EverQuest Lore Feedback - We need your help!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Pip, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Rajaah Elder

I've got ideas for six expacs at this point, feel free to use any of it:

-Kerafyrm, the Sleeper. He's probably the biggest bad in EQ, was never actually slain in storyline, and deserves to come back one final time. Especially considering that the Crusaders who imprisoned him are in CoV. Maybe he broke free during the events of CoV with the Claws faction in disarray. He could be off somewhere (the underused Odus, perhaps, or the extreme north-lands of Antonica) trying to build a new crystal palace and more prismatic dragons or something like that. Could even bring Nagafen and Vox into play and finally confirm whether they're Kera's parents. Having them in a modern EQ expac would be a great nod to the original game, whether you fight them or team up with them against Kera.

-The Burning Lands part two (The Azure Lands?) TBL is imo one of the most interesting expansions and it's still got a lot of untapped potential. A second TBL with water/earth themes could be great, especially if the factions were shared with TBL's four factions, with Loruella as the endzone. Just no full-underwater zones (maybe like, one) plz. Look at Thalassius and other Buried Sea zones for inspiration. Maybe we could finally get Prexus the Oceanlord as the big boss here.

-Plague of Trakanon. We've still got some eastern jungle-themed Kunark zones that could be remade, and I'd love to see a few of those done with an endboss of Trakanon, who has some new poison-death weapon. For zones Karnor, Swamp, an Emerald Jungle/Trak's Teeth fusion, CoM, Sebilis would be a fun grouping for this, maybe an eastern Dreadlands / FV fusion zone as the entrance to the expac from Lceanium. So it's like Lceanium->Plaguelands(Karnor)->Swamp->Jungle(CoM/Seb). Also would be cool to see a Mines of Nurga remake added to FM as a bonus somewhere.

-If you want to mine a FOURTH remake expansion out of Kunark, you could also do Warslik's Wood(Dalnir)->Field of Bone(Kurn/Kaesora)->Cabilis, with Cabilis being the endzone and the lair of a new corrupt Iksar Emperor or something along those lines. Would be a fitting end to the Kunark saga I think.

-Discord. Like others have said, the Discord storyline has lots of untapped potential. Could have another OOW type expansion with a few zones in space. Can go nuts with the sci-fi here. IIRC the lore of the muramite expansions said that there were four "spearheads" or Riders of Discord and we've fought possibly three of them (Mata, Brekt, Tunat if he counts), so there's room for the fourth.

-The Undiscovered Lands. An expansion that goes back and adds a zone to earlier expansions (a modern zone, not a zone counted, so it wouldn't change things for TLPs), giving us an opportunity to revisit some old areas en route to do the new things. It'd be a chance to finish some of the "unfinished" zonelines that are out there. There are a bunch I believe. Think Plane of War in PoP, except something like that across other expacs. Pretty much anywhere with a "defunct zoneline" could work, but I'd stick to existing defunct zonelines rather than adding new ones, since it would let people theorize on what zones might be added. Jaggedpine Forest has one, The Nexus has a blocked zoneline on the west side, the defunct portal in Shard's Landing could be another zone, etc. That's 3 of a bunch of possibilities for zones for this expac.
  2. Krogoth New Member

Just gonna leave this link here for totally not unbiased reasons. Not enough to build a whole expansion off of, but it is lore I got caught up in once upon a time. (And at least I linked to the part not written in RP fashion.)
    Xyroff-cazic. likes this.
  3. Sain_Rathe Lorekeeper

IIRC there was mention of Discord running the Alarans out of their home world. It would be interesting to help them face Discord and return home.
  4. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

It would be nice to see an expansion that draws a bit from ancient (real world) history. I believe some of the devs stated that they enjoyed the research and content creation for 'The Burning Lands.' Elements of ancient history that seamlessly melds themes and motifs to the game will go a long way to make the work enjoyable and fulfilling for the developers, and engaging for the players.

The Burning Lands Part 2. It would be cool to see the Ondine from an Atlantis-like city-state. They could be amassing a navy to conquer the other planes. The Duende could follow the theme of ancient Sparta, Djinn as Athens, and the Efreeti as Persia.

The story of Lord Inquisitor Seru. Lord Seru and his city of Sanctus Seru draws much inspiration from Ancient Rome. You get the sense that he is the EverQuest incarnation of dictatorship or fascism. You also get 'The Chronicles of Riddick' vibes.

Race: The Elddar. The ancient elves have long been mysterious and surprisingly limited in the game. They were touched on in Lost Dungeons of Norrath (Takish Hiz), Prophecy of Ro (The Elddar Forest), Secrets of Faydwer (Hills of Shade), and Call of the Forsaken (Argin Hiz). You can take The Elddar storyline in many directions. For instance (spoiler alert), the antagonist of Netflix's Altered Carbon Season 2 is a race of ancient but technologically advanced beings called "The Elders." In an interesting story, the consciousness of an Elder is released from a tree to take vengeance on the humans who destroyed their civilization.

I really like the very clean opportunities that the aforementioned options provide. :)
    Laurana, Gyurika Godofwar and Svann2 like this.
  5. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. Ginormus Journeyman

Call me crazy, but I'd love to see things happen in Erud's Crossing, and Ocean of Tears.
  7. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

Marauder's Mire (Stormhammer Server zone) was located in Erud's Crossing.

I wonder aloud if it will be the Erudite Heritage Crate teleport too. :)
    Tsavo likes this.
  8. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

Other fairly obscure but interesting storylines and characters:

Sphinxes (Rathe Mountains, Plane of Sky, Plane of Mischief, and Jewel of Altiki)

The Tribunal

Brownies (specifically, Nillipuss)

Totem People (of the Plane of Growth)

Monk Epic Retelling (Monk Grandmasters)

The Titans of Stonebrunt Mountains
  9. Duder Augur

The unexplored/undiscovered moon of Drinal. Also, I know it's an unlikely fantasy but a Norrath where the rules that define it's world and the game within are actually enforced. I know, what a dream, right?
    WeezFv, Laurana, Coagagin and 3 others like this.
  10. Aimss New Member

I've read mentions of Discordians coming back. This would be an excellent opportunity to revisit "The Void" and wrap up old story lines that have been tainted by Discord. Let the story carry itself this way. You could honestly let them invade anything at anytime and use it to explain how these beings were able to invade realms and try and fight literal gods. The gods struggle, why however? Could it be lack of worship? Lack of power due to timelines beings awry? The opportunities are completely limitless if you took this approach.
  11. Windance Augur

I always found the Ssraeskza story line interesting and loved breaking into the temple to defeat the emp.

TBL was the most unique story line we've had and I really loved the art work. I hated the naming for the npc's, which was very confusing. TBL also had one of the set of self portal items ever.
    Kaenneth and Skuz like this.
  12. Jumbur Improved Familiar

The guild lobby corpse-summoners, what is there angle? They claim to be serving Luclin, but no matter how you look at it, they disrupt the life/death-cycle of the most powerful mortals, and why do mobs respawn after they are killed... I smell a world-spanning conspiracy...involving the very fabric of destiny...someone wants to keep the population of the afterlife unnaturally low...:eek:

And why are there so few children, is there a connection somewhere?
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I would enjoy a return to Luclin (so long as it has a couple of new zones alongside the revisited ones).
    I could also see enjoying an expansion or two that gave us Drinal to explore, perhaps some lost sect of combine & Shissar became collaborators with each other after fighting for ages to survive the harsh environment there giving us an odd new empire to explore.

Big fan of Mayong Mistmoore and his scheming, but I think he has had enough time being a direct presence, be cool to see some references to him or for more of his schemes to come to light and some broad overarching plot take shape that he is weaving behind the scenes, his failed attempt at godhood having left him in a poor state licking his wounds perhaps, some hints being referenced as he begins building up for some new manipulation of the Norrathian adventurers to make them his unwitting army for some new plot, but tis being more string pulling from the shadows in the backgrounds of some other expansions, maybe he has made some pact with the discordians or other past foes of Norrath where he seeks to usurp them & steal their power for himself.

A continuation of the Discord storyline in which we take the fight to Discord has massive potential & could take place over a couple of expansions in the coming years, this probably has the most untapped potential but also the biggest chance to not live up to expectations, who was it that bossed Mata Muram, Brekt & Tunat around?
    What were the origins of the Discordian empire, can the Norrathian adventurers fight them & punish them for all the chaos they have wreaked on other worlds, might we even see some new worlds to save from them in the process, would we push them back far enough to secure a new future for the Norrathian universe or would we discover that the Discordians were building their massive world conquering army for some other purpose?

My own bit of a stab at writing something EQ related a while back is below, upon reflection it perhaps draws too many parallels with the Alaran storyline.

Fall of Skythia

Word of odd beings exploring the lands of Norrathians has caused great concern, some have been questioned about why they are here & they speak of a vast battle taking place, a battle being waged against a deadly foe, so they must search for a place for their people should their war for their home be lost.

These creatures refer to themselves as the Skyth, and they claim to be natives of Norrath that have existed for millennia beneath the waves of the ocean depths, in a city fashioned upon the floor of the ocean, those few who have encountered the Skyth tell how unsettled it made them feel, these are not weak or timid beings, they are physicaly powerful and likely well versed in the arcane but something about them is deeply troubling, maybe even evil.

The Skyth say that they are battling an enemy that threatens their existence, their home, once deep beneath the waves, has been thrust up out of the inky darkness creating the new continent of Cytus a hot desert land with strange mountains and a huge coral reef around it's coast, and within it the vast city of the Skyth an empire created over thousands of years.
    This has forced the Skyth to adapt, and through terrible magics the Skyth Magi have transformed their race of deep-ocean dwellers into a new land species that bears little resemblance to their old selves, their existence threatened they have sent out scouts to look for other places they might settle or call home, ones they might be willing to take by force, even as they still battle an overwhelming menace to try and save their once mighty empire.

From the deep recesses of the world ......something has emerged, a swarm unlike any the world or even the Skyth has ever seen are slaughtering this strange new race in their thousands & destroying much of the home of the Skyth, but worse is to come behind these - things that existed long before Veeshan ever claimed this world.

Travel to Cytus, find out more about the Skyth & their enemies & what threat they pose to the rest of Norrath, the Skyth may well be a threat themselves but they may yet prove to be a new ally against a new enemy.
  14. Gangaskan New Member

Torvonillious, focusing on individual classics (venri sathir and his rise to power, omm and his rise to power etc..)
    eqMath likes this.
  15. smash Augur

For some future expansion, some sort of time travel through void, what would have happened, if we had not defeated the discordians,
    See the result of that...
  16. Dre. Altoholic

Something something Crushbone/Deathfist orcs.
    WeezFv, Bumtil, Fenthen and 2 others like this.
  17. Verily Tjark Augur

Fix the lag.

I think bane weapons would be a good change of pace. I always thought it was one of the interesting things about raiding in Luclin. It would add another layer to raids which are by your own admission harder to come up with new ideas for mechanics.

Heck you could even have bane spells... not just a certain already existing spell line that does a flat 2 million damage or whatever. Throw in some player made spells that are required for casters to DPS too.

I think we need to go to Luclin or Drinal. It's time we go to a moon.
    WeezFv, eq4kyle, Fenthen and 2 others like this.
  18. minimind The Village Idiot

I like stories of fallen empires coming out of the shadows and rebuilding.
    I'm super interested in further developing Iksar lore... especially that of Iksar Berserkers.
    Fenthen, Kaenneth, Skuz and 2 others like this.
  19. Kohnn Elder

Would love to see Bristlebane cause some mischief across Norrath. Also, there is an item called “Lost Marble” that drops in PoMischief that I’d really like to attach to an NPC or quest. Someone lost their marbles in PoMischief!
    bortage likes this.
  20. Astral64 Augur

Mayong Mistmoore

Kerafyrm

Veeshan
    ShurTheRealShur likes this.