Design a solo mission for each class

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Evye, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Evye Augur

I was just thinking about this.
    If you were to design a solo mission for your class.
    A mission that draws on the natural skills that each class has or is good at.
    What would they be like?

I'll go 1st:
    As a ranger it would be a mission where the goal would be to kill X amount of blue con humanoids in X amount of time.
    So a few outposts in a wooded area under siege when you get there.
    Each a little harder than the last. More mobs, some unrootable mobs and finally a boss mob.
    The mob Hits could be tuned so a ranger could tank and heal with a bit of work if needed.
    Death or Losing too many outpost npcs would be failure.

I feel like with some support heavy classes the missions could have NPC groups that act like a normal group. A Cleric missions for instance could be all about keeping your npc group alive.

Maybe the missions would be split up by Support DPS and Tanking instead of individual class. And allow every class to try each one.
  2. minimind The Village Idiot

The Berserker Epic quests (including Epic Request) are actually pretty darn good at forcing the berserker to use all of available abilities (particularly if primarily solo'd.

Still, I wouldn't turn down another zerk-centric quest/mission. If one were created, I think it would need to include...
    • Need to use of snare, snare, and jolt abilities
    • Need to swap slash, blunt, and pierce weapons
    • A DPS check (burn!)
    • A defense check (use them "Oh Sh*t" buttons!)
    • An endurance drain or two (forcing use of rest/breather/wind)
    • A ranged DPS check
    • A self-control check (Don't hurt the fragile friendlies, no AEs)
    Skuz and Evye like this.
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Oh, gawd....please, no.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. Evye Augur

Why not ? I would love something to do while waiting for my FS to log in besides trade skills.
    There are a lot of times people are solo in this game.
  5. Evye Augur

Oh I dig this!
    Almost like a tutorial at higher levels!

6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This has been done in many other games. It winds up being a tuning nightmare and takes way more Dev time (think HA scaling) than we get benefit for.

I think a better use of time would be doubling down on fixing server lag, bug fixes, and item/spell/proc consolidation.

Not saying it couldn't be fun. But it would entail a large opportunity cost on the developer side.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  7. Evye Augur

Thats fair I wasnt really suggesting it. Just wondering what the missions would be like.

8. Cicelee Augur

Back in the day, what truly separated the great magicians from the average magicians was the design you would make on the ground as you dropped mod rods for players in NTOV. Therefore I think any magician solo task would involve summoning things and what shapes you can make on the ground with them.
  9. minimind The Village Idiot

Ok, I never knew that about mages and it makes so much sense. What other droppable items are worth dropping for group/raid members?
  10. Roxas MM Augur

epic retelling gives a solo task for every class.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. FranktheBank Augur

Yes, but the difficulty is so wildly different between them. Bst is impossible to solo in omens because they remove your pet. A few others I know are pretty difficult, but bst is the only one I know that is straight impossible.
  12. Bigstomp Augur

A warriors would probably look something like this from what I recall from soloing back in Veksar.

Kill a mob. Maybe 2 mobs. Med/bandage. Repeat.
  13. Elyssanda Bardbrain

as long as I can use a healer merc, I'm game for something bard related.
    Skuz and Evye like this.
  14. Vumad Cape Wearer

This concept would work if they designed molo missions. The missions would check the class you are and make some minor changes in the level design for each class.

For example...

Warriors, SKs, Pallies and mages, mobs would hit harder.
    Rogues, zerkers, DPS classes mobs would have higher HP.
    ENC, BRD, MNK, etc the mobs would be closer requiring split pulling.

So same mission, just with some mob hp/hit/spacing modifiers for tuning. Everyone can bring a merc.

It's very feasible to make a missions, especially one that gives current currency, that is easy to tune per class.

They can also adjust for armor and AA by having easy, medium and hard modes which are just -20%, base and +20% to mob and to currency.

This could be a big help for people who are LFG or have limited play times.

Most importantly as expansions become obsolete and populations in them drop.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Tucoh Augur

I've always thought it'd be interesting to have a skill-based MMO where the player's level was determined by the highest rank they achieve in a solo mission like this.

It's kind of a dumb idea because it's nearly impossible to build a solo-mission that truly replicates a multiplayer experience, but it's still an interesting idea.
    Evye likes this.
  16. Tour Augur

While a nice concept, they are too under staffed and with limited time to make content that by definition is limited to a fraction of the player base when those same limited resources could instead be allocated to creating / fixing content for all players.
    Elyssanda, Corwyhn Lionheart and Evye like this.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Wizard - solo task - port to every zone you have a port spell for....game over!
    Coagagin and Evye like this.
  18. Evye Augur

Very good Ideas!
    Molo is a great idea because it would make things more flexible and it would still be fair since every class can have every merc.

Not only do ALOT of people play solo, but everyone CAN. Who hasn't logged into EQ and tried to get something started but can't, and don't want to log in boxes or don't have any. This kind of mission would be perfect for them(everyone?).

If something like this was in place ALOT more people would have access to the type 5 group augs every expansion.

Skuz likes this.
  19. Chaosflux Augur

For Paladin, id probably lean towards something like Tris Wallows from Demiplane, but i would add an element of curing certain minis in the right order as well, add waves of undead and living mobs and bosses that push the limits of self healing and where cooldowns had to be used intelligently to pass a dps check and heal check simultaneously.

Throw in some hatchet deathstrike mechanics to see if they are paying attention and to make the dps/heal checks more difficult.

With the entire event powering up the longer it goes on to encourage best practices.
    Evye likes this.
  20. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I saw you playing doctor with Fairies in certain zones, Evye!