Has anyone ever considered this idea for a new TLP/EQ revamp

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Gruffish, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Gruffish Elder

Start a TLP and progress through velious and then release a new expansion for that server.

I loved the original through velious but luclin ruined it.

It would be like an EQ version 1.5 going off in an alternate direction. Don’t pretend you wouldn’t play it

I think this would be amazing if they don’t make the mistakes they made with luclin.

SIDENOTE: fix the character animations. They’re awful.
  2. Lejaun Augur

Unfortunately, I don't expect any new expansions for that level range or because of a TLP. The EQ crew is pretty barebones right now and just barely putting out expansions for live servers.
    Skuz, minimind and Barton like this.
  3. Barton The Mischievous

The current team can barely keep up with fixes and putting out the regular expansion, I find it highly unlikely they would try this idea.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. JimboBobJimBobJimbo New Member

Yes, this idea has been brought up dozens of times
    Xyroff-cazic. and Skuz like this.
  5. Aneuren Tempered Steel

I always enjoy this idea, but I don't think the existing resources would allow for it to be done in a way that would do justice to our fond memories of what expansions in those eras were like.

Hopefully one day we will get the EQ3 that many of us crave.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Yes, several posters have suggested this previously.

The reason this is unworkable is: resources.

In order to make an expansion for the TLP servers - at any point in the time line other than after the current expansion - the dev team would need to NOT create an expansion for the live servers, there is only one team that create & deliver content.
    The same reason is why new Epic 3.0 weapons have not appeared thus far & are unlikely to, because the amount of work required to create them, and do so in a way that the 1.0 & 2.0 were done would be so much work that the existing team would not have time to create an expansion as well.

So it is an either/or thing and not making an expansion for the live game is just far too stupid to consider given that is a known annual income that the company needs and an expansion created for 1 TLP server is going to be servicing a far far smaller number of customers than an expansion for the live game - which later on also becomes an expansion for the TLP - if they last long enough to see it.

The best any TLP could possibly expect in terms of *new content* that was not part of the existing timeline is if the game gains a larger subscriber base / paying customer base and can increase the size of the developer team by a solid enough amount that they could start creating some additional dungeons or zones for the early game, such as Veksar was back in the day for example, or a couple of revamps of existing zones that are barely used in order to make them more attractive.

TL;DR: cool idea, seen it before dozens of times, it has very little to no chance of happening unless the game drastically increases its playerbase and EQ has 500k subs a year or so from now.
  7. minimind The Village Idiot

Blue sky thinking, not considering resources, I think it's a fun idea. I like alternative history storylines in most forms of entertainment and think this would be fun as well.

Considering resources, I think we all know this isn't a likely endeavor. But a fun thought!!
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Before we ever get an EQ3 I hope we get a BIG update to the 2 existing EQ games, like putting both EQ & EQ2 into Unreal Engine 4 for example, new character models, overhauled UI, more race/class options (same classes more races).

I think the most affordable way for Darkpaw to grow is to organically look after the games that they have rather than creating a new game, there is a time & a place for a new EQ, but not until they bring EQ & EQ2 kicking & screaming into the present & grow the user bases of both in order to have the revenue stream that could support a billion dollar AAA MMO that EQ3 would ideally be.
    Aneuren likes this.
  9. Aneuren Tempered Steel

I would enjoy this as much if not more than a new title. But on the balance of probabilities, I think it is more likely that the company might find investors for a new title rather than a dramatic update to the existing game.

So many wishes.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Lejaun Augur

The interesting part of this to me is that I could very easily picture diehard fans of the game willing to do a great deal of the work if a framework for it was put into place and they knew it would be used.
  11. Tweakfour17 Augur

What don't you like about Luclin?
  12. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Somehow it seems to be the classic through Velious TLP recycler players who tend to request "new expansions" for these eras, but then they don't play the actual expansions that already exist past Velious.
    Nolrog, code-zero and Skuz like this.
  13. jeskola pheerie

The real thing they want is to not grind AA endlessly. I think they are fishing for more pre-AA content.
    Skuz likes this.
  14. jeskola pheerie

I propose one new or revamp "TLP zone" per year to freshen up the TLP experience. This could be done alongside existing era realignment for some zones for even more freshening

2021: 1 classic era zone
    2022: 1 kunark era zone

And so forth through probably POP
  15. code-zero Augur

I'm trying to recall some of the complaints

Travel is trivialized

Armor dyes (not sure if that's a Luclin thing or not but I have heard a lot of complaints)

Luclin is too SciFi

Mounts

New character models
  16. Mrjon3s Augur

if your raid geared pretty much any combo works. BST is a good choice because it has chloroblast at lvl 59 so it can heal almost as well as druids and shamans.
  17. Machen New Member

What in the world makes you think that they would go a different direction than Luclin, if they did something like this?

IF DPG did this, you would not have an expansion produced by the dev team that was here 20 years ago when Velious was created. You would have an expansion produced by the team that is making current live expansions. If you don't like what they are making now currently for live, you probably would not like what they would make if they created a new level 60 expansion.
    Xyroff-cazic., Skuz and KrakenReality like this.
  18. FranktheBank Augur

LoY (now PoP on TLP) aka one of the best expacs ever.