Server Selection for Returning Player

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Ventullo, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Ventullo New Member

I was wondering if Bertoxxulous would be a good server for a returning player after over 15 years. I would like to find a server with a decent population as I would eventually like to join a guild and party up with people. I have no issue soloing for a majority of the levels however I want to make sure I find a server that has a decent economy and the ability to join up with a group of people at the higher levels. I initially joined and started on FV due to the high population but now I have found out that there are a lot of box players and that the economy is messed up. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Iven the Lunatic

Just do it the old way: /ran 100

0-24 = Bert
    25-49 = Firiona Vie
    50-74 = Rizlona
    75-99 = EQ20th Mangler
    100 = WoW
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

If you go the the "guild recruitment" sub forums here then you can look thru them and see if any interest you and that could give you an idea of which server.

There is one on Xegony that is quite large and seems very active.

Or you could bounce around and check each server out by making a level one character and playing on it for a few weeks.

Tunare seems good, I see a lot of players lfg in general chat - which won't help at all if your a F2P account cause those accounts cannot use general chat.

Server Bert and FV had some big down times over the last 2 days.

Did you recover your old account?
  4. Ventullo New Member

Thank you CatPaws, I will do that regarding the Guild Recruitment and check out some of the options.

That is exactly what I did with FV. I created a character and got hooked back into Everquest again, haha. However, I had some concerns when I read about what kind of server FV is and that alarmed me and I understand now that you cannot transfer off that server.

I actually got discouraged about trying to recover my old account but I actually just looked at your last reply to my other forum post and decided to reach out with my new account and explain to them the situation and see if there is any chance to get my old account. I guess it does not hurt to at least try, right?
  5. MarttinPH Augur

The simple truth every sever has a lot of boxing on it.

FV economy is wack for many reasons, but mainly because it is very easy to get raid loot.

I suggest you try Ragefire. It isn't as far as the other progression servers or the live servers, but has a decent server population for leveling.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Welcome back.
  7. Silver-Crow Augur

For info there are 3 type of servers Available.

1. FV - Special ruleset, everything is tradable so attracts a large RMT crowd who box heavily and sell the proceeds.
    2. Live servers - No special ruleset, and it's a long grind to 115, but all the quality of life perks are there such as mercs to help you level. If you choose to boost a character to 85 it can be a little boggling getting your head round all the abilities/spells. The downside of live is you don't get to see much of the content in the earlier expacs, as everyone is crowded into the latest zones.
    3. TLP's or progression servers, There's a few of these now at various stages of unlock - Aradune and Rizlona are the newest most populated and are still in Velious so very early days. Rizlona is a free for all box ruleset (no limit on boxes on the same machine - no truebox). Aradune has truebox and is supposed to enforce a you and one box limit... although you don't have to look too far in the usual spots to see people flouting the ruleset.

Check allakhazam https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Progression_Servers_Aradune for a note of where each of the TLP's are up to.

Typically FV always flags as busy, but that's usually boxes and not real players.
    The live servers are pretty static populations, there's alot of boxing, but not on the same scale as FV
    The Early TLP server populations are always very good, but they do tend to die off a bit during the lvl 70 grind between Omens and TSS due to boredom and a new shiny TLP starting.

TLP is a great place to get restarted, but it's still unclear what happens when they reach live. Phinny, Selos and Miragul all reach live this year, so there's alot of eyes on them to see what happens to them.

I hope this helps you make a decision.