Dear Darkpaw : We are disappointed

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by I_Love_My_Bandwidth, Jan 8, 2021.

1. dwish Augur

Seriously? Do you have any idea how huge that undertaking would be to even bring the classes into SOMEWHAT of a balance with all those nerfs? That would be a huge undertaking and I don't see daybreak having the time or manpower to accomplish what you are suggesting. What would happen is some classes would be permanently screwed up with promises of fixes that would never come.

In a perfect world, they would upgrade their hardware a bit to be able to easily accomodate everything that is in the game now and then be more careful going forward with new abilities and such to try to slow the increase of lag in the years to come. Neutering basically every melee class in the game and trying to do a huge re balance would be a nightmare.
  2. KrakenReality Augur

Upgrading hardware isn’t going to accomplish anything. Look at WoW, they suffered from the same issues with too many calculations per swing and spell cast and their raid size is much smaller.

It’s a design issue, they’re asking too much from their code. It’s going to be a lot of work, but they did it to themselves.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth and Fenthen like this.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I don't necessarily buy the idea that this is a design issue. I'm sure calculation processing can compound issues.

I play on EQ2 and Planetside 2. (I do not play on DCUO or LOTRO). Daybreak frequently suffers from lag and outages on those two other games.

I am probably wrong to say it is a geographic issue (latency may play a minor-moderate role).

Though, it is equally as likely or more likely related to load capacity (software/hardware side).

Edit: EQ2 raid stat crunch is even more brutal at the billions and trillions numbers.
  4. dwish Augur

You may be right. I would think improved hardware would make some sort of difference as well but I will admit I have no idea if it would or not. Regardless, even them spending a decent amount of money on upgraded hardware is probably a pipe dream anyways as this is a 20+ year old game and was just recently sold again to a new company. Guessing spending money on new hardware probably not on the agenda.

I will say if this skeleton team of devs tries to basically remake 70% of the classes to fix the issue i feel it’s going to be a disaster. I appreciate what they do and I think they do a good job given what they have to work with, but it would be a monumental amount of work. Melee classes would have to be built new from the ground up basically. I just don’t see this happening.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

(almost) Everyone uses virtual servers now a days and most have for years. Even if it's running on your physical server hardware it's probably virtual.
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Considering EQ is 21 years old, I wouldn't be surprised if somehow the game was restricted to certain physical servers.

I am not trying to contradict; just saying EQ may exist with special circumstances. :)
  7. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

Procs are fun guys, cmon

[IMG]

[IMG]

Disclaimer: This was a co-ordinated effort to proc as much as possible off a single cast that I half- prior to CoV beta, I can't envision this ever happening on a raid outside of a generally well prepared/supported Necro making a few pretty big oopsies
    Fenthen, Cicelee, niente and 3 others like this.
  8. KrakenReality Augur

Man, you keep posting so much nonsense. Take a break, already.
  9. Benito EQ player since 2001.

This issue is beyond EQ1 raid design.

EQ2 and Planetside 2 players will tell you so. EQ2 raids and servers lag and crash. Planetside 2 servers (specifically US-West Connery and US-East Emerald) lag and crash at random times. If I played DCUO and LOTRO, I would probably relay the same observations.
    Oscig likes this.
  10. Oscig Elder

In the past year I've played LOTRO, DDO, EQ2, and EQ(all DBG property.) All of them have had serious server issues.
    scaethach, Barton and Benito like this.
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Yup. They risk losing their core customers (EQ1/EQ2 raiders, Planetside 2 outfits).

The lag complaints should be elevated to companywide management and not individual studios. Probably time to hire an outside firm to investigate and resolve the issue.
    Fenthen and Metanis like this.
  12. Tucoh Augur

You're overestimating how much balancing would need to be redone to return the class balance to where it is today.
  13. kimbotta Lorekeeper

When they introduced the luck stat I was puzzled. That stat adds another check server-side to everything a character pretty much does. I wasn't sure why they would want to add any more to a server-side calculation, but they did anyway. \

It would be nice for the powers that be to address what they think is the biggest cause of the "Lag".
    Fenthen, Duder and Barton like this.
  14. dwish Augur

I don’t think I am. Removing double/triple attack alone would neuter melee classes, not to mention tank classes would be doing a lot less aggro due to decreased swings. Knights, sk in particular, are heavily dependent on melee (with 2.0) and proc healing. I don’t play casters but I’m pretty sure mage is pretty reliant on swarm pet damage. There are also a lot of different procs in the game that benefit classes in meaningful ways.

Removing triple/double attack, procs, and swarm pets like you first suggested would fundamentally change the game and affect all classes to a degree. It would be a huge amount of work to get everyone back to where they should be and some classes wouldn’t even feel the same.
  15. Zynt Augur

I imagine all of the DPG titles have the same issues because of the same reasons. I know that EQ1 and 2 are having lag issues because of the same reason. At least it's a part of the reason. It's the multitude of combat/spell checks required for every player and pet. They got rid of certain mechanics in 2 to help with the lag and it absolutely did not work.

Also, one of the Devs over there has commented that Covid has nothing to do with the lag. So we can quit talking about that. Same for "The wildfires in CA."
  16. Benito EQ player since 2001.

That was animation dev Ttobey.

This is the exact quote that may have been made in a jest:

In fairness, I may be wrong about geographic latency but may be correct pandemic-related load and population peaks.
  17. Svann2 The Magnificent

yer losin it bro
  18. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I am quoting Ttobey and not myself.

If you are referring to my other posts, this kind of speculation is quite tame compared to what is going on in the raid race thread or typical TLP threads. lol.
  19. Bigstomp Augur

Huh?

VM's run on top of physical servers. By definition you lose some performance by virtualizing.

Most calls get passed down to actual hardware now vs emulation so generally it's negligible - but it does exist.

Obviously if you misconfigure stuff the VM can run better. But assuming a competent admin handles both, the raw hardware should be a small bit faster.
    Tucoh and Fenthen like this.
  20. Hogwilld Elder

No, virtual machines can be adjusted and clustered to balance so that one doesn't overrun the hardware and choke out other processes.
    Jennre likes this.