Warrior - best 3 or 4 box team?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Zaltan, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Gerzer Lorekeeper

if staying with 3... which am I dropping ?

1. Shaman for melee or caster dps merc/heal with merc and slow with bard
    2. Zerker for melee dps merc and DoT/leopard with shaman heal with merc
    3. Zerker and run 3 dps mercs with shaman doing his thing?
    4. Option I haven’t thought of ?

I can fade on bard for wipes or FD Rez on monk if I went that way

I ran Mage/Wiz/Chanter with mercs in EoK and there was nothing group wise I couldn’t handle... I’m assuming those days are done. Still trying to catch up with changes....

also as a wildcard.....I have a 100 SK I would be willing to swap out with warrior... if that was the way.
  2. Vaeeldar Augur

Well the SK self heal abilities + epic will make a huge difference for you - war is viable but the SK is easier to box since you can supplement healing.

The best choice is to drop the bard because lack of group heals will hurt in modern game in some areas. BUt you could drop shaman - you’ll just have the occasional tough mission.
  3. Gerzer Lorekeeper

thanks for the insight - so to have an easy low stress journey into modern content:

SK
    Shaman
    DPS
    merc
    merc
    merc

ghetto CC with shaman since SK can get singles most times ?
  4. Vaeeldar Augur

Yep. That 4th char makes a big difference though I'd consider doing 4 personally. Bard or another zerk (high dps) you'd be surprised how much easier things will get.
    Gerzer likes this.
  5. jhaimes Lorekeeper

how would war/shm/bard and for the 4th, a necro be? the necro revamp i hear makes them very good dps dealers and they can help heal or give many or rez if needed as well...what do you think?
  6. Vaeeldar Augur

So the necro is very good dps but with shaman and bard you have a huge benefit to ber. I have a 3 necro group they are super powerful but with the above group I'd still pick ber first, monk second, mage 3rd, necro 4th.

The necro won't be bad to be clear but I'm a big min maxer (hence the 3 of a char group for alliance). Biggest issue you will run into on war is the healing - it's a lot of box work to maintain healingo n just shaman in tough content (think vulak/crusader mission) can you yes, but it's a pain in the . It's one of the reason why I lean towards bard/cleric/tank - 3 dps these days.

It's all a balance the necro will be a fine addition but with bard/shaman I'd recommend a melee.
  7. Tucoh Augur

war/brd/sha would be my choice.

war/brd/ber or war/sha/ber would be great too.

The warrior can be swapped for the sk in any of those combinations.

Warriors are easier to box than SKs because you can mostly pop your aggro/defensive cooldowns and then switch to your other characters while maintaining aggro / survivability. Warriors are harder to box than SKs because you're reliant on other characters (mercs or your shaman) to supply your healing, so you must either trust the healer merc or swap to your shaman.
  8. Vaeeldar Augur

Everybody says this but I find my sk (have 2 now) 10x easier to box then my war. The ability to self heal lets me play the tank, bard, cleric on one pc without every flipping over to the bard/cleric and then mostly focus on the dps for high dps. I like my war but sometimes the inability to heal is frustrating especially when playing shaman vs cleric for heals.

Running through vulak last few days was easier on SK overall because of the epic + heals, I could finish with shaman main heal vs the war pretty much needed the cleric.

That said I run high dps setups I always have bard/tank + healer + 3pds. I haven’t done a shaman/cleric group.

Oh and i don’t even slow with bard. It’s just hard to not recommend a healer + dps these days as your core setup given how weak merc dps or heals are.
    Tucoh likes this.
  9. Bigstomp Augur

I run war, clr, bard also totally manual.
    Usually have a 4th char who just autofollows and does very little if anything. (with a melee + clr merc - clr merc mainly so I can be lazy at times if the mobs are soft enough the merc can handle it)

Merc healers suck bad enough I spend most of my actual fight time on the cleric. Lock it with the warrior, sick the bard on it, then go to heal time.
  10. Thewiz Augur

This is somewhat related I have a question about zerker dps: I am on Rizlona and currently box war/clr/brd/enc/wiz/wiz. I want to dump the chanter and wizards and go with 3 zerkers at some point. Would it be worthwhile to do so in GoD or wait until a later expansion?
  11. FranktheBank Augur

Zerkers arent top tier for a long time, monks just way more dps. It depends on how worthwhile it is to reroll and regear 3 characters like 2-3 years from now.
    Tucoh likes this.
  12. Gr8fuldave Augur

How do you guys handle multiple Melee toons while boxing? Do you manually switch to each toon and position them? Or do you try to position the mob in melee range with the tank? Do you use auto follow? I've found that pushing auto follow can send the toon running in circles and causing trains/wipes. I'm used to boxing casters (SK, Enc, Dru, Wiz, Mage) but want to try my hand at a melee team (SK, Bard, Shm, BST, Mage/Monk) but it seems overwhelming to have so many toons to maneuver every pull.
  13. aozs Augur

Autofollow is the easiest, set all your clients to 60fps (even in the background) since performance can be frame rate dependent. You'll have to learn the behavior of autofollow (it's kinda awkward) to get used to it but it'll work in most situations.

Double shrink helps to remove collision detection. I've also found that moving at bard speed tends to make things wonky since the servers aren't exactly lag-free.

Personally I'd recommend i s boxer if you want to do a melee group, it's a lot more work compared to alt-tab and pressing a social.
    Tucoh likes this.
  14. Gr8fuldave Augur

I do use it and have an auto follow key mapped. So do you pull the mob to camp then just click auto follow? I'll give this a go. Thank you
  15. aozs Augur

It's faster to leave the team on follow all the time and just run the entire team from mob to mob instead of pulling to camp. Tucoh had a video showing this playstyle a while back.

At higher levels when the tank gets beefy enough you don't really need cc or single pulls, just tank and kill everything that comes.
    Gr8fuldave likes this.
  16. Tucoh Augur

Aozs' advice to pump your FPS is essential. I have my boxes at 80fps, which helps even if your monitor can't render it :D This will keep them locked onto your main much better, even with bard speed.

Other thing I've done is use GINA triggers for my boxes to whine when they can't do things. For casters they whine when they're interrupted, for melee they whine when they're too far from their current target or can't see them. You can see this in the "Can't See" gina warnings in the center left of the screen.

This is a pretty good fight to showcase how even someone who is very good at boxing melee will struggle in situations where there are multiple summoning mobs. Mobs that summon are just the worst for this.