What is going on?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Maedhros, Jan 7, 2021.

1. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Technically, everyone in the race is a loser except for 1.
    Skuz likes this.
  2. Triconix Augur

The fact that this thread became a race argument is simply sad. It's a thread about the atrocious lag. If you want a thread on the merits of a race...make another thread.

But for what it's worth, there are certain people doing their best trying to convince themselves a race doesn't matter. If people enjoy a race, let them. If people don't enjoy a race, don't partake. What is the point of belittling opinions of how people enjoy this game? Competition never hurt anyone. Personally, my life doesn't allow me to take PTO to raid the minute content unlocks. I'm happy my guild decided to not raid at noon so I could make raids. My race was helping the guild beat raids on the first day as quickly as possible. We won that race. I'm happy.

Now, can we get back to being on topic? I would like to hear an update on what is causing the lag or potential reasons why lag is occurring.
  3. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

That discussion is here:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?goto/post&id=3992861#post-3992861

I had just suggested in the second post of this thread that the community work it out to help each other experience less lag.

I'm told 'the race' necessitates all starting at the same time, and we're (pun intended) off to the races.

The consensus clearly is (vis a vis lag) it ain't getting fixed anytime soon. The code word is 'Tech Debt'.
  4. Triconix Augur

While that analysis is good, it's nothing more than an outsider perspective giving us a correlation, not a causation. We have no idea of the hardware that is running EQ. We don't know their network, the routing, proxies, firewalls, internal traffic, etc.

Yes, the increase of overall traffic will definitely stress the entire infrastructure, but I'm not going to assume procs are the sole reason why we experience lag. Maybe their ISP is dropping packets to and from their datacenter and their internal servers are expecting responses and not receiving them in an expected amount of time and therefore mechanics are failing in events on the front end that we, as players, are experiencing? Maybe they are experiencing memory leaks? What if there is a misconfig on the firewall and it's blocking necessary UDP/TCPIP traffic ports? How would we know that? Hint: We wouldn't.
    Metanis likes this.
  5. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

You seem to be saying we are going to forumquest out a solution.

If you read every post by a dev (and jchan) that mentions 'Tech Debt'. You will be more informed about the companies position on doing anything about any of it.

Because for one thing it is many contributing factors, though I assure you Sancus is pretty far from an outsider in that respect and Procs are one among many things, and for another thing it's going to be a huge amount/time to address ('Tech Debt' that has built up for years).

We may see if EG7 changes things, or not. They (DPG) aren't changing their position (based on) whether we diagnose every issue for them or not.
  6. Triconix Augur

No, I'm not looking for a solution. I'm looking to see if they can give a general reason why. Tech debt explains why they currently cannot afford to fix the problem, it doesn't state what the problem is.

And unless Sancus has access to DPG's infrastructure, yes, he's an outsider. While he is very knowledgeable, I will not take anything away from his analysis, he's doing nothing more than leveraging a 3rd party tool to review txt logs and comparing them to outside and in raid parses. It still doesn't account for all the consistent lag we've experienced all week on non normal raiding hours. While procs may be a part of the problem or exasperating the problem (example being raids this week), it is not THE problem.
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Well of course that's what I mean when I say "many contributing factors" and "one among many things"

No offense meant, to Maed's thread or you, please carry on.
  8. Leex Pewpewer

I don't understand why time stamps are even being considered right now..

Did anyone care when Stratos was beat? What about Grik?

T3 is the finish line gents, relax a little. We've got 2 months of waiting! Then, we get to wait another year ;).

The real issue, and what should be discussed here is the lag. Instead of bickering about T1, why don't we all go to EQ's Twitter page and make some noise?
  9. jeskola pheerie

Better yet, rally + protest in San Diego. What could go wrong?
  10. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Rally + protest + magical swords, hammers, daggers, etc. in San Diego. What could go wrong? The one cleric who brought a Jungle Raptor is what is could go wrong!
  11. Mazame Augur

You are correct, for the few guilds that were doing the race the opening of the event was delayed. Last year it cause a ton of issues as well. Other guilds that log in at latter times may not have started on the hour as well because of a number of reasons.
    The point is that if your looking at a race or want to call it a race then there will always be issue. RoI came in number 1 Xegony was delay on unlocking yet they still beat all the server that were open before them. So yes the delay was real but to me it was a non issue. the 5-10 min delay would not have change the out come in any dramatic way.

Also there are a number of guilds with posted start times how many guilds start on time every time? The point is the "race" is a tool used in looking at how a guild preforms. The fact that the top 10 were able to down all 3 events in and average of about 1.25 hours says something about those guilds. in the next 10 guilds took 2.5 hour to multi days to complete.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  12. Tacoheals TACOBELL !!!!