Aradune in game & general chat - a conversation.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by ASDAprice, Jan 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASDAprice Lorekeeper

In light of the shocking scenes in our capital, recently i have been upset with some of you and your comments ingame especially in general chat.

I want to express to you all - clearly and directly- the N word is not a word I want in my gaming sphere. It’s ok to be childish in general chat, that’s actually something I appreciate sometimes. But that word comes from a context of a lot of pain and suffering.

When we were kids we could say things like the n word and f word and we all thought it was funny, but were not kids anymore and we have more responsibility for how we act and the attitudes we hold. You know DBG don’t have a big list of rules when it comes to expression, but words like the n word (and the attitude it stems from) are a no go.

I recognize some of you may not believe that everyday racism exists (and that real people suffer from its effects) and maybe you feel inconvenienced by the conversation that surrounds it- but for a moment, please suspend disbelief and know that your fellow gamer does believe. There are intelligent and self-aware people on both sides of this conversation. Please don’t dismiss it when we bring something like this up. Imagine for a moment that current, everyday racism does exist, and that people suffer from it. Would it be worth perpetuating it? I know you all would agree that it wouldn’t. We can have different feelings and beliefs, and that’s ok, but we all need will respect eachother’s wishes when one of us expresses that it is important to them. Does that make sense? This can be an ongoing conversation any of you are interested.

But please respect what I am trying to communicate about boundaries in general chat in game on the subject.
    Darkrok42, Kaenneth, Lejaun and 3 others like this.
  2. ASDAprice Lorekeeper

and i will continue reporting all of you if you use offensive language!
  3. Discord Ocean of Tears Conservationist

4. avehole New Member

try /leave (whatever number channel general is)

no one has to care about your wishes or request.
    Xanadas, Oscig and Meeper like this.
  5. Tweakfour17 Augur

He asked politely for people to not use the N word in general chat and your response is for him to /leave the chat because you don't have to care about his wishes or request...wow..
    Kaenneth, Nennius, Skuz and 3 others like this.
  6. Aegir Augur

The Newest TLP servers are always very popular and attracts a large and varied audience.

As the server moves onto later phases of the game, the general attitude tends to be more mature.

I'm not saying what you're trying to advocate here is a lost cause on Aradune, but I can only tell you it gets better once a new hot TLP is rolling.
    Skuz and Ezra like this.
  7. Ezra Journeyman

I haven't seen the specific issue the OP protests, but the behavior in general chat often sinks to pretty low levels. So much so, I wonder if the issues with General being down aren't DBGs attempt to suppress some of the toxicity. It's unfortunate, as it reflects poorly on the EQ and gaming communities.

That said, I created a character on Mangler and Aegir's assessment seems correct. General chat is almost silent, and the few posts I saw remained civil.
    Xanadas likes this.
  8. Roxas MM Augur

>We can have different feelings and beliefs, and that’s ok, but we all need will respect eachother’s wishes when one of us expresses that it is important to them<.

so you want them to live up to your standards, but not you to them ?
    for them it's how they express themselves normally. that doesn't make them any better or worse then someone else.

you are in a community with people from all over the world, and from all kinds of backgrounds, you will meet people that think completely different then you. try respecting them as well and stay away from them if you dont like them. that's how the world works in the end. this said, i am 50 years old and worked with people from all kinds of social backgrounds, so maybe i am just a bit more thick skinned then most. just try to enjoy yourself and dont take things too seriously. you will feel better.
    Xanadas likes this.
  9. Nolrog Augur

Well at least your user name is relatively accurate.
    Kaenneth, Zynt, Garglak and 1 other person like this.
  10. Nolrog Augur

Using racial slurs is never OK. You cannot justify it by saying, that is how they express themselves normally.

Nope, sorry, not even remotely OK.
    Darkrok42, Kaenneth, minimind and 7 others like this.
  11. Doop New Member

Thanks for saying this. It needs to be reiterated again and again .....for obvious reasons. At the very least, it lets moron announce themselves and the community and GMs can take action :)
    Darkrok42 likes this.
  12. Lejaun Augur

I've put more people on ignore in the life of this TLP than I have in total of all the rest of my time in EQ. I chalk a huge part of that due to this recent election cycle.
    Nolrog, Doop, Skuz and 1 other person like this.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I think you might have made a mistunderstanding.

There absolutely needs to be a "minimum standard" of expression since this game is quite clear about the way players are expected to conduct themselves. How we address our friends is nowhere near how we address each other during public discourse. And General is absolutely a place of public discourse so should obey the rules of such, slurs of any kind should be refrained from.

And especially with certain racially or religiously charged slurs nobody should ever be given leeway to use them on the grounds that it is how they express themselves, bigots can go express themselves someplace else.
    code-zero, minimind, Lejaun and 4 others like this.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

Really? Using racial slurs is acceptable where you live?
  15. Lejaun Augur

I tend to try to stay away from general chat. It's not as bad as it was, now that the election is over, but it has been full of quite a few trolls over the lifespan of this server. People purposely posting inflammatory or racial material just to troll.
  16. ASDAprice Lorekeeper

yes, it has been bad, hopefully now the server is in velious burnout + that cycle is over, it will be a better and more inclusive chat.
    Lejaun likes this.
  17. Ghost Of Fippy Augur

Hmm, have you ever listened to Rap music? Just sayin', if there are going to be double standards, then there are not any standards.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Completely irrelevant to the discussion here & what is or is not accepted in any other medium does not apply within the constraints of this game so your point is entirely bogus.
  19. dreamweaver Community Manager

While I'd like to believe this thread wouldn't quickly spiral out of control I believe the OP made their point.
    Barton, Ezra, Skuz and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.