What is going on?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Maedhros, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Maedhros High King

Today was supposed to be one of the big showcase events in EQ.
    In the second year of this new raid tier release model, today was the Kentucky derby of the Triple Crown. Every effort should be made so that the raids go off as perfectly as possible. After the TOV T3 disaster last year I find myself feeling thankful that at least the events opened as planned, but what took place within each instance was a major let down.

Tantor never really moved at all after we engaged and pulled him a short ways away from his spawn point. Never attempted to chase the person emoted. Actually seemed to not even be attacking the tank very much at all.
    Tantorlings warped around just as badly if not worse than they had in beta.

Klandicar was by far the worst of the 3 events for us today.
    Dragons that do directional Ae's should be able to be turned n stuff.
    The baby dragons that are supposed to happen at like 70% rubber banded back and forth and didn't activate until about 48%. Same thing happened with guardian drake adds. Its actually pretty comical to re-watch the video of them warping until of course bam they finally all reached us at 25%. As for the coldain and kromriff that are supposed to spawn at 50%, they never bothered to show up.

Moving on to Zlandicar, the report from some of the guilds that attempted it earlier than we did was that the Piper never even spawned for them and they were able to just burn Zlandi down and ignore everything, just like it was a big 54 person version of the group mission. The piper actually did spawn for us immediately but that was the only thing that went right really.

The design and mechanics of these events would actually be fun if the lag was remotely reasonable. It was definitely bitter sweet to beat events under these circumstances.
    After hearing from some of the other guilds experiences, I guess I have to feel lucky that we were even able to beat them on the first try without the lag rendering our efforts futile.

Most of the people in the live raiding guilds are happy that new content is coming out year after year and we appreciate the efforts that the developers give to keep the gears turning, especially after the year we had in 2020.
    This lag takes a heavy tool though.
    Something needs to be done to make this game playable and enjoyable again.
    It seems more than reasonable that all live servers could be reset a few days before the tiered release happens if that will free up resources in some way.
    I wish I could believe that it was just something going on with the game servers, but the forum lag is pretty ridiculous too.
    So with all that being said, what is going on and what can be done to fix this before T2 opens next month?

For visual reference:
    https://www.twitch.tv/marquele
    https://www.twitch.tv/zaknaffein_warrior
    https://www.twitch.tv/fintank_findictive
    Triconix, Barton, Axxius and 12 others like this.
  2. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I was never a raider, and am not even playing recently, so perhaps I shouldn't speak.

If lag issues are fixed or not on their end, can the biggest guilds band together and help alleviate the problem on their own?

Operating on the idea that guilds all try the new raids at approximately the same time and drag the server down.

--Can you guys agree on a schedule so not all are trying 'the race' at the same time?--

I'm sure there would be guilds not respecting, or not even involving in a staggered schedule plan. But wouldn't the 'big guys' agreeing to stagger help a little?

Or quite possibly I'm completely wrong there.
  3. jeskola pheerie

The point of the "race" is to be first, so everyone has to start at the same time... It isn't a time trial.

Putting that aside, you are asking 40ish guilds to coordinate raid times across several servers? We are talking about working adults with set schedules for the most part. It's a really poor suggestion. Even if you meant just each server's guilds redo their raiding schedules around each other to accommodate poor game performance, its not something any guild should have to do.
    Barton, Warpeace and MasterMagnus like this.
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Fair enough.

I wasn't trying to start a bash either. But here's where I stand on the company.

I wouldn't count on them changing a single thing vis a vis their hosting and bandwidth capability.

Until we see if 'money from the new owner' goes to upgrading their hosting plan to silver, the switch gets flipped, and suddenly yay! problem solved. I wouldn't count on them solving the problem.

I was proposing that yes, even though I see your point, it's a heavy lift. However many guilds deem themselves worthy to band together for the good of each other on a server.

And as I concede, perhaps it is a poor suggestion.

I was thinking some talking amongst yourselves, joining minds outside the box of the company doing anything, could do some good for the community as a whole.

You certainly shouldn't have to do anything to deal with poor performance from the game.
  5. Elyssanda Bardbrain

MM just think about how hard it is for SOME guilds to even get their people to show up on time for normal raid, and now you want them to co-ordinate that across multiple guilds on multiple servers? I used to be in a guild that had set raid times, and we OFTEN had to sit in the GH waiting up to 90 minutes for everyone to log in so we could do SOMETHING..
  6. Jondalar Augur

It would have been nice if this were so. Some servers didn't open until 5 minutes after some other servers did.
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Yeah I was confused.

I never saw a start time for the race.

Perhaps that gets announced on Discord?

I see the start time could never be agreed upon by the guilds participating in the race, it can only come from the company.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It isn't much of a race when the guilds involved all have mastered the events on beta and it is just a matter of when they are able to start raiding for the day. If it just comes down to who can get online when they open versus who can't is that really a competition?
    jeskola and Beimeith like this.
  9. Pred Journeyman

Isn't that literally what you are supposed to do for races? Spend your off time practicing so when "The Race" comes, you are ready to go for the win? Then be there at the start time, ready to go when the starters pistol goes off?
  10. Tegila Augur

You think the space race bt us and Russia was for the fastest rocket? Or the first successful flight?
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  11. Pred Journeyman

So the US or Russia never used a rocket in a test flight, at all, ever?
  12. Smokezz The Bane Crew

With the timed release, the race... isn't much of a race anymore.
    Fuelforfire and Warpeace like this.
  13. Warpeace Augur

Or maybe DP fix their crap, Don't force everyone else to find some random schedule. Most schedules are know and roughly 7-11 pm east coast time, Yet lag / server stability is still an issue during off hours.
    Barton likes this.
  14. Evye Augur

Turning Dragons seems kind of lame.
    If I was a dragon and I was getting raided I'd be like F this turning crap I'm smarter than these guys.
    I want all my AOE's to hurt most of them, and I'd target which ever area has the most people.

Update reflection: You guys are lucky I'm not your DM
    Fooba and Svann2 like this.
  15. Mazame Augur

I would have to disagree the Race over the year has been about more then just who beat it first. Yes who beat it first was a main factor but that had more to it then just the time stamp. It was about getting people together, managing lock out, beating the events, reducing the wipes, and over all being the most effective in skill and time management.

With the data that on http://www.elitegamerslounge.com/ you can still see who the most effective guilds are. The race is a way for the top guilds to show how effective they are at raiding. This is one tool used in finding new members. This gives incite to would be apps on the skill level of the guild.

I would agree that the time table of the release in the middle of the work week and mid day sucks as not all can be on and so it makes a team not at 100%. But it dose show how willing the members are to put the guild 1st. on those days.

If you want to look at a guild Skill level with out the 1st to log in time factor you can do that as well. Below I took the Ranking list and then added the start time of each guild to get the time it took for them to beat the 3 events. (note start times are based off of release time for the guilds that log in and off guild posted raid start time for guilds that log in latter) Yes I counting when your raids should have started because part of the challenge is do you have people log in on time.

The ranks for the top 2 guilds is the same so matter when they would have started they were able to down the events in the most effective manner. Well done to these guilds.

Shadows of Doom is the only real guild that was effected by logging in sooner rather then later. Their rank of 4 would of been a rank of 9 if all guilds had started at the same time. A few other guilds shifted 1-2 ranks.

For the most part the race is correct. and it show a lot about a guild. That is why it matter and why people care so much about it. It is one of the few ways for the community
    Kurage_of_Luclin, Szilent and Lisard like this.
  16. Mazame Augur

Guild Progression for Tier 1 Time
    Guild Server Defeated Rank Start Time Teir 1 Complete Total time Rank
    Realm of Insanity Xegony 2021-01-07 @ 09:30:10 1 9:00:00 9:30:10 0:30:10 1
    Silent Redemption Cazic 2021-01-07 @ 09:39:22 2 9:00:00 9:39:22 0:39:22 2
    Machin Shin Xegony 2021-01-07 @ 10:18:55 3 9:00:00 10:18:55 1:18:55 5
    Shadows of Doom Antonius 2021-01-07 @ 10:45:54 4 9:00:00 10:45:54 1:45:54 9
    Township Rebellion Luclin 2021-01-07 @ 15:59:10 5 14:30:00 15:59:10 1:29:10 6
    Return of the Exiled Cazic 2021-01-07 @ 16:17:10 6 15:00:00 16:17:10 1:17:10 3
    Reckless Ascension Bristlebane 2021-01-07 @ 17:43:33 7 16:00:00 17:43:33 1:43:33 8
    Crimson Tempest Drinal 2021-01-07 @ 18:12:02 8 16:30:00 18:12:02 1:42:02 7
    Triton Povar 2021-01-07 @ 18:26:03 9 16:30:00 18:26:03 1:56:03 12
    Fu World Order Bristlebane 2021-01-07 @ 18:55:17 10 17:00:00 18:55:17 1:55:17 11
    Undivided Faith Drinal 2021-01-07 @ 19:00:00 11 17:00:00 19:00:00 2:00:00 13
    Inverse Logic Luclin 2021-01-07 @ 19:32:41 12 17:00:00 19:32:41 2:32:41 14
    Scarlet Vengeance Rathe 2021-01-07 @ 19:48:48 13 18:30:00 19:48:48 1:18:48 4
    Iratus Lepus Xegony 2021-01-07 @ 19:53:04 14 18:00:00 19:53:04 1:53:04 10
    Kurage_of_Luclin likes this.
  17. Zvenn Just an old monk

agree to disagree...with as easy as the raids have been the last 2 expansions now the race really isnt a race about skill or reducing wipes. its more about who is willing to waste a PTO day to log on at raid release time vs those who just wait till after work
    Moege, eq4kyle, Jhenna_BB and 3 others like this.
  18. Axxius Augur

The main mechanic in T1 raids is Lag.
    Zvenn, Cailen, Jhenna_BB and 9 others like this.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The race used to include time learning the events which rewarded people who could figure out and beat the events faster. With the current situation there is no difference between a guild that takes a few weeks to learn it on beta and one who learns it in a single night on beta. With the raids mastered on beta all that matters is who can log on their raid force first and if there is any delay in the raids unlocking on your server. From what I understand some servers had a delay in when the raids unlocked.
    Yinla likes this.
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.

In fairness, could their (budget) service provider be strained by COVID 19-related network traffic?