EQ really IS DPG's most profitable game!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Blastoff, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Blastoff Augur

I found this investor presentation on EG7's website really interesting. They ranked DPG's games by EBITDA: EQ1 was 30%, DCUO was 28%, and EQ2 was 13%. It's a really interesting read that breaks down why EG7 is expecting to make money from their latest acquisition. Apparently to them we are all "highly tenured user cohorts" since 67.5% of EQ1's players have been playing for 3 years or more.

https://www.enadglobal7.com/wp-cont...entation-Dec-2020-Acquires-Daybreak-Games.pdf
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  2. TLP Addict Augur

How they see us.

[IMG]
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

You should have put your username on the cow!
    Gyurika Godofwar and Skuz like this.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Surprising that so many of you take this as gospel - the figures a buyer or seller posts on their business's.

It is very easy manipulate any of these figures to make them show what you want. Mob did it for years. Even government loans for business usually have 2 sets of books. And income based on tax returns are just what your tax guy can get creative with and not get caught.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

Oh, please. LOL

Edit: Assuming you believe what you said, what possible motivation could DBG have for making EQ1 look better than it really is? The actual numbers are interesting but aren't as meaningful as the percentages.
    minimind and Skuz like this.
  6. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

If anything saying the game you acquired that was made 21 years ago is outperforming the products you developed recently reflects badly on yourself.
  7. Machen New Member

Especially when the reason eq is outperforming them currently has more to do with the other products' mismanagement and collapse than eq's increased revenue from the TLP's.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Skuz like this.
  8. Fluid Augur

hehe, Star Wars Galaxies doesn't seem to appear on the list.
    Garglak likes this.
  9. Bailen Augur

10. Nennius Curmudgeon

Keep in mind that the figures cited are for accounts, not players. For instance, I have been playing since 2000 and I have 3 accounts.
  11. Machen New Member

I suspect those are the accounts that got banned and restarted.
    Fluid likes this.
  12. Lejaun Augur

I think it shows just how well this game was created that it is still doing as well as it is, considering its age. Even more so when you consider WoW was heavily modeled after EQ concepts early on, which is also doing extremely well for its age.

So many games come and gone since EQ was released. So many of us diehards still here after 21 years.
  13. Portis Augur

I always wonder why they didn't just make an EQ3 which was identical in every nature, just with newer graphics and content. EQ was clearly a winner! Other following MMO's seemed to lack the same feel and value towards equipping up and raiding.. at least, everyone i tried.
  14. Lejaun Augur

I think they realized EQ 2 didn't quite turn out into the monster they thought it would, so they went full speed into EQ Next and it crashed and burned before ever seeing any major development past Landmark.

After the huge success that EQ and WoW had, in which they had very little real competition, there were dozens of MMOs that came and went without much lasting success. EQ Next was one of those, along with things like Vanguard created by our beloved Brad.

Now they are gun shy, as the costs to remake EQ, even if just reskinning it, has likely multiplied so many times it is a huge risk to make.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

IMO a EQ1 reboot isn't by any means a guaranteed winner. Even if they attempted to stay true to EQ1, a ton of stuff would be different by the very nature of a rewrite.
    Bailen likes this.
  16. AtabishiWoW Second best guild leader you'll ever have

From what I remember, EQ2 didn't become a monster because it released right after WoW did, and EQ2 required a far higher end computer. I also vaguely remember that WoW stole several of the ideas EQ2 were implementing during its development through the link they had between the two games developers. I don't know if that was 100% true I just remember that was the word going around at the time.

I actually really enjoyed EQ2. For as long as it's been out even the first expansion still feels/looks like a game that came out recently.
    Bailen likes this.
  17. Gremin Augur

EQ2 sucked at the start, bad. My whole guild back then migrated to it, and quit within a month and went back to EQ.
  18. Garglak New Member

“Fortnite of its generation” – featured in The Simpsons, cover of TV guide
    (in reference to EQ)

Threw up in my mouth a bit when I read this while looking over the presentation.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Better they learn from the mistakes of EQ2 & EQ Next.

If they want a better EQ than EQ they need to make the current EQ better imho, it's time to go back to the roots & realise the oldest tree still stands tall & strong.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  20. TLP Addict Augur

That gif is still one of the funniest things I have seen on this forum and it's still true.