krono to db bucks

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by curious2, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The RMT market was never "allowed", it was an enormous spiky thorn in the backside that SoE/DBG hated, but they searched for a thousand ways to kerb it & couldn't find one that worked, in the end the company decided to try & beat those 3rd party jerks at their own game, and it has been a success, now DPG is getting a slice of the RMT market and putting it to far better use for us as players than Yantis & co ever did.

I would say something like "Don't hate the player hate the game" but that would be far too confusing for most in this context.

So let me say feel free to hate the fact that the RMT market is beyond all reasonable scope to control by any game company and be glad they found a way to get a slice of the pie so that some of that money goes back into the game to benefit its players.

Krono was a necessary evil, of course that means it is still evil, but its far better than the alternatives, but hey, if you can find a way to remove the RMT market please share your genius with the whole gaming world, they would love to hear it & do patent it beforehand, it could potentially make you a very rich genius.
    Tymeless, Lejaun and code-zero like this.
  2. Manafasto Augur

EQ is not the only game that gets spammed by Plat/Gold farmers. A TLP server that can only be subscribed to with use of a credit card/debit card. Use of a krono will not apply 30 days to access of the no krono server. Expansion of the ignore list. Improved HCI/UX for reporting the spammers with an easy to use ignore feature. Those who use resources outside of the game to obtain currency, items, etc. are subjected to at their own risk. Trading krono to another server for items/currency on this "No Krono" server are taking a chance of losing their investment. DPG/EG7 will not refund or assist in the retrieval of goods. Sounds pretty simple to me, even as a coder would take minimal effort to implement. Those who wish to keep business as usual have an array of servers to choose from to appease their playstyle.
  3. Delora Journeyman

All TLPs are DOA without krono/RMT. A server needs activity, how many times are people really going to play the same 2-7 expansions just because?
  4. Manafasto Augur

Without krono/rmt the economy stability would stay ideal for longer periods of time. There is also plenty of other options for them to continue to use krono.
  5. Delora Journeyman

Hard to have economy stability when there's no one on the server. They churn out 1-2 TLPs every year and there's no incentive for people to switch without the draw of krono farming. I'm speaking as someone who's only played on two different TLPs the past 5 years.
  6. code-zero Augur

To the contrary, Krono is extremely stable. No matter what server you are on or even which game you're playing a Krono can be redeemed for 30 days of play time. Early or late makes no difference at all that Krono that's used to buy trade skill material on a fresh server has the very same value as it does on FV that being the 30 days.

Krono stabilizes server economies
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Machen New Member

Not sure that's actually legally an option. Since Krono have actual redeemable value, akin to gift cards according to the accounting discussions, theft of krono is potentially a crime unlike other in game items. Don't think DPG can legally facilitate fraudulent transactions and refuse to do anything when it occurs on their platform, it would open them up to liability. Especially if it were a large enough transaction.
  8. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

Ridiculous. I would have 1 million plat at current Krono prices on Aradune and I won't even pretend to have as many krono as the serious players. At least with Kronos I can play the game for free.

That being said with 2 account limit its kind of hard to get rid of these. An in game option would be awesome.
  9. Brunlin Augur

Yes this would be good for the players and it would take some kronos out of circulation and might help with the RMT of Kronos. No this wouldn't create more botters since the botters are for RMT anyway this would be more of a drive to the non botters in the game. However, as others have said....I dont think they care about the RMT of Kronos since they have not taken these out of circulation or even tried to crack down on RMT. As long as there is a steady stream of sales of Kronos to players from them.....I don't think they care.
  10. code-zero Augur

Essentially using Krono as payment for the Marketplace would result in Krono being considered actual real world money wouldn't it? This could conceivably result in the Krono hoarders facing real world tax liabilities.

Best to keep the conversion going in one direction only
  11. Leifer Augur

RMT activity should be policed much better than it is. Suspected accounts should be tipped off to the IRS. Word is that individuals can gross upwards of $75K by running RMT which violate ToS and if unreported on tax returns face criminal prosecution.

I have no problems at all with the theory of Krono and how it should work, but the black market that exists cannot be good for DPG or its average player.
  12. Tweakfour17 Augur

$75000 in RMT krono sales seems...excessive
    code-zero likes this.
  13. Camniala New Member

The fewer options krono hoarders have to offload them, the better imo.
    Skuz and code-zero like this.
  14. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

As a leader in the Financial Intel community this is monitored way more than you believe. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't under surveillance. Tax evasion is the least of the concerns.
  15. Tweakfour17 Augur

Can you elaborate? Someone is watching RMT in a video game but tax evasion is the least of the concerns? What are they watching it for then?
  16. Xyphen Maximum Augur

Money laundering is a bigger issue than tax evasion. My wife (white collar attorney) has litigated at least two loot-box related cases, one of which involved an Orthodox priest and the other a drug cartel. It's hilariously unimaginable what people are doing to wash money.

Tax evasion is a negligible issue. A overwhelmingly vast majority of RMT's are conducted through parties like PayPal which report transactions to the IRS that meet the taxable threshold. In other words even if someone doesn't report that income, the IRS will already have that info and may/will flag the returns.

The only exception to the above would be if someone literally paid with cash. Even cryptocurrency is subject to the exchanges (e.g, CoinBase) reporting those transactions.
  17. Tweakfour17 Augur

Interesting! Money laundering via loot crates lol jeez
  18. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

What Xyphen said above. Then you have to ask yourself what are the predicate crimes associated with money laundering? From there you can see that yep, tax evasion is the little guy on the totem pole.
  19. Yogurt New Member

What if there was a TLP where Krono could not be used for the subscription? It would be paid sub only for one specific server. If people do not jump onto it they dont but why not experiment.

I would like to see a Monthly Paid Subscription Server Only, Random Loot like FV, Mischief, and TB but items are no drop. What I am going at is how Diablo 3 rains loot onto the players. Raid loots have the probability of dropping from trash mobs in any zone. Just something different.
  20. Nolrog Augur

Congratz, you have just created a massive logistic nightmare, a complete headache for the company and a waste of resources to recode the billing and all access system.

This does nothing to stop anything. It just means more loot gets destroyed and we see more of:

WTS Loot Rights to Blade of Carnage. 3 Krono, 30 minutes on corpse. PST
    Skuz and code-zero like this.