Light Sources...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by kyong, Dec 23, 2020.

1. kyong Augur

Hey All,

Anyone else feel like me and wish there was a way we could use other lightsources like our epic 2.0s?

Go ahead of put your 2.0 on you and watch the colors of the game change completely (at least it does for me). Totally different. Guessing 99% of toons are stuck with a dull ultravision color scheme.

I'm tired of the drab "fishing villiage in winter" look of the ultravision head pieces.

I want the warmth of my other "orange" light sources to be available to me.

Full disclosure, I was very disappointed when Ton Po's pouch throwing stars light source was removed.
  2. Qbert Gallifreyan

You can do the 2.0 ornamentation quest and equip that, it is ever-so-slightly less bright than the actual 2.0 light source (I do admit it is weird they didn't use the same light-level for the ornamentations, but at least they put something on them). Or you could put a large lantern in a top-level inventory slot if it is that important to you.
  3. kyong Augur

For my toon, my epic 2.0 ornamentation (rogue) has no effect on lighting / light source in game. Neither does a large lantern in a top level (replacing bag) slot.

Only changes I see are with original 2.0 equipped or lantern in secondary.

Are there other classes that see a light source change with the ornamentation?

BTW I also removed by head slot while testing.
    Kase likes this.
  4. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

Goblin Gazughi Ring always come off to me as one of the best light sources in the game.
  5. Qbert Gallifreyan

Did you turn off dynamic lighting?
  6. kyong Augur

Yeah, never had dynamic lighting on.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I always though EQ had too many light sources. If you stand anywhere near your group or raid, or just enjoy hanging around in the guild lobby, you get a total "white-out" that completely washes-out every texture nearby, because everyone is wielding light sources. :(
  8. Nniki Augur

9. birdsong_pawn Augur

Interesting. So it turns out
    • Epic 2.0s are orange light, brightness 1 (same as Large Lantern), but
    • Epic 2.0 ornaments are blue light, brightness 2 (same as Greater Lightstone).
    I do miss the lighting from the 2.0 on my necro. It's a bummer that the ornament doesn't have the same effect.
  10. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Some zones are just inherently super bright too. The bazaar for example is so bright I can't even see the find aura half the time. Snow zones are painful too. And I keep my gamma setting very low.
  11. Bigstomp Augur

I'm sorta used to the situation we are in. That said, I have read in other threads that the ultravision effect from our helm (Faerune) is the main culprit.
    Yinla likes this.
  12. Svann2 The Magnificent

Thats odd. Ive always seen the bazaar as very dark.
  13. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I only really have issues when the zone is something with a lot of reflective surfaces, like Crystalline Caverns and the like, Snow zones are close, but rarely blinding. I see the same effect with and without Faerune equipped. It is just that having Faerune, or any Ultravision, items equipped makes the shininess more noticeable.
  14. Nniki Augur

I find it varies depending on which section you go to. Some sections get washed out with advanced lighting enabled.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  15. Fenthen aka Rath

RIP Greater Lightstone.

Man that looks terrible!

I have the problem with placing some items in the guildhall, and having the light wash out an entire room, or having light bleed through walls making everything look terrible.
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Light sources will hopefully get some attention with the engine re-write.
  17. Nniki Augur

Yeah, guild hall also has a few overly bright spots with advanced lighting.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  18. Annastasya Augur

Nniki - i don't know what your settings are at, but those shots of the bazaar are whack. It's practically dungeon-level lighting in the bazaar for me and always has been. if it helps- i have most the bells and whistles turned off, just enough to function on raids.
  19. birdsong_pawn Augur

I just keep advanced lighting off, and everything looks fine. With advanced lighting on, some stuff is way too bright, even with gamma turned down.

Bazaar is one of the darkest zones with advanced lighting off.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I wouldn't mind a slash command to allow me to toggle advanced lighting on/off, or an improvement to the way Faerune works would be nice if that's really at the root of many of the over-bright lighting issues.

I often have to switch between advanced lighting off in bright colour scheme areas & back on in dark murky places, still even with it on & Faerune there are places that are very hard to see in, probably intentionally.

Even better would be a dynamic lighting system that could adjust what is needed to keep things from being too light or too dark, but I doubt anything will ever be perfect on that..