Grey textures when first zoning / viewing

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by DemarMT, Dec 26, 2020.

1. DemarMT New Member

I built a new PC (10th gen intel, Windows 10, Nvidia GTX 1650) and anytime I zone all textures are grey, and then slowly fill in (about 3-5 seconds). I have updated all of my drivers including Nvidia, I have played around with all the graphic settings, and nothing helps.

This never happened with my previous build. Any suggestions?
  2. Qbert Gallifreyan

Have you adjusted the memory mode in options? If not, you can try that.
  3. DemarMT New Member

Yes, I've tried that.
  4. Nennius Curmudgeon

This happens for me in PoK only. My guess is that having to write the textures for the scenery AND all of the characters at the same time overloads something. Perhaps one of the resident IT whizkids will chime in and tell us what we are doing wrong.
  5. Svann2 The Magnificent

That used to happen to me too. I havent seen it in a while and not sure what fixed it, but I have a guess. In whatever virus protection program you use exclude eqgame.exe.
  6. Sarkaukar Augur

Question, is this happening when EQ is no longer the focus program, ie you having alt-tab out, or are you multiboxing characters? You would need to adjust the Max Background FPS to higher than Min CPU in Display / Advanced Options section. Do this when logged into only one toon then zone.

Also power settings could also be a culprit with the above, especially if the issue is with your bots/other toons. When set at Balanced or even Power Saver, CPU cores are put to sleep, speed/frequency is reduced, drives put to sleep until the game hits the necessary thresholds to ramp things up temporarily.

-- Change System's Power Options from its default Balance to High Performance.
    -- Also to ensure the GPU being used is the Nvidia, in that UI, Power Management Mode change it from adaptive to Max Performance. One may create a profile for the GPU setting just for the game(s).

Also, did you copy your previous EQ files/folder over from another system or is this an entirely fresh install? If copied over, delete/rename your eqclient.ini and start fresh.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I do not think this is the connection or files or the computer's fault.

Although I used to send players to the memory adjustments also until I noticed that when it started to happen and I didn't make any adjustments that it eventually goes away.

It does not happen with anti virus permissions or updates or anything of that nature that I can pin down. Not new installs or files copies are causing this.

I have not had the grey/white loading images for almost a year now and here they started today again.

Its not a big deal for me as they will soon evaporate as they do in the past.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I see this if I have been playing a long time, with many zones travelled across, so maybe client uptime plays a role in it happening, or its a slow memory leak issue.