Ultra rare world drop for CoV expansion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by LesserArchi, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Celephane Augur

You inserted a word that I did not type, that is a misquote. If I wanted that word in there I would have put it there
    KrakenReality likes this.
  2. Bobokin Augur

It was parenthetical and needed as clarification. Note the parenthesis. That is how quotes work.

Or do you actually mean that the "rares" are the same? Like, the stuff that drops from all of the named mobs and not the ultrarare chase items. If that is the case, you are incorrect. All of the rare items have been changed.
  3. Bobokin Augur

If the models were not changed, the artists could have done this in a few minutes each. Load into Substance Painter, recolor the albedo layer, and save as new item name.

That doesn't mean they needed to do this, but it wasn't really because they couldn't do this.
  4. Celephane Augur

I mean I don't need your stupid help, the title of this thread already explains what rares I was talking about. If you aren't smart enough to figure that out then stay out of my business.
    KrakenReality likes this.
  5. Bobokin Augur

Actually, I am quite a smart person. Your ad hominem attack, on the other hand, is faulty logic.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think people are missing a key point in this discussion. The argument that there wasn't enough time probably wasn't referring just to how long it would take to add the new chase items but how much time was already allocated to other parts of the expansion. It is unfortunate but there is a small dev team with a limited amount of time and I would guess that new chase items did not make it high enough on the priority list to get completed this expansion. In the end it is all a matter of having enough time to get all the high priority items completed.
  7. Disapointed Lorekeeper

While I would rather them just discontinue this horrible trend overall, it is another way to move Krono's around and that makes $$$.

Since they have settled into the "Muhbis/Nugget" program for raiding, I was not really sure why they just didn't make last years "cake" the rare for the new expansion.

1 - People would stop crying about how rare the item that they wanted actually was.
    2 - Krono's would go WILD!
    3 - It's no longer current, so raiders shouldn't complain too much about casuals with random "ore based" loot.
    4 - Continuing the ore based loot on raids, would always allow the next expansion to have a rare, with minimal effort/adjustment to the expansions loot table.
  8. LesserArchi Elder

That sounds good to me, had the same thought. Just have to make it tradable.
  9. Disapointed Lorekeeper

They don't need to be tradeable, people sell loot rights to tons of NOTRADE things...
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There is a difference when camping a mob that has a chance to drop something versus an ultra rare that can drop off anything. Depending on the time of day it drops on some servers it can be very hard to find a buyer. Not to mention that would cut down on the number of people who buy server transfers to get the ultra rare loot.
  11. JeffHanson Augur

This is a great idea. We should do as much as possible to encourage bot groups.
  12. KrakenReality Augur

EQ is practically built for automated efficiency, without bot groups tradeskill items wouldn’t be available in the quantities needed.
  13. Tappin Augur

They are trying to make sure each expansion has a self contained economy, but they always forget to make sure their shoelaces are tied. They are consistently tripping over them. They absolutely should have made the ToV chase loot equivalent to T1 raid. They are clearly leaving money on the table.
  14. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

EoK and RoS are the only other time which this happened, and the sole reason why that happened was because EoK's Ultra rares were copy/paste of raid drops from TBM (the expansion which immediately proceeded EoK) and with RoS they decided to make the ultra rare drops the 2nd most recent expansion's raid drops. This was tolerable because the TBM raid drops were still better than the RoS group gear. TBL's ultra rare drops were copies of EoK's Raid drops, ToV's ultra rare drops were copies of RoS's Raid drops. Again these were tolerable because they were still better than the group gear. However with CoV they have kept the ultra rare drops at RoS Raid drop level, which are the same or worse than the CoV group gear. This is the reason why people are bringing it up constantly.

The Dev team not having time to do it is the only reason it was not done, though I feel like that more of an excuse than a legitimate reason. The ultra rare items are the most straight forward things which they add. They could have quite easily created the new items almost immediately after they finished with the post launch debugging of ToV. Take the TBL raid items (no changes to stats are made), rename & reskin them, and then move onto the new expansion work. They knew this was going to be a sequel expansion again, so it is not unreasonable for us to expect them to be able to effectively rename and reskin them. They could have even just put Restless in front of the ultra rare names from ToV.
  15. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I don't think the reason was ever to make them 2 expansions behind. The very first time they implemented the ultra rares, they were copies of the current expansion raid items. After that the decision was made to have them be copies of the previous expansion. TBL's Ultra Rares were copies of RoS items, not EoK. ToV's Ultra Rares were copies of TBL raid items, not RoS's. The only time they have been 2 expansion's behind is when they didn't have time to implement them. The current one's dropping are from TBL, 2 expansions behind.

We almost didn't get new one's for ToV, it was stated in Beta for that expansion that they would only be implemented if time permitted. Last year they managed to have the time to do them, so we got new ones. This year they didn't have the time to do them, so we didn't get new ones. Between losing some dev's and 2020 being the year it has been, I'm not too shocked they didn't have the time to make new one's this year. Yes, new ones are nice to have but it's not the end of the world. I'm sure we'll have new ones next year.
  16. Tappin Augur

They are TBL raid items. They are purposely keeping it one expansion behind so that they can create new ones every expansion (self contained economy). The problem is if they don’t have the man power they fail and leave money on the table.
  17. Cannikin Elder

Everything in this entire paragraph is wrong.

There was never such thing as TBM raid equivalent ultra-rares.

EoK ultra-rares were equal to EoK raid. Many raiders complained that the random drops were equal to the best equipment available in the same expansion. 0 expansions behind

RoS dropped the exact same items as EoK (EoK raid equivalent), 1 expansion behind

TBL ultra-rares were RoS T2 raid equivalent (better than phlogiston), 1 expansion behind

ToV ultra-rares are TBL T1 raid equivalent (worse than muhbis), 1 expansion behind

CoV drops the exact same items as ToV (TBL T1 raid equivalent), 2 expansions behind
    Sancus likes this.
  18. Coagagin Guild house cat

No, no I haven't. Ngreth has said for years that he spends much of his time copying and pasting. No error there. None whatsoever. If you still haven't figured this out Ngreth is not a developer but a game designer. Two different positions. As far as speculating on how everything works within EQ? That is something a bit off limits. Nice speculation though even if databases are run on spreadsheets, its not my duty to backseat drive a game. I have real world work to act as the tech thug, which isn't far from the truth.

There are places in the EQ landscape that are clearly archaic, we know that. The original database system is at the end of its useful life cycle. Nothing wrong with that, it is what it is. Your Dragon Hoard has to be a separate database without the ability to natively search from the immediate GUI. Kudos and great idea. Still leaves a little tech debt for the future but as an IT architect in real life, I get it. Again, great idea and gives us some wiggle room in the future.

Frankly, I am impressed the game is still going and have been giving strong praise to such every beta. How bout yourself?

- Coag