Is this perception wrong?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Skuz, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

My kids freaking loved Free Realms, they were pretty bummed out that it was canned, even now they still talk about how fun it was and how they missed it so much, for them that was their first MMO.
    code-zero, MasterMagnus and Nennius like this.
  2. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

From the island of misfit toys, Free Realms items that never got to be.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Happy holidays!
    code-zero likes this.
  3. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Hoping luclin 2.0 is next! :) have a good christmas! Love all the expansions.

Andarriel
  4. kizant Augur

No no no no. Luclin almost ruined EQ. We need Velious version 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 before Luclin.
  5. Geko Elder

If it is not easier, please stop doing it. I have yet to ever hear of a player on my server who wants to revisit the same content over and over and over. If we wanted to revisit the same content over and over we would play on the progression servers. Leave nostalgia to the progression servers please.

Interestingly enough... players are the same way. New content is more fun, and more memorable.

Believe me we get offended too when we have to pay for the same content multiple times. If I never see velious again ... I would not be upset. If I never see Kunark again ... I would not be upset.

It does not sound egotistical at all, and we as players support you in doing so. Absor, please show us what you can create - rather than showing us what the developers of SOE and Verant Interactive created 15 years ago.

Understandable - we need time to vent also after having Velious be a core theme in 4 expansions? maybe 5? Who knows ...

Also let me take the time to vent about my lack of Christmas double exp... brah ...
    Micaiah, Elyssanda and KrakenReality like this.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

/vomit
    Elyssanda likes this.
  7. Dre. Altoholic

Do people actually enjoy this? Or do they simply they suffer it through to get the loot.

How would we know?
    code-zero and Elyssanda like this.
  8. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I actually LOVED Mearatas..
    Micaiah likes this.
  9. Metanis Bad Company

But you're weird!

Just kidding Elyssanda!

Hope you're having a glorious Christmas! :)
    Elyssanda likes this.
  10. Celephane Augur

I disagree, I have enjoyed it. I have zero interest in TLPs. This has been like going home as an adult, I don't want to be a child again.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  11. code-zero Augur

I enjoyed Free Realms myself. I really did like the idea of having a single character per account being able to do multiple jobs at different levels.
    Skuz and MasterMagnus like this.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I thought the entire TBL raid arc was pretty genius. Various raid mechanics introduced in lower tiers were a training ground for the final showdown in Mearatas. Even Mearatas itself built upon raid mechanics introduced in the raid, progressively getting tougher. And the mechanics were pretty solid too. Meatballs dropping in the bowl of a glorious Chef Boyardee entree....err, wait. Whose fantasy is this?

Mearatas was a great example of what the EQ team is capable of when not constrained creatively.

I LOVED ToV and so far am loving CoV. I understand some of you aren't as pleased as I am, and I hope future expansions fill those gaps.
  13. Szilent Augur

oof, not 6. Velious 6 sounds terrible, let's skip that one and go right to 7
    Sancus, kizant and Nennius like this.
  14. Szilent Augur

I can attest, Mearatas is a super fun modern bard event.
    Sancus and Elyssanda like this.
  15. Elyssanda Bardbrain

yes, yes I am Met.. and yet we are still friends, so what does that say about YOU?.. HUGS merry Christmas hon..
  16. ttobey Developer

Dave (Covic) and I work on both games. He models, I rig and animate. It's probably 40% of the year on EQ1 and 60% on EQ2. New monsters are brokered for both games now so we get more use out of them than we used to. EQ1 has a better vert weighting count than EQ2, but EQ2 has a better joint count per character. Poly count is better in EQ2 also. I like the character lighting better in EQ1. EQ1 npcs have 16 animations. EQ2 npcs have anywhere between 50 and 80 animations.
    Celephane, code-zero, Yinla and 6 others like this.
  17. ttobey Developer

Dave built Rallos and I animated him. I also animated the PoP version, so I was trying to keep a little of that version's feel in the new version.
    CrazyLarth, code-zero, Yinla and 5 others like this.
  18. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Thanks for the info! It's always interesting for those peeks behind the scenes.

Interesting how the lower poly models present a little less challenge, until you get to the shoulders and arm-pits I reckon.

And surprising about the lighting in EQ1 a little. From what I know it is known to really 'flare' for white and yellows, and not much normal. But on the other hand, if you know what you're doing (the voodoo of eq1 texturing) you can work with it.

You do great work. And we've always been a bit envious of your relationship with the EQ2 housing community. Which is probably about their passion and engagement as much as you.

Happy holidays to you and yours!
    Skuz and ttobey like this.
  19. Nennius Curmudgeon

Thank you for your work. I have no clue how to do that and thus I find it fascinating. As noted above, behind the scenes glimpses are really great for the large mass of unwashed folks like me.
    Skuz and ttobey like this.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You should see the stream Tom Did with Shawn Lord <- Click.
    It really was fascinating if you have even a remote interest in EQ/EQ2 graphics.

The EQ devs don't get much time to do stuff like that but I would find a behind the scenes dev-diary of what the team at Darkpaw do unmissable viewing. Maybe the EG7 Marketing team could create a youtube series of "behind the scenes" or something like that.