Which TLP would you play on?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Vadimity, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Vadimity New Member

1. Hardcore TLP
    2. Standard TLP

Hardcore TLP
    No AoCs, No Picks
    Exp: 5x slower than Aradune/Rizlona rate
    6 month expansion unlocks
    Luclin-locked
    Truebox

Standard TLP
    Exp: Aradune/Rizlona rate
    2 month unlocks
    1 week AoC lockouts

Notes on Hardcore TLP:
    - Picture this: you're running around in Kunark and see a player with their epic - this is actually an achievement, considering no picks and no AoCs.
    - Without picks, the common camps will be extremely busy, encouraging people to try zones and dungeons that are rarely explored. Also, without picks, a finite number of Short Swords of Ykesha (and every other item) drop each day, making them more rare, giving them value and improving the in-game economy.
    - Due to slower exp speed and overall exp gain due to camp availability, the population will be spread better throughout the levels, instead of most players being max level, max raid geared.
    - 1 character online per person would be ideal, but without a system to control this, it's unfair for the cheaters to play 54+ characters and everyone else to play 1, so I'm proposing regular Truebox.
    - 6 month unlocks since the goal is to embrace the journey and leveling will be a significant aspect of gameplay, instead of being max level 1 or 2 days after launch.
    - Luclin-locked to keep the server healthy longer, with AA and the wide range of content of Luclin. Server locks before PoP, since instanced PoTime would revert the game to AoC style gameplay.
    - Yes, there are similar servers, but with some of the QOL improvements, plus MOTM raid bosses, this will make for a great alternative.
    - Yes, there will be some toxicity without picks or AoCs. This server definitely isn't meant for everyone, and the Standard TLP will likely be the higher population server.
    - The vision is to come up with a unique server idea that is actually executable without development work. As long as AoCs and picks can be turned on/off individually for each server, this should be a doable concept without requiring any additional dev time.

Notes on Standard TLP:
    - A combination of suggestions for a slight modification from the current TLP offering.
    - 2 month unlocks to help the Kunark/Velious lull where guilds tend to fall apart (weeks 6-12 of 3 month TLPs).

Which one would you play on?
  2. Moranis Augur

I'd play Hardcore if it could be policed to prevent cheating via 3rd party software...but that's a pipe dream at this point. Standard TLP doesn't interest me except to maybe pilfer a few dozen kronos.

Personally, I think AOCs ruin the TLP game...they change the game from "fishing" to just "catching".
  3. KrakenReality Augur

Trust me, nobody would think you achieved anything by getting your epic.
    Skuz, jeskola, Xhartor and 1 other person like this.
  4. ikarinokamii Elder

i personally think a hardcore server would be a failure. No AoC or picks, no thanks. luclin locked makes no sense.

however i think there is a place for 6 month unlock on a server that is locked at an appropriate expac, TSS Soc et al
  5. Machen New Member

I think you fundamentally misunderstand the term "hardcore." Hardcore players are all about finding the fastest, easiest most efficient way to do things. Given a choice between slow xp and fast xp, hardcore players always choose fast xp.

Also no idea why you'd tie in Luclin locked to hardcore. Slow xp and luclin end point have nothing to do with one another.
    Skuz and KrakenReality like this.
  6. JohnnyBgood Lorekeeper

Only real way to make a server hardcore is to make the encounters harder which would require each one to be rebalanced which would take forever and never happen.

The other way is to limit the number of players allowed per encounter. Remove any motm mobs from open world and make them DZ only. Then limit the max players per DZ to 54. This would prevent guilds from zerging everything and would make each encounter somewhat challenging again.
  7. ForumBoss Augur

2 months sounds good. It should really be paired with double loot and double flags - but I'm on board with full lockouts. On selo, it was really hit or miss whether the 1 month unlock was sufficient, even with half lockouts, which is hard to keep up with for most.

The aspect of having to beat the same tier of raids multiple times to unlock the next tier should really be done away with on TLP, particularly "fast" ones.
  8. jeskola pheerie

Worst. Server. Ever.

Making people fight and grief over a limited amount of spawns isn't hardcor, its just frustrating. Turning leveling into a massive timesink isn't hardcore, its just boring.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. tzeriel Lorekeeper

I’d like to formally congratulate you for coming up with an idea for a server so bad it makes a PvP TLP look decent.
    Bobbybick and Skuz like this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Why post this like Coirnav never existed?

Lessons have been learned, evidently the OP missed them all.
    KrakenReality likes this.
  11. Relentless Insomnia

I logged in just to say that I completely disagree with this. Fippy was more of a challenge than any of these new TLP servers because of the lack of picks and no instances. The competition for limited resources made it challenging. On current TLPs everyone is handed a full set of BiS gear basically every expansion and everything is 100% accessible to everyone. Its that kind of thinking that destroyed WoW retail for the real gamers.

Imagine Fippy but with MOTM and twice the population.

Y e s p l e a s e
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Just curious but who are these "real gamers" you mention?

Are they:

1. The players who quit the game, regardless of whatever plethora of reasons they give to justify that choice?
    2. The people who still play the game and support it despite whatever flaws they may feel the game has?

I think both the above are "real gamers" but that option 2 are the ones the team should be listening to the most while bearing in mind the things that players who fit option 1 say, which do you think it is?

If it isn't one of the options I outlined above please feel free to elaborate on what your definition would be, I feel this is important in order to put your remark into context.
  13. chunk normous New Member

I dont know about everyone else but AoC and Pick are like the one thing that has brought me back to EQ and got me hooked and of course the people I've met on this server :). I never thought waiting a million years for a spawn was fun ever. Yes I think loot should be special but there are other ways to do this then making people wait for ever... you can lower drop rates or make mobs spawn in more areas or other ideas that I cant think of at the moment.
  14. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

You can make more money selling a guild bank when the server is starved for raid gear I hear.
  15. Baulkin Augur

Limit AoC's to 30 players, remove the OW fast boss spawn rate... start in Kunark and set the expac timer to 3 months after all raid content is cleared. Set higher pick thresholds in dungeons (50ish) to prevent overfarming... Oh and while you're at it.. setup a 12 man AoC instance of CoM/Chardok....and let broken golem spawn in the fear dz.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If you can't make your point without the use of disgusting insults you don't have a point worth making.
  17. Fluid Augur

Actually neither. Heck, I am not against people having fun or DP making a profit. I'd suggest that you wouldn't increase revenues with either of those two options though. User base is just to fractionated.

I'm not against people that don't like what I like. To the contrary, I wouldn't mind if DP opened a complete sell out server where everything was pay to play/win. Uber weapons for sale on Market Place, stacking experience potions where you could buy 20 for $100 and advance 20x as fast. What I am trying to convey is I don't mind DP doing anything that increases their bottom line as long as it doesn't adversely effect me. I don't think your current choices would give a lot of people compelling reasons to play them, but keep trying.
  18. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

None of the above. Delete and try again.

Secret option 3:
    Opens with Classic/RoK/SoV
    Bst/Zerk open immediately
    3 months total for the trilogy
    8 week unlocks for expansion after the initial 3 opening
    1.5 Exp rate 1.5 rares as permanent fixtures due to 8 week unlock
    Normal lockouts

#NeverAgain on Classic through Velious grind 9 month grind. 3 TLPs + Live has been enough. It's just not appealing anymore.
  19. tzeriel Lorekeeper

I’ll never play on a TLP that starts in Classic again unless it’s like 4-6 week unlocks. First 3 are miserable.
  20. Relentless Insomnia

I don't think the people who quit are in the conversation right now.