Free to Play - The Burning Lands

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Free2Play1999, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Free2Play1999 Lorekeeper

Hello,
    I noticed that they didn't unlock the Burning Lands to F2P this time around. Usually, they are 2 expansions behind on what is released to F2P. I was wondering if there had been any word on this or if it had been delayed for some reason.

Thanks
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The "2 expansions behind" rule was broken and didn't get fixed like many things in the game

Considering they only gave us 20% sale before expansion release then it could be a sign there will be no more "Free expansions"

Which I think is a great idea. After all you don't have to pay for a subscription to buy the expansions.

So if you want to play in the newer expansions then they should make us pay. The cheapest one is only $35 ish .

Then you might be seduced into a subscription though.

Talk about leaving money on the table.
  3. Free2Play1999 Lorekeeper

That really would be a shame. For me, it wasn't about visiting the expansion and killing the mobs there, it was more about the AAs. As money becomes available I like to buy a month's subscription for the Auto-Grant AAs. With the 250 AA limit on F2P it made it difficult to do anything. We all like to play our own way. For me, I always liked to play a full group at once and just do my own thing away from everyone else. Paying for 6 expansions, and a few months worth of all access just to level again is a little too pricey for me.
    If this is the new way of doing things, well, that's just the way it will have to go for me I guess. It just seemed like a nice little bonus that came out around the same time as the new expansion came out.
    I still have enough things to keep me busy for about a year or so if this is the end of my progression.

Thanks.
  4. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Everyone has their own decisions to make about how they spend their money.

The auto grant of AAs (which got bumped through Empires of Kunark expansion with the launch of CoV) are in the game now and have nothing to do with which expansions are granted freely. They never have since auto grant became a thing.

As far as TBL unlock ... you might see it later in 2021 or they might decide to wait until a level increase and unlock TBL and ToV at once (they did say previously that they wanted to keep the opened expansions a level bump below current). Or our new EQ owners may change things up.

Even if nothing changed, there's not a game out there that offers what EQ offers ... without having to pay a cent.
    Tatanka likes this.
  5. Flatchy Court Jester

Personally I cannot believe they offer as much as they do for the FTP people. I always thought of it as a free trial offer to get you to subscribe. I mean they are not putting this out there to keep the masses happy its a business. I would not offer anything to levels after 85. That still gives years and years of playing for just that.
  6. Free2Play1999 Lorekeeper

I agree with what people are saying, yes, they give F2P folks a lot of expansions. And, I know these threads tend to head the way of 'what are you complaining about'. I get it. The question is, have they addressed it?
    When you are used to something being in the game every year and then it just stops, people tend to ask why.
    If there was double exp every Labor Day weekend and you were all excited to play and the weekend comes and goes without any double exp, well, that sucks, it's not the end of the world, it just leaves folks wondering why.
    If the free expansions ends at Ring of Scale, I will be fine with that.
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Are you sure you're remembering expac unlocking correctly? Someone stated in a similar thread a couple weeks ago, that the expac unlocks did not happen at the same time as the new expac was released. They thought it happened around March, with the anniversary.

I personally don't remember when it happens, but thought you might want to verify what you're disappointed about, before you get too disappointed ;)
  8. Free2Play1999 Lorekeeper

You might be right.
    I did go back and double check something though. Last year the release date was Dec. 18 for Torment of Velious. That opened up Ring of Scale for F2P and it released the level cap to 110. I checked my log and leveled from 105 to 106 on Dec. 27.
  9. niente Developer

As far as I know, the current F2P rules are that you get up to the previous level cap (i.e. 110). This means the current F2P expansion should be RoS and the next level increase expansion (to 120) would result in unlocking the level 115 cap expansion (ToV).
    See this post.
    GNOME_POWER likes this.
  10. theonepercent Augur

"The idea currently is to let the previous level cap worth of expansions be free to play."
    TBL is part of the previous level cap (it's the same as RoS), so by your own post it should be free?
  11. niente Developer

If I did not explain this clearly - the next time a F2P expansion should be unlocked is when the next level increase expansion launches. The current policy is to unlock up to the previous expansion cap, not up to and including all expansions that occur at that level. This is very generous.
  12. MarttinPH Augur

We have very different definitions of generous. Blizzard has made all expansions free up to (not including) the newest expansion with a paid membership. The old system was very nice. Staying a set number of expansions back for individuals who never quite catch up is amazing. The new current system is designed to release new expansions every couple of years, if I had a guess it would be every 2 - 4 years. This design was made probably to encourage less patient players to buy the newest expansion.
    The idea of including all previous expansions with a new one is not revolutionary, it is now the norm for all MMOs. World of Warcraft, and Elder Scrolls online both do it.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  13. Free2Play1999 Lorekeeper

Thanks Niente, I think I see now. So, if the next expansion raises the level cap to 120 (and of course, that is an if), then The Burning Lands, and Torment of Velious should both be unlocked at that time since the level cap on those only goes up to 115? It's more level based than expansion based.
  14. jeskola pheerie

That is very subjective, and kind of weird to post.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Opinions vary. Carry on.
    Duder and Skuz like this.
  16. Owl56 Elder

Historically, an expansion (almost always) meant we were getting a level bump (and they happened twice a year). I will argue, we pay for an expac each December, but only get about a third of the content each time.
    JeffHanson likes this.
  17. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Pretty disappointing to hear we won't be getting TBL ftp. Guess there is no reason to sub my alt accounts. *shrug*
  18. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I didn't get my free oil change at the dealership. I guess I will just leave my car on the side of the road.

That's what your post sounds like. ;)
    Duder, Sagarmatha and Tatanka like this.
  19. jeskola pheerie

Those alts aren't his primary drive, they are just project toys. Cars like that get left to rust all the time while the primary ride is kept in working condition."Side of the road" is a poor analogy - if anything, your car analogy validated his point.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  20. DruidCT Augur

Ancient history maybe. Its been in its current pattern for quite some time.