Back after a several year break. Looking for advice.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Goranothos, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Goranothos Augur

Title pretty much says it. The last expansion I remember playing in was The Darkened Sea. So, when I left, I was running a 2 box crew of 105 mage/shaman, which I plan to continue doing. Resubbed with all access on both accounts, and went ahead and bought the latest expansion, so I have them all on both accounts.

Immediately upon logging in, both characters dinged 106. Now why would that happen? I know I was 105 on both when I quit (probably one kill away from 106 on both). Also, both characters had hundreds of AAs refunded, and I had to spend them again. I'm guessing there was some sort of revamp/streamlining/combining of AA abilities while I was gone?

So, I think I'll just skip The Broken Mirror and go to Empires of Kunark. Any advice on good exp spots that I can 2 box? Any good heroic missions I should do? I went to the start zone, Lceanium, yesterday and killed some drolvargs and giants. I did fine on single pulls, didn't experiment with double pulls. Do the giants assist the drolvargs or vice/versa if they are standing nearby?

Plan is to get a comfortable way into 106 so I don't de-ding, then catch up on some AAs, maybe do some progression, and pick up some gear upgrades. I imagine I'll have the zones to myself most of the time, since I'm playing in older content.
  2. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Personally I wouldn't skip anything unless you are in a rush to get to 115 and start raiding. Go to TBM and work on the Progression/Heroic AAs while you relearn the game. It doesn't take all that long to do the quests when you out level them by a few levels.

If you don't care about quests/Heroic AAs, then I'd recommend just grinding at one of the Sarnak Forts in Frontier Mountains.
    CatsPaws, Coagagin and Goranothos like this.
  3. Goranothos Augur

Nah, my raiding days are over, at least until I retire, lol. I'm in no hurry to PL up to 115. Thanks for the advice.
  4. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

TBM is a good xpac to get your feet under you. Doing the HA's will net you currency to get a solid base of type 5 augs.
    Goranothos likes this.
  5. Velisaris_MS Augur

First, if your guys are 106, get them in conflagrant gear. That's the tradeskilled stuff from Ring of Scale. You can either buy it from other players or make it yourself if you're a tradeskiller. Gathering materials for that gear is easy now with Overseer. Conflagrant will take you to 110 no problem.

If you haven't finished TDS progression, go ahead and finish it. After that, you're going to want to buy the Type 5 augs from TBM, which will take you to 110 (upgrade along the way if you get better). Either do the missions/tasks in TBM or just buy the currency because it's tradeable. Depending on your server, there's usually a lot for sale in the bazaar. If you do the missions for currency, might as well just do the progression and get the Heroics.

Finally, you're going to want to use Overseer to help catch up. You can use it for tradeskill materials (like I mentioned), gathering collectibles (which you can use for AA or regular xp; collections now give 2% xp per completion, except for RoF for some reason), and just straight up xp (including merc AA xp). With Overseer, you can easily make 7-10% of a level every day simply by logging in twice a day and spending 10 min setting up your Overseer tasks.

And yes, they've mucked around with the AAs in recent years. A lot got refunded for certain classes...a lot of them have been consolidated (the Spires being the most notable).
    Goranothos likes this.
  6. Goranothos Augur

TYVM. I am unfamiliar with Overseer. Is there a link?
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

There are a few walk thrus of Overseer. But when he says to use it to "catch up" then I think what he is referring to is if you do the quests each day and take the experience part then it will give you 1%-3% of a bubble. Or you can select tradeskill items on some quests. And others have collectables.

You can bring it up by EQ Menu > Quests > Overseer option, or by entering the command /overseer

This has a nice link - just for the first post when it came out. There have been a lot of changes to Overseer since but it will get you started.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/overseer-guide.263883/
    KarmaKitty and Goranothos like this.
  8. Coagagin Guild house cat

Overseer is part of the Interface. EQ button -> Quests -> Overseer. Not hard to pick up as DBG has made playing the game about as easy as it can get as it is. At times you may need to find your rewards by following a similar tree: EQ button ->Quests ->Rewards

Free experience and quasi-usefull goodies.

- Coag
    Goranothos likes this.
  9. Tucoh Augur

TBM is kind of annoying because the new two zones have a lot of verticality. Your mage can Call of the Hero your shaman around which makes it nicer, but it's still frustrating.

I'd recommend doing TBM progress up till https://tbm.eqresource.com/intothetempleb.php which iirc gets you the first rank of your Dichotomic / progressive spells https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=9759 (along with the ability to buy the cheap TBM gear which you probably don't need).

The mage's dichotomic spell is situationally useful (It's good for dropping aggro to let your swarm pets tank), but the shaman's dichotomic spell is really nice.
    https://www.raidloot.com/spells?name=lion's roar&effect=&class=Shaman&level=&view=
    https://www.raidloot.com/spells?name=dichotomic companion&effect=&class=Mage&level=&view=

Then doing Frontier Mountains in EoK, which will probably more enjoyable to multibox.
    Goranothos likes this.
  10. Kelset Elder

I'd also double check to make sure you AA autogrant is checked on to get AA's through EOK automatically granted to your level. The box is in the upper right of your AA screen iirc.
    KarmaKitty and Goranothos like this.