Test Update 12/14/20 - Discussion

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by EQ Dev, Dec 14, 2020.

1. EQ Dev Developer

Test is being updated today with our current Live build. There are no new patch notes at this time. Everything should match Live.
    OldCa61 and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  2. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Will this fix the issue with /testcopy?
    Alekyne likes this.
  3. pallmall New Member

No it isnt fixed still gives you time out each time you try.
    Alekyne likes this.
  4. Alekyne Journeyman

Any word on the /testcopy issue? For those who play on TLP or don’t plan to buy the latest expansion just for dragon hoard, this kinda sucks.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Boze like this.
  5. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Getting a bit ridiculous that they won't give us a response.
  6. Thunderbuddy32 New Member

Niente gave a response in discord
    nienteToday at 3:58 PM
    testcopy will need a full server restart to be fixed (not till january most likely), but it works if you have hoard items
    minimind likes this.
  7. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Great so everyone without COV is just out of luck until January. Great customer service there Darkpaw/Daybreak. I really hope the new owners just clean house and bring in people that actually care about their job instead of going through the motions.
  8. Chickenfriedboxer New Member

A bit harsh. However, I do think most players on the test server would not mind if the server came down for a full restart at any time to fix this issue as it is directly affecting the majority of players on the server.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  9. Pip Developer

Rood... For the record, I don't wish the same for you. However if you think you care more than we do, might I suggest heading to our careers page and letting us know what makes you qualified to join our team!
  10. dreamweaver Community Manager

Unfortunately the /testcopy fix requires bringing down all servers. If it were just test I'm fairly certain they would bring it down to push it as they have done that in the past.
    Quatr, Yinla, Thunderbuddy32 and 3 others like this.
  11. minimind The Village Idiot

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?help/terms

12. Genjo Lorekeeper

I hate sounding like a fanboy, but WHAT THE F*** is wrong with you. The test server is FREE, costs nothing and you are saying people should lose their jobs because you cant testcopy till January!! Are your frigging crazy, I am mean damn man. The entitlement coming off this post, makes my skin crawl.

You are just feeding the ridiculousness which is the anonmous nature of trolling. DAMN
    Thunderbuddy32 and minimind like this.
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

Getting angry is normal. Wishing unemployment on others because a game isn't working as you want is pretty silly. Most of your posts are pretty reasonable and I hope you are just having a bad day.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Pip and minimind like this.
  14. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

I probably worded it poorly. But the consistent mistakes and unfortunate slow responses and delayed fixes can be very frustrating. I have been wanting to share items I have on copy at least since CoV launched and will now be unable to do so until January and can't do a Christmas give away because of that.
  15. Chickenfriedboxer New Member

Who is this Pip? I like his/her spunk. I do not follow the forums like some, but I appreciate someone that speaks their mind. EDIT: Deleted the rest being an
    Nennius and klanderso like this.
  16. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Well my comment got their attention and got a response. Sometimes a little reverse psychology can help a situation at least to a certain extent.

Obviously I don't really want anyone to be laid off. In fact I'd prefer the new owners add 5 to 10 new members to the team and that they inject some much needed cash into EverQuest so that the devs have resources at their disposal to keep the game going and hopefully make it even better.

Once the fix is implemented I will post an apology and hope that there are no hard feelings.
  17. Pip Developer

His, but thank you for not assuming. It's funny cause I've been here for years. I'm just too busy to interact with the community like I want to be. Me getting upset on our forums is not helping and it's not like anything said within the last 21 years is going to change these types of interactions anyways. However, I absolutely love being able to have real time conversations with the community, hence the suggestion to use Discord.

We're all here for the same reason, we love EQ. I actually answer DMs when I can, ask anybody who DMs me! Id rather you tell me what's wrong so we can fix it when you find the issues. We NEED that kind of relationship with our community.

I don't think that word ("obviously") means what you think it means.
    Skuz, Nennius, Jennre and 4 others like this.
  18. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

I think you took my comment more like a personal attack than a general statement. I guess I was too blunt but it's not worth holding a grudge over. If you feel the need to delete it then I have no problem with that We can't delete our comments on here or edit them after a certain amount of time.
  19. niente Developer

I apologize for the issues with test copy. It was something flagged shortly after launch that I was tasked with fixing, but later took a lower priority when other server stability issues came up. I wasn't able to fix test copy in time for the emergency patch that occurred early on 12/9.

In the past year, the test copy command has caused a lot of problems specifically related to world crashes on live servers (i.e. large characters using the testcopy command), as well as Test crashes resulting from dupe copied items that we worked late into the night trying to fix. I'm sure Test players can remember these things happening earlier this year. Although I don't play on Test, I empathize with the community when things like this go wrong, and we want your server to be available as much as possible, just like the rest of our servers.

One of the challenging things about working on EQ is that new things must support old things, and as the game gets older (and larger), sometimes existing things break. This particular case was that the Dragon's Hoard wasn't loaded into memory when you had 0 hoard items and performed a testcopy. It would never respond if you had 0 items, and the testcopy would instead time out with no response.

The Test server is primarily intended to help the development team find bugs with the latest build. In the past few months there have not been many posts in the Test bug threads. I know that one week is not very much time, but it is extremely helpful when players log into Test and make sure things in the new patches are working so we have a chance to fix them before the Live patch. I know sometimes it can feel like bug reports get ignored, but I assure you they are helpful to us, and we do want to fix them. EQ has a lot of bugs, and not very many developers. The times that Test server goes down, it is a penance paid by Test players to prevent the same issues from keeping all the Live servers down the following week, and we appreciate your patience when that happens. Sometimes, things break in ways that we can't replicate on Test, and so they don't appear until the Live patch. This is frustrating for everyone, and the development team does care and want to prevent server outages and make sure things stay working and stable as much as possible, even when it seems otherwise.

I guess what I am asking is that you try to be patient, and also to please do your best to test things out for us and report bugs on the Test server here on the forums. If the patch has already gone live, it can go in the regular bug forums, otherwise, please use the bug thread posted with each Test patch.
    Quatr, Yinla, Thunderbuddy32 and 15 others like this.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I gotta say normally you seem like one of the more reasonable forum users, but your post in this thread kinda made you look like a real jerk, and justifying that harsh comment by saying at least you got a response / got their attention only made it worse.

You seem to have at least a modicum of remorse now however and have walked those remarks back, sometimes instead of writing something nasty take a minute to think it over & be calm, you can say you are angry about something without posting borderline nasty remarks, and actually being able to express yourself in such a way while requiring disciple has more actual power than losing your cool & saying something deliberately provocative. I learned this from my Grandmother who if she was REALLY pissed at you would get up close to you & whisper politely but forcefully in your ear, now THAT was truly more powerful than anyone who ever yelled insults at me to this day.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Pip, Fanra and 3 others like this.