Ultra rare world drop for CoV expansion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by LesserArchi, Dec 16, 2020.

1. LesserArchi Elder

Anyone happened to know if the Ultra rare world drop is implemented in CoV expansion?
    Just curious if it's in the game.
  2. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Ice Encrusted items (the same as drop in ToV zones) are dropping in CoV zones. The are the tradable rares based on TBL T1 raid items.

There was nothing new created for CoV (not enough time ... you can read the conversations in the Beta forums).
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Fenthen like this.
  3. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Yes, I got an ice encrusted on luclin server in WW 2 days ago.
  4. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Those who were not in Beta cannot see the Beta forums.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  5. Zynt Augur

I don't understand this. There's no NDA and with EQ2 as long as you're logged in you can see the beta forums.
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

EQ1 Beta forums were open about 4 years ago but later restricted. It may be a issue that no one complained about since most players who care pre-order the expansions outright. Or, equally likely, TLP players would bring up TLP-specific grievances and issues on the Beta forums.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  7. Bigstomp Augur

You won't make a mint on them, as they're last expansions cool stuff and the massive raid loot made them irrelevant in ToV.

Yay one less reason for the automation teams to automate. (Although bans for those people would be amazing)
    Duder likes this.
  8. Bobokin Augur

Not enough time? Cut and paste in database, update stats, change the names, use the same models, maybe recolor the textures, and done. If the models and textures are the same, what is it, an hour?
    Fenthen likes this.
  9. Coughforme New Member

Can tell you haven't ever worked in this industry, an hour? they said the spend about 24 hours alone on just updating the current chest clickies and they are pretty much copy paste and inflated a litle bit
  10. Flatchy Court Jester

I Blame the movie "Grandmas Boy" Ever since the one kid told em to change the coloring of the mobs to save time , everyone thinks they are a Game designer.
  11. Dibab Augur

you do realize that group gear is now much better than this trash?. It was never really worth it
  12. Raptorjesus5 Augur

How is it different than he said? Gear has been a spreadsheet simulator for a long time in this game.
  13. Coagagin Guild house cat

Ngreth has commented on his job to copy and paste for days at a time ad nausea for years. Nothing new here. EQ is still running code from the mid 90s. Much of it is old, archaic and difficult enough to support without the backseat developers chiming in about processes not privy.

This is where techs are probably the worst commenters on the subject. We may know alot about technology but EQ-tech is a dark grey box.

- Coag
    Bobokin likes this.
  14. Tucoh Augur

There is enough budget to manually copy-paste-edit stuff, but not enough budget to automate that process. Repeat for many years and you'll eventually no longer have enough budget to manually copy-paste-edit.
    Kaenneth, KrakenReality and Sancus like this.
  15. Bobokin Augur

I did work with software companies in game development for some sports titles, and we did that often. I also had to clean up stats from crashed games on another title, and that was all in hexadecimal.

If the items are using the same models, textures, and icons, someone is padding his time card. If they have trouble with the database, which could actually be a problem considering the spaghetti code, maybe they should use the tools that the Project 99 developers use.

But I could be wrong. Please enlighten us on the delays it would take to copy, paste, and edit these into the database knowing the numbers of the group and raid items already created for this expac. Maybe I am missing something here, and you have more insight to share.
    Raptorjesus5 and OldCa61 like this.
  16. Bobokin Augur

It is true, but aren't these in a database or spreadsheet format? I assume they still have a database or spreadsheet program that works to read, write, and edit these. I mean, they are not hunting these down inside game code to edit them.

I'm not an IT guy, but I have used and set up spreadsheets and databases since the late 1980s, and they pretty much worked the same back then as they do now. We are not talking punch cards and tape drives.

I don't see what the problem is here.
  17. Bobokin Augur

I have never seen that movie, but changing the color/albedo map of a texture literally takes a few minutes. It takes longer if just some colors of the texture are being changed, but it is simplified using the hue map control in Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, Painter, or other tool being used to create or edit the graphics. This assumes the bump/normal map, roughness, and occlusions stay the same, as does the model.
  18. KrakenReality Augur

You do realize you just called the past and present development teams, including Ngreth incompetent right?
  19. Xyphen Maximum Augur

You are missing many things.

1. The items are not 100% visually the same. The particle effects iterate each tier (green -> light blue -> red, etc). Even if it's just particle recoloring, that is still added to the queue of designer tasks.
    2. I'm assuming at this point they have an item generator which generates stats based off an item level, rather than manually incrementing stats. But if not that would add considerable time. Either way some stat iteration process has to occur.
    3. I'm sure you/whoever is using "copy/paste" as a metaphor, but unless they're using Excel as a DB, there is no pure "copy/paste" operation in relational databases. And to my previous points, literally nothing from the previous weapons are copied. Updated stats + new item ID for new particles.
    4. Finally there's testing/QA. Contrary to what it sometimes seems, even the most minor database/codebase changes have to be live-tested. You (usually) don't just toss crap in, push to prod and hope for the best.

Minor things take longer in agile development to enforce quality/process control. So even changing the color of 1 button can take a few hours.

WRT doing it the P99 way -- that'd be like saying DBG should start using hacksaws instead of hammers. No offense, but I don't think you entirely understand what P99 is/does vs Live EQ. P99 doesn't do active development on the game... they emulate a very, very small snapshot of a hyper-simplified version of EQ from 18 years ago.
  20. Bobokin Augur

How is that different than any other weapon in the expac? My point was that they could have used the exact same models and textures and just changed the stats and name because the expacs are related. The designers create weapons that look the same with different stats often enough. With a little more time, they could have made small changes. Using Substance Painter, graphics changes would have been relatively simple.

Who is talking about changing buttons? No one is talking about UI changes. Do you mean one button on a shirt or something like that?

I understand, but there are nice editing tools for the database that are used for these "other" EQ games. I have to believe that DBG uses similar editors. I used P99 as an example because some words cannot even be stated here, but there is indeed editing going on out there.
    KrakenReality likes this.