Can we please get verification on what will happen to Selo?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Pikollo, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Tweakfour17 Augur

Lots of good points here, but also they've stated in the past they are very reluctant to change a server's "core" rules once its started (see the post about removing Truebox at some expansion as an example). It's entirely possible Selo retains everything good and bad about it and in the racing leaderboards merely has an * beside it. Or Truebox is detrimental enough to even it out. Or the last raiding guild quits and it doesn't really matter if you get 1/2 lock outs for "in era" content, if no one is doing it.
  2. HoodenShuklak Augur

Third option... Selo just rots until they pull a Fippy and merge the data and 0 playerbase to some random server.
  3. Rage Lorekeeper

They really should take this opportunity to add AoCs to live servers and then it won't be an issue. No good reason to not have AoCs on every server.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Fippy wasn't touched for over a year after the last remaining raid guild there stopped actively progressing - but that was very much due to the fact that they did not have a working server merge script, they got it working again recently and they merged several servers, Fippy being one of them.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

My expectation is the option that requires the absolute least amount of effort with the least amount of complaining.

Therefore your Option 2 is in my view easily the most likely.

Option 3 & 4 are potential for sure now that the team has a working server-merge script and both avoid any need for the discussion around whether 1 or 2 will happen and also address some live server complaints around nothing being done about low populations.

My personal preference would be an option not listed:

5. The server is given a 3 month period for players to transfer to a live server of their choice via a free transfer.

This lets players pick which server they would like their characters to go to, has the minimum amount of complaints possible & reduces the demand for a server merge, while players can move to live via a paid service with these servers being mature it would be prohibitively expensive for most players to move all of their accounts, all of their characters & all of their mules that they have come to rely on & have built up on the TLP they currently play on.
    This option also largely avoids needing to have a discussion about "what do we do with ex-TLP that hit live status" as the players moving will likely reduce the active players there to zero, moving the remainder at the end of three months to a low pop server gives any returning players a server to come back to that isn't empty.
    This option also provides for players from Europe or who play on EU hours who might wish to move to AB since there are no European guilds on any other live server these days.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Get your face ready then, because I 100% think that "live status" will mean they turn AoC off on every single TLP that ever reaches Live.

The only way that doesn't happen is if the devs change the stance they have held for 5 years of denying live servers AoC, about-face and put AoC onto live servers - perhaps restricted to all-access players as some form of QoL feature. I really do not think that is going to happen as it is not what the AoC were designed for and I think they will very much be absolute sticklers over that.

I think we will get told that we were lucky to keep the AoC once Gates of Discord unlocked, they might even choose to switch them off at an earlier point to reinforce them never adding them to live servers.
  7. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Maybe the live players wouldn't treat TLP players like leppers if they coupled the merging of TLP servers into live servers with adding AoCs to all servers.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I doubt that would make a lot of difference at all, a handful would begrudgingly say they are happy about it, the rest will simply say the live servers should have had it as soon as it was added to TLP and that it is 5 years late already.
    The aggravations about TLP servers are
    1. they exist at all
    2. the resulting multipage drama threads that flood the forum when TLP are launched and have their inevitable teething troubles
    3. all the changes resulting from TLP players requests for change that altered the live game experience - regardless of whether those were sensible & needed changes or not.
  9. Machen New Member

Oh no doubt, and it would be a horrible decision for live players to have to make. But if you are competing for first in eq to beat an expansion, on an expansion where the lockout timers matter and actually restrict your progression, it would be hard to pass that up even with truebox I'd think.
  10. Machen New Member

Maybe live players should realize that TLP players aren't the ones preventing that from happening, and we'd probably for the most part love the devs to give them to you if it were up to us.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. FranktheBank Augur

Are you Zslick? The guy that tries to pull named past me then tries to dps race? The guy who demands people wait on doing progression for him to finish his lesson?
    Somehow I don't think you are telling the full story here bud. Even pikollo and I buried the hatchet cuz the servers too small to care about stuff that happen months and months ago lol.

I'm curious to what you would add in especially phinny.

I would be shocked if we kept AoCs. I am also shocked that live servers don't have AoCs. It's so silly how difficult getting EP flags done on some live servers. Or things like Shei, Vex Thal clicks, etc.

Personally, I think they should make a server a TLP dumping ground. Either make phinny/selo one or make like Vox the official one. Make sure AoCs are on that server and allow xfers to the server, not off the server (sorta like FV).
  12. FranktheBank Augur

TBF, most TLP players are serial re-rollers and those people should be quarantined because they are insufferable.
  13. MarttinPH Augur

I think it will be 1. I have had a conversation with dreamweaver about Ragefire and removal of the vote system. They told me that "current" developers may not know how to remove the voting system at all. I imagine that this might be the same for other TLP servers and drastic rule changes.

2. I find it a hard sell that they would have benefits removed. It requires a paid subscription to play on the server currently. That paid premium may be enough of an incentive to keep the server as it is currently, for paid members only.

3. The last server merger was a disaster. They don't want to spend resources on events that happen extremely infrequently, regardless of how impactful they would be. No server merge is a possible solution.

4. See 3, and this is worse because they lose benefits also.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Voting system may well be different in terms of ease of switching it on or off, I don't think they no longer know how to remove it, more they may not desire to remove it.

By the time that system was implemented changelogs & properly recorded file notes on systems that were built had reached "software engineering" standards rather than the old "bedroom programmer" standards that used to be a common feature of EQ coding.

AoC was specifically coded for Phinigel that's only 2014/15, they absolutely do know how to switch that off and same goes for the halved lockout timers since they can switch that on or off at will via the events system and have done so for years during regular yearly events.

There is no way that selo keeps permanently halved lockouts once it hits live status because of the huge advantage that would give any guild on the server in competitive Raid event clearances / gearing up between tier unlocks would be twice as effective on Selo as any other live server - that's simply not going to be allowed to happen and it is totally obvious, were the devs to allow that then every guild on every live server that enjoys competing for serverwide 1sts would be justifiably blowing their fuses about it and the fallout in the gaming press would be damaging to the company's reputation..
  15. FranktheBank Augur

1. Hard Doubt. We know from Aradune/Rizlona launch that they are capped on number of servers. No reason to leave a server with our pop up.

2. It wouldn't require a paid sub as a normal live server.

3. Probably the most likely, imo. They seem to have this weird fetish with trying to make Vox happen. This may be how they think its gonna happen.

4. Less likely I think. Because you would have to merge Phinny into Selo due to timeline. Phinny would be omega upset. Also conflicting rulesets.
  16. Silver-Crow Augur

I'm not sure why this is an advantage. It really only affects Players on Selo's, so isn't giving anyone on other servers a leg up. I suspect the only people to moan will be those that use EQ firsts to validate their existence, but i don't think the bulk of players really care what's going on on other servers.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

When it comes to server firsts the raiders absolutely do, I am 100% sure of that.
    Barton likes this.
  18. Duality Augur

F no. I won't even buy/sell to him or zzap/st anymore. He also did some shady trash to me in eok. And actually I think you are the other person I was referring to, if you have a bard named **ffy.
  19. FranktheBank Augur

No, I dont hide behind different names. Same character name.
  20. yodo Augur

Are you sure it's a bard not a monk?