Mercs and CoV

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kimosavi, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Angahran Augur

Considering the outright refusal of DBG/Darkpaw/<insert name of the week here> to really even admit the existance of EQ much less advertise in an attempt to bring in new players for, oh I don't know, the last decade at least, mercs are pretty much a necessity.

Yes, I agree, it is always better to have a live tank, a live healer, live dps. Even a halfway decent player will beat a merc into the ground.

But, sometimes it is just not an option.
    Most of us are getting older, we don't have the long, uninterrupted game play sessions we did when we were younger.

We don't have time to sit around for an hour LFG hoping to fill in our groups.
    Tegila, Skuz, Kaenneth and 1 other person like this.
  2. zarcal Elder

I've said it before but it is worth repeating (maybe) and NOTE: as always this is generalization and not a comment about you (whoever you are) personally.

If you look back through the post of ALOT (NOT EVERYONE) of people who say just get a real tank/cleric you will see "I never group with randoms every-- players suck-- git gud -- some of us are on a higher level" Sometime makes getting a real play difficult.

The state of the game is obvious (from ease/completion)

1) You are in a raid guild
    2) You have a regular group
    3) You play at regular times
    4) Everyone else

3 and 4 need help. If is better mercs or easier/less raid mechanic issues. I am curious about what percentage of the population finishes an expansion in era
    Yinla, Skuz and KrakenReality like this.
  3. Wulfhere Augur

That is a fine argument (and I agree) except in the case of the tank merc.

If a balanced group of 5 real players tries to use a single tank merc in a group mission, they will not be able to keep that tank alive. Even with a raid cleric and shaman and enchanter on heals and debuffs.Those 5 real players are out of luck in that scenario.

They could however win with a mage or beastlord pet tanking (and surviving). The one merc that needs to scale with content is the tank merc and it has been broken since the level 101+ nerfs (that put avoidance > mitigation). Classes that are hurt most by broken tank mercs include: cleric, rogue, wizard, druid, and berserker.
    Jumbur, Yinla and Skuz like this.
  4. Angahran Augur

Well maybe 'they' should do something crazy like advertise and attempt to entice some more 'real players' into the game ?
    Jumbur likes this.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I was putting a group together this week asked the tank who he wanted, responce was "whoever you want but no idiots" Trying to do new things with players that don't listen, read write ups instead of quest steps and take forever to answer when you ask them how many more drops or kills they need. There was one particular quest in TBL that I would only help with if they didnt use a write up, after arguements over "the write up says", "the write up may say that, but what does YOUR quest say" at least mercs don't need quests completing. :)
  6. Yendar Augur

Tank merc was able to tank 4-5 trash mobs in GD when ToV was live. It worked fine on Griklor, fine on GD mission. I never used it on Velks but I’d assume it would be fine there too..

It’s pretty strong IMO.
  7. bortage spammin lifetaps

I don't use tank mercs but i'm surprised to hear they could tank 5 gd trash mobs
  8. Velisaris_MS Augur

I think I would have to personally witness that to believe it.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Did you have a chanter AE stunning mobs?

Tank mercs were pretty useless doing Partisan in EW as were pets. :rolleyes:
  10. Wulfhere Augur

Anything that happens in ToV Great Divide is suspect because that zone is notorious for zone lag and slowing NPC actions to a standstill.
  11. Yendar Augur

Well it could tank 2 KD giants, 2 velks golems, and 2 tofs trash mobs too... & 4-5 in CC if you don’t like GD as the chosen zone (although obv I usually would exp in GD)
  12. Yendar Augur

That’s because Pets & Mercs bugged the partisan out.. not because they couldn’t tank it... & that was only 1 quest.. last of the storm boars. It could tank the other 2 partisans just fine.

No I would never have my chanter AE stunning mobs in a non massive AE group. Enchanters do too much dps for that. Tank Mercs don’t riposte dmg like normal PCs.. so on my chanter I would just mez.

This would be generally when I’m on my monk (boxing a bard and another toon usually).. trying to get multiples so I can burn all 4 or 5.. I don’t want to pull singles and waste my burns.