Should i still use alakazam.com for playing TLP Aradune?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Ogenbor, Dec 10, 2020.

1. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Steamfont is way way better.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

For research you need Saltpeter to make Oil of Vitrol
    Which in turn you use to make Aqua Fortis or Vial of Muriatic

Both Aqua and Muriatic can be vendor purchased so why waste time farming Saltpeter?

Or is it not on vendors yet in TLP?

That info is in the guides
  3. Fluid Augur

[IMG]
    One other pet peeve. Allakhazam loads a ridiculous amount of tracking and ads. This circle is my Malware Bytes report count. In the time it took to get this screen shot and paste it to Paint, the count had gone to over 1,000. Typical web site is maybe 3 tracking cookies. This eventually grows to the point where it literally crashes my computers or cell phones. If I don't get an outright crash, it slows the computer to a crawl. So yes, Allkhazam has the best data, it also has at least 300 times the malware and crashes your device if you stay there more then a minute or two. What makes this peevish to me is the information was community driven and contributed but the commercialization was 100% the gatherers. I don't mind people making a buck for their trouble, but when you are shoveling so much malware you crash your users devices it becomes a bit onerous.
  4. Fluid Augur

I couldn't find the Ak'anon vendor on Rizlona but Aqua Fortis was available in the Druids Guild in Rivervale. Prices was 88.5 pp to my uncharismatic Halfling which IMO is cost prohibitive. Vial of Muriatic was 93 pp so just as bad to a little bit worse.

IDK. Someone pointed out to me the research only spell list is virtually critical for an Enchanter, [mass mezz, damage shield, stuns<?>] and I find the Magician stuff to be darn convenient, so I ran a researcher up on Rizlona since I have both. I'll have to load my Magician and see what level research they are at, but I'm pretty sure it is a comfortable level after farming saltpeter a couple of nights. I'll give Steamfront a try for mining Saltpeter for zhits and giggles so at least I'll know if it is a better hunting ground then Lavastorm. I'm not sure there will be 'a next time' for me. :)

My play style is to my determent. My guild is currently raiding so they dropped Autropos. He had a Staff of Elemental Mastery Water on him that no one could use. They offered it up to anyone and I didn't think it would be right to ask if my non guilded Magician could have it. Just didn't seem right??? I should put the Magician in the guild. I've having a hard enough time finding time to participate in guild events as it is so having two characters splitting that game time seems like it would be going the wrong way. I'll probably put the Magician and Enchanter on layaway until PoP comes out. My Druid isn't even keyed for all the raids yet and is still in their 50s. I suck at EQ by most standard measures.
  5. RizLoaner Elder

If you farm all the saltpeter and sulfurs research is the most profitable tradeskill you can do during classic and kunark. 1-50 will cost you 250 plat at most if you have any sort of decent intel/wis and it's entirely vendor. If you farm the saltpeter and sulfur getting to 102 is also incredibly cheap. You've already made your vials of pure water all you need is a gnomish heat source. should take less than 200 combines to get you to 102 with the high leveling mod granted to research. In all you're spending less than 1000plat to get research to 102.

If you continue on and farm or buy the saltpeter and sulfur you can get to 220+ under 30,000plat. Doing subcombines for the aqua regia and muriatic acid instead of buying them from a vendor when you sell back your parchment solutions you're losing trivial amounts of platinum as you skill.

I had 227 skill in classic on Rizlona and it paid for itself crafting spells for people in classic. As soon as Kunark hit I was selling spells for 1-2 krono each. I made over 40 krono in the first week just selling spells in the tunnel.

Just because it's a time consuming process doesn't mean alamar's guide isn't spot on. I did all the steps and subcombines up to 227 skill where every craftable spell to level 60 will be trivial. I had no issue buying all the saltpeter I could ever need. Now that people don't frequent those zones good luck finding enough to level up to a high skill.
  6. RizLoaner Elder

Aqua Fortis -
    NPCs sell this at 74p3g6s
    NPCs buy this at 3p5g4s1c
    Spell Research Components: Oil of Vitrol, Saltpeter
    Spell Research Components: Crystallized Sulfur, Gnomish Heat Source, Saltpeter, Vial of Pure Water - 8p of materials in classic. Makes Oil of Vitrol. Saltpeter another 3 plat. Total cost to make Aqua Fortis is 11 plat. It saves you 63p PER combine.

Vial of Muriatic Acid -
    NPCs sell this at 78p3g2s9c
    NPCs buy this at 3p7g3s
    Spell Research Components: Fine Salt, Gnomish Heat Source, Oil of Vitrol
    8p for the Oil - 2 plat for the salt and heat source - 10 plat per combine

Oil of Vitrol -
    NPCs sell this at 54p3g6s8c
    NPCs buy this at 2p5g8s9c
    8 plat for Oil of Vitrol

To do one research combine say the Fine Parchment solution
    NPCs sell this at 368p2g6s9c
    NPCs buy this at 111p2g4s4c
    Spell Research Components: Aqua Regia, Fire Emerald, Gnomish Heat Source(4), Gold Bar(2), Vial of Pure Water(2)

Aqua Regia = Spell Research Components: Aqua Fortis, Vial of Muriatic Acid
    Vendor Cost ~152 plat
    Make it on your own ~22 plat

Fire Emerald = 90 plat
    Heat source = 5 plat
    Gold Bar = 22 plat
    Vial of Pure Water = 1 plat

Total cost to do sub-combines - 140 platinum
    Total cost if you buy Aqua Regia - 270 platinum
    Vendors back for 111p or so. If you do the sub-combines you only lose 30 plat per combine, if you buy it off vendor you lose 160 plat per combine. Again, in classic on a TLP server that's not a viable strategy.

With krono around 3-5k in classic you prepared to lose a krono every 25 combines?
  7. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Oil of Vitrol and Aqua Fortis are the fastest way to do 50 to 102 for skill ups. Also you can use them to make your own solutions instead of buying the solutions from vendors and it will save you what amounts to a lot of plat on TLPs.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

My point was not what it costs. But the effectiveness of the guides we have online which is what this post is about. Which you also supported with your posts. So thank you for taking that time to type all that out.
  9. RizLoaner Elder

I followed almar's guides for every skill outside of jewlcraft. they worked very well and all my tradeskills are >250. If you're too lazy to go to eqtraders and check out sub combines that's on the player, not the guide maker.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Why are you arguing this and getting all nasty on my gnome. We are on the same side of the fence.:confused:

I am saying all the guides, eq traders, allahs, pauls and many others are worth using no matter what server you play on.

SMH
  11. RizLoaner Elder

natural forum reaction, my bad lol.
  12. Fluid Augur

I did check Magelo. Drop rate from trash mobs in Lavastorm is 3%-6% for the MOBs I looked up. So basically you are saying is all it takes is ~200 combines which translates into 200/.05 or 4,000 kills. I well take some time to jerk around in Steamfront as was recommended. I think Magelo says rogue clockworks has ~2.5 times the drop rate of [lavaspinners, drakes, imps]. Probably doesn't have the spawn rate though.

I don't use any form of automation at the moment so that does mean I went through a considerable portion of that 4,000 kills/mouse clicks. I will have to check my character as I am definitely below 200. I don't need it now, just for reference sake I may take a look at it to see if there is a better way. I mean it took less then a couple of hundred pp to figure out the jewel craft guide was wasteful. You seem to be arguing two different points at the same time. One is it works so who cares the cost since you can RMT to recover your costs. While I don't recall what it was selling for on Rizlona, Zam has Saltpeter listed at 25pp per. 200 combines buying it at that cost would be 50,000 pp which is kind of the opposite of your first. Maybe you are just saying either/or farm/spend. Your ultimate RMT to recover time/pp is not an option for me. I'll check some of my old characters too with fletching. I'm think the same problems with expensive components is in that Almar's guide too.
  13. RizLoaner Elder

Saltpeter on Rizlona was 2-3 plat each for the entirety of classic. I used 5000 or so to get to 227 skill. I made that platinum back on one spell in Kunark.

Have fun in Steamfont, you'll be wishing you stayed in Lavastorm.

Almar's guides are just that, guides. You don't have to follow them religiously as there are many other ways to get things done. One could always open their tradeskill container and search recipes above their current trivial to see the options or you could blindly follow a guide, both ways work.

Not sure where I ever stated RMT to recover time / pp. Krono = platinum that's inflation proof. If you're holding onto platinum on a TLP and not converting it instantly into Krono then you're a fool that's going to watch your platinum be worth less and less.
  14. Tweakfour17 Augur

A mage with lvl 50 water pet, or even better the epic pet. Park just away from the druid port in in lava, buff pet with haste and pet sow (velocity?) and spam a "/pet attack a_" hotkey, pet should almost 1 shot most of the mobs and will never run out of respawns.
  15. Febb Augur

Why in the world are you not using an ad blocker?

Firefox + uBlock Orgin and you'll never see another ad on Allakhazam again.
    CatsPaws, Nolrog and Fluid like this.
  16. Fluid Augur

Well you are clearly wrong here. I just logged into Rizlona and it turns out you can make it that stretch from 42 to 100 just cleaning hides. Most expensive hide was something like 9 silver. This may be a bug, but there were also Fades Salil's Writ Pages Faded Salil's Writ Page :: Items :: EverQuest :: ZAM (allakhazam.com) I don't think they are supposed to be in the early game, but they are listed on Magelo as ~5% drop rate off Hill Giants and I went to Rathe Mountains and sure enough, there were some on the Gypsy vendors. This are a single combine, no other ingedients, and will take you all the way to 142. IIRC, price was less then a pp/per.

So you see, your condescending "Have fun in Steamfont, you'll be wishing you stayed in Lavastorm." just shows your nature. You were wrong when confronted me about the price of using Almar's guide, 100%. Took me maybe 20 minutes to come up with a low cost solution where you would actually make a ton of pp i.e. killing Hill Giants or an appropriate level magic using MOB. You just plain don't know what you are talking about and you could have found the same information just by opening your research menu in game and a quick trip to Magelo.

One more time, this is EXACTLY the point I made! I said the Almar's guide was not good because it cost 5 times as much as doing it smart. I give up on you because you will just try to drift the conversation to some other non related topic. And no, I will not do the same thing for the other trade skills. All it did here was prove you were off base saying I was wrong and I don't get off that much on being right that I would spend another minute on it. QED
  17. Fluid Augur

Going Boomer Gen on you :) I thought Malware Bytes was an blocker. I'll look into it.
  18. RizLoaner Elder

Considering 100 skill is for classic spells it's not surprising you could find everything on a vendor at this point. The skill is pretty much useless outside of 200+ skill combine so 9 months in I'm not surprised you could vendor to a useless skill level.
  19. Nolrog Augur

I use Adblock Plus browser add in. Works great.
    Rondor, Skuz and Fluid like this.
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

You can fix that for something like $9 a year. Maybe it's $12, I forget. I know some people see it as paying a ransom but I subscribe because I want to support Allas and I get tools like the item search.
    Rondor and Fluid like this.