Black Screen

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Fatality, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Fatality New Member

was wondering if anyone could help:
    just bought a new gaming PC and decided to hop on game. after downloading from website I was able to log in and play. after camping and going back to desktop I was unable to get past the server select screen for several tries, it just keeps going to a black windowed screen that task manager can't even kill. so I reinstall, play the game, and the same thing happens when I try to go back, stuck after server select. just reinstalled again, this time from steam, and played the game. no matter how I run the game or where I download from I can only play once before getting stuck after server select. it's a fast download and all, but i'm getting really sick of reorganizing my UI every time I want to play.

anyone have any advice?
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

3. Fatality New Member

thanks! I did try the dx9c but it won't let me download to windows 10, not the links I went to that is. will try a few other things
  4. Fatality New Member

okay, so I tried rebuilding the .ini files, and it let me into the game the first time but after that I still got stuck after server select. I just don't understand
  5. xxGriff Augur

You can download the last DX9c update direct from MS. The issues usually occur with libraries for EQ (DX9c) with black screen and/or missing DLL errors. DX was built to be backward compatible however, hardware that followed uses for the sake of simplicity, emulation of earlier DX. beginning with DX10, so installing the last complete SDK update for DX9c June 2010 is required. some have luck with the WebInstaller but the complete file is only 95mb. it must be extracted to a directory, and then run DXSETUP.exe (as admin is not a bad idea either). Win 10 will give a "warning" about possible harmful software etc... so you have to select Keep, to download the file.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
    Sarkaukar likes this.
  6. Soulphage New Member

Thanks to the above, after a few hours I got the game working again. I had to use the manual download because my win10 does block the webinstaller. Loaded the old dx9 and rebooted pc works great! I had tried all the other tips I had read online but only needed the dx
  7. Fornhrafn New Member

I've been having this issue since the last few days because of a new W10 update. 99% of the time I would get a black screen after hitting Server Select, after some troubleshooting through the forums I managed to get it working last night. However this morning when I hopped back on I was having the issue once again.
    So even after trying to download the DX9 and going through the .ini files, I was still having issues.
    For those that may still need help I ran across this which is how to Delete and Regenerate files for the game in case any are corrupted.
    Someone else may have mentioned or it might be common knowledge, but nothing worked until I did this.
    Hope this helps and happy hunting.
  8. Cosmos New Member

I am also having this issue on my desktop of the blank screen locking up my computer after server select screen. Been happening since this weekend after a Windows update and a NVIDIA update (i have an RTX2080). I have tried all these different options (deleting things out of EQ folder, trying the DX9 reload, changing resolution from the launch pad)...each seems to work once...then the next time I log in, its the same blank screen locking up the computer.
    I can get to the server select screen no issue, but after I select server it goes blank. While alt tab brings up mini windows, it won't let me swap, so can't get to task manager....if I switch user back to me...I can get back in, but it has EQ as a smaller window blank screen and task manager shows "not responding". Note that when I try to log in again it shows a character on line so the game thinks it has worked. I can successfully log in on my laptop.
    The regenerate files screen has one file I don't see on either of my computers, thus not sure if its needed anymore, but my laptop works...so i assume its no longer required....anyway its the EQGFx_Dx8.dll file

really need a permanent solution to this
    thanks
    Cosmos (Bertox)
  9. Cosmos New Member

one more data point...might be coincidence but this appears to be a "full-screen" mode issue....if I open in "windows" mode, it appears to be working. once logged in I can swap back to full screen with no issue. Thus it seems to be some conflict of the video card (drivers?) and full screen mode and so is freezing when going from server select screen (full screen) to the character select screen (full screen). Will update if I freeze going windows to windows, but its worked 3 times so far...

Cosmos
  10. Hirbow Augur

This issue has nothing to do with drivers.

This is a Full Screen vs Window Screen issue.
    I'm having the same issue, and my only temporary fix is to go to the eqclient ini and manually windowmode=True.

If you enter as windowed , once you LOG IN into your actual character you can go Full mode Alt+enter and you can even log out to character select screen, but you cannot leave your character select screen with full screen, you have to Alt+enter again to go window prior to leaving or you will go black screen again