Another Epic Quest!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Protius, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

Greetings,
    Norrathians I have been wondering about epic weapon quests for a long time... since about 2018. Each time I brought it up in the past the response was largely positive and excitement fills the /general chat channel when reminiscing about the first and second epic quest. The benefits some of them bring to the player's character are always a blast that do not break the game mechanics as devs have always done a great job. The aesthetics are always the bigger attraction as the 2.5 was created to decorate weapons to look like the previous epics via ornaments. I have even asked in the TLP servers with the two characters I have played and had the high enthusiasm from players. The only major negative response is that the devs just don't want to do it.
    I believe the epics can be done as many new weapon graphics and styles have been created since the 2.0 was introduced to the worlds among Norrath. spells that proc from weapons have been labeled with generic names and elemental abilities and some have other other benefits to players that are a bit more creative. Many non player models have been introduced to us to go and fight, or save, or help them. Thousands of other quests have been added to the game for every expansion.
    I think we, the players, are due to be able to quest for third epic weapon.
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

3. Flatchy Court Jester

Do the earring quests or the Artisans prize, should keep you busy for a while. Those took me longer than my epics did anyway.
    Tsavo, code-zero, Axxius and 2 others like this.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

None of the wizzy epics are worth the effort, so not bothered either way.

But as Flatchy said there are quests around which are more epic than epic weapon quests.
  5. Kase Augur

YES continue the epic quest lines, refresh, renew, update Epic 3.0, 3.5 ++ etc! Get on it team!
  6. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Making 16 new individualized quests is probably too much to ask at this point.

I was quite a fan of the class "epic" weapons from Rain of Fear though, I think there were called Dreadstone whatever and there was a group version and a raid version. I think something like that again could be neat.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Fenthen like this.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Ngreth already asked something along the lines of - "would you be willing to forgo an entire expansion in order to have Epic 3.0 on 16 classes?"

Because the amount of work 16 epics would take - in the tradition of the 1.0 & 1.5/2.0 is so much with the current team that they would not have time to create an expansion alongside those as well.

So it's an either/or deal, the team is too small right now to have epics. maybe after EQ doubles its subscriber base it could afford a larger dev team and reach a point it can have epics AND expansions but we are not in that position right now - maybe the new owners choose to invest more in EQ, maybe they don't, but for now Epics are completely off the table.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  8. Evye Augur

Kickstart it like I've suggested before....
    or
    Outsource it to players.
  9. Triconix Augur

The only way you will get "Epic" quests ever again is if it's one long quest that's the same for every class with the final reward being different for each class. However, that breaks the entire lore of Epic quests in the first place so I don't see them doing that.

What we get now are lengthy TS quests such as the earring and earring aug quests. While I'm not a huge fan of TSing, the quests are pretty enjoyable and the reward is unbeatable. Also, TSes are much more tolerable now with auto combine and saved recipes.

My only wish is to make length quests that don't require TSes once in awhile. Some quests should be TS-centric while others more quest-centric. I guess you can argue the latest earring had both, but at the end of the day, it was ultimately a TS quest line.
    Petalonyx likes this.
  10. Tutankamen Augur

I would definitely be willing to forego an expac to have access to a new epic. I was just going to suggest that trade off when I saw a dev had already offered it.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Your suggestions are "quick-fix" ideas that won't actually work in practise.

Outsourcing to players isn't going to happen for a whole bunch of reasons, some of which are to do with IP control, copyright & legal related, one of the devs has covered that before in much greater detail than I just did.

Kickstarters are not really for ongoing projects that are already "going concerns" and plenty viable businesses to begin with.

I think our best chances lie with the new owners deciding to re-invest in EverQuest at least some, and at the least doing some marketing for the game to help increase its user base.
    Only way I can see the dev team being increased to the capacity required to do bigger & better expansions & to being able to create epics once again is if they can get the user/subscriber base increased enough to warrant that. That's the long-road answer but I think its the only viable one.

If there was a Kickstarter of any kind, and it would be mostly to judge interest then I would say they could do a kickstarter for a mobile-phone "New EverQuest Classic for Android/iOS" and that would be a standalone project unconnected to the EverQuest we play but it would be a use of the Franchise IP to generate capital, and maybe for once the capital from another game could be used to invest in EQ rather than what has happened for 20 years where EQ generated the money that was used on all those other games.
  12. seber Augur

no I pass
  13. Cadira Augur

We got an ...."expansion" that makes tbm look good and you think they have time for 3.0s?

Lol.
    Jhenna_BB likes this.
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It even makes LoY look good. :)
    Jhenna_BB and Cadira like this.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

LoY was bigger than TBM in terms of unique zones.

TBM just had 2 actual unique zones, LoY had 5
  16. Evye Augur

There have been expansion kickstarters.
    Your line of thinking is very inside the box nothing will ever change that way.

Xtor Zadamose likes this.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

For which games?

Some open minds should be closed for repairs.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

LoY also added bank slots.
    Skuz likes this.
  19. Triconix Augur

And you would be a very, very small minority of the population with that stance. I don't personally know a single person willing to do the same 9 raids for 2 years just to have an epic weapon again. Most people are bored with doing raids by summer. I can't imagine trying to keep a raid force an additional 18 months.

Also, in order for Epics to be worth that major time investment, they would have to be so ridiculously OP they would trivialize content for the next 2-3 expansions. You wouldn't put an entire year's worth of design around 16 items just to out date them the next expansion release. Let's use my class as an example. My primary wep received a 14% boost in damage and a 21% boost in hp. To make epics worthwhile, they would need to be BIS for no less than 2 expansions and probably equal BIS for a 3rd. That means an epic weapon right now would have to be an 819 damage 21.5k HP primary! You're talking about a straight up 48% boost in damage on a primary weapon! Do you realize the ridiculous power levels that would come from having that right now in COV?

Let's look at 2h for dps classes. The 2hb would be an astonishing 1,1158 damage right now in CoV compared to 782. Can you imagine the parses you can hit with that under full burns? Not only would CoV instantly become a laughing stock to burn through, but that would remain the only content you get for an additional year after receiving this weapon!!!
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Skuz like this.
  20. Evye Augur