Fixed Internally Coldain Ring #10 War bug/exploit

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by yepmetoo, Dec 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

This quest when completed, results in looting the following item:

Shorn Head of Narandi

https://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=1741

You are to take the head to at the end to 5 dorf NPCs, you turn the head in, they give you the head back and also a reward item. Then they give you flavor text and then disappear.

Hand in the Shorn Head of Narandi to each of the dwarves near the Seneschal. This may only be possible if none of the dwarves die (need confirmation either way):

Churn the Axeman pries a crown from the head of Narandi, 'The halls of Thurgadin will echo with praises to you for as long as we grace the face of this land. May this crown serve you well. Honor through battle!'

You receive the Crown of Narandi.

Kargin the Archer picks up a stick and hits the back of the dismembered head with all his might, knocking one of its eyes out of the socket, 'Bastard killed my brother! Hope his ghost felt that one!'

You receive the Eye of Narandi.

Corbin Blackwell unhooks a glowing earring from Narandi's shorn head, 'Hmm, this looks like something special. Take it, ______, you've earned it! Be well.'

You receive an Earring of the Frozen Skull.

Dobbin Crossaxe gives a gentle, warm smile and slight nod of his head in warm welcoming, 'Good day to you, ______, and welcome to the district of Selia. We are children of the light -- beings who valiantly uphold the ways of honor, valor, and merits of goodly faith and virtue. Rather, we are crusaders of these things, collectively comprising the beacon of these traits within the universe in our position in New Tanaan. We are quite pleased to have you approach us with such confidence -- perhaps the inner light has brought you to us, seeking a way to unlock the purity of these merits that you faintly mirror now. If you are seeking council in the ways of enchantments, then I would be more than pleased and honored to aid you where I can, my friend.'

You receive the Faceguard of Bentos the Hero.

{Snip Removed the exploit description. I do have it noted - Ngreth}

This is presumably not intended.

Either the NPCs need to immediately depop upon turn in or make different versions of the head so that when it is turned in it can't be turned back in to the same NPC or something.
    Moege likes this.
  2. Triconix Augur

Agreed. If not fixed, at least state it's a bug.
  3. Soulbanshee Augur

yepmetoo and Ngreth Thergn like this.
  4. Ngreth Thergn Developer

We are aware of this. (Recently) The extra detail is useful, and yes. Please read the post Soulbanshee mentioned.
    Skuz, GNOME_POWER and Triconix like this.
  5. Triconix Augur

Additional information sent via those directions. Thanks, Ngreth.
  6. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

7. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

This is how it's worked since SoV was released originally correct? How can can it be a bug? The devs at the time of the quests creation had the technology for the mobs to despawn see Marl Kastane.
  8. Duder Augur

Because like all people they too make mistakes? And it hasn't been widely reported until now? Read the tag, it says confirmed. You know Narandi wasn't running around with 10 eyes with 9 helmets equipped.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. GNOME_POWER Augur

It becomes a bug from the moment the devs recognizes it as a bug.
  10. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

I'm asking from a non-authoritarian perspective what the logic behind calling something a "bug" when it's working as it was intentionally designed for the past 20 years.

Like this wasn't something broken by a recent patch or anything. Seems like people are abusing the "bug report" forum to spam for nerf requests
  11. GNOME_POWER Augur

They correctly repelled the giant and succeeded in the raid.
    They are entitled to rewards, but a bug in the rewards event made it a bit of a festival.
    I pray that this event will not punish them.

Many causes of being nerfed are from getting carried away and bragging.But it can't be helped. It's human nature.
  12. Duder Augur

Because the original designers didn't foresee people people exploiting the nature of the quest. The lore tag was intended to prevent that. But hey, keep bein shady and trying to argue a moot point.
  13. Ngreth Thergn Developer

"intentionally " is the incorrect word here.

I am not a mind reader, and they are not hear to speak to, but there is no precedence where the designers from the past intentionally designed a quest like this to have behavior to gain as many extra rewards as you can if you do something unexpected and then repeat it very fast to get multiple rewards.

It is much more likely that the designer did NOT even think of someone doing the behavior that is part of this bug.

It's also possible (I do not know yet.) that Prathun introduced this bug when he made changes to this event to prevent disruptive behavior. I can nearly guarantee that if he introduced this bug, he did not think of the behavior. But, it sounds like, from the posts on this forum, people have been secretly using this exploit for years, so this is unlikely.
    Duder, Nniki, Triconix and 4 others like this.
  14. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

How can you know if it's correct or incorrect if you're just assuming the intent?

There are multiple quests including the quest in question that have repeatable rewards for turning in same exact item to the same exact NPC over and over. https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=25017 Is obtainable any time you wish to turn in the 10th ring. Protection of the Dain is dropable on free trade servers so someone on FV could gain as many extra rewards as they want as fast as they want from the very same quest, doing the very same behavior.

15. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

And he's the final say, as I told you.

Trying to mention a scroll you get for presenting a ring doesn't allow you to drop multiple crowns from a single head before you even get the ring. Period.

One head, one crown, one eye, one choker per kill period. That is the obvious intent, nobody sensible will ever conclude otherwise.
    Duder, Triconix and Tweakfour17 like this.
  16. Orphius the Gnome New Member

its not very fast and some rushed exploit tactic... you have 7 minutes to turn in the head... you don't have to drop the item, you could literally hand the rewards out to people since its lore and then turn it in again. Considering the war was taking 72 people over 2 to 3 hours more than 5 rewards isn't unreasonable since 2 hours in Ntov gets you far more and greater rewards. This was petitioned multiple times on Agnarr and it was confirmed it was working as intended. I don't know how its all the sudden recent information, this was posted about and reported on every single TLP previous. I myself reported it during Agnarr and was told it wasnt a bug and working as intended so I dont need to guess at intent I was told it was working as intended.
  17. Triconix Augur

No single event in the history of EQ gave a full raid an in era equivalent raid item. So, no, it isn't reasonable whatsoever. EQ is all about risk vs reward. Doing a single raid event to hand out the entire raid an item does not, historically and presently, match EQ's quite evident risk vs reward metrics.
    Duder likes this.
  18. Triconix Augur

Give up, dude. You ranted that until devs said otherwise, it wasn't a bug. They now have spoken and you continue to whine. Admit you were wrong and you accepted shady behavior and move on. You called me a salty warrior if I recall. It seems the salty one is yourself.

Also, how is a one time click DA item even remotely the same as being given a raid equivalent item that most people would use?
    Duder and Tweakfour17 like this.
  19. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Nah i'm not the type to "give up" when i'm clearly right.

It's the exact precedent that he said didn't exist for a fact existing in the same exact quest.
  20. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Keep on failing.

The 'precedent' set by the ring is that "When you present an amazing ring you EARNED you get a scroll, and you can do this many times."

That does not in any way allow you to "Drop multiple crowns off a single severed head."

They are two completely different things. Getting multiple scrolls because you posses an item of power, is nothing like getting multiple crowns off a single severed head.

This single severed head only has one crown.

In the entire history of EQ this single headed giant only ever wore one crown, and when you presented that head you get one crown.

WHO told you that? And it better be a DEV that still works there or is contactable or SORRY CHARLIE, nobody believes you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.