A Quick Note from Jenn Chan, Head of Studio, Darkpaw Games

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Dec 1, 2020.

1. xaga Elder

lets be real - they bought them for Planetside duh
    ;)
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

And to think I thought it was for the gamer---pizza linkage. Ummm pizza.
  3. Bobokin Augur

True, but DCUO makes twice as much money, and EQ2 make 57% of EQ1 money with 32% of the subscribers. The same can be said for D&D Online. One would believe that EQ1 is doing a bad job selling its wares.
  4. Riou EQResource

DCUO costs like 5x more to develop though too

And true that EQ1 has the lower end of ARPU, but this could be because the marketplace is basically nothing of value in it for EQ1 and their stuff for f2p to buy isn't really viable (like the joke of 100 AA purchase blocks and such when people have 50k AA), they kind of had it in initial overseer but then limited it to not be a thing anymore

EQ2 has some pay to win stuff in theirs and probably better unlocks for f2p to buy instead of subbing

DCUO likely as well with all those f2p people (or the like 3 "Expansions" a year they put out or what not)
  5. Litoeon Lorekeeper

lol...deleted my post, thanks guys. I spat nothing but truth and didn't even name call
  6. Slasher Augur

Ya they do a horrible job on the EQ marketplace not to mention EQ2 actually has up to date heroics which has to lead to more purchases just from that. EQ Heroics are 25 levels behind current content.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Well, us EQ1 players are old farts who don't want any fancy pay2win in our marketplace! ;)

(Heroics could use a bump though...:p )
    Cazmac, Yinla and Qelil like this.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

My way of appreciating the work you do here in one of your swifter "pruning" sessions, in this very thread.
    minimind and dreamweaver like this.
  9. Cazmac Augur

Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I love reading so many expert opinions on multi-million dollar acquisitions and corporate structure. Enlightening, to say the least.
  11. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

I don't know squat about multi-million dollar international acquisitions or corporate structure.

Now that that's out of the way, there are some definite differences in how this was announced, versus how the last sale was announced. EG7 has already said how excited they are about the state of the games, and they are looking forward to future improvements (paraphrased). The now previous owners, really didn't say much, ever, as far as I remember. I've not actively played, even though I paid for a year sub. That's wholly on me, and has nothing to do with anything about EQ1. I for one, am hopeful that this transition brings us all positive changes.
  12. Brildon Augur

Selos and Mangler were also released as a pair of new progression servers, so they have done 2 at once before.

And it is not in Darkpaw's or even Daybreak's control to 'sell the game to the highest bidder'. Daybreak was owned by Columbus Nova, an investment company. They sold Daybreak to EG7. Investment company to investment company. I doubt Jenn would of had much if any influence to that type of decision, or even how much of a notice they had prior to the transaction.
  13. Qelil Augur

I was a little nervous when I first read about this. Thank you very much to those who early on brought links and lots of good info right here. That is much appreciated.

I'm really glad the company is doing so well and the new management is excited about the acquisition and making investments in the games that will hopefully come to fruition. Just learning how well EQ is doing financially after so many years is really great. Honestly, I feel a sense of relief knowing this as I have worried sometimes about what if.

Other than playing my guitar, no entertainment experience however good has ever really matched the magic of EverQuest for me, little else even comes close. The sense of wonder I felt the first day has never really left for me despite various ups and downs over the years.

I want to add while I am at it here, as someone retired from a career in software development, that it troubles me that sometimes people can be really tough on the folks who work so hard on EverQuest. There are real people on the other side of the screen here just like in game. It's easy to armchair quarterback stuff that many don't really have a full understanding of. I am reminded of the very old song, Easy to be Hard. Nobody is perfect, especially those who like to throw stones while forgetting their own humanity. I don't mean to lecture as this largely is preaching to a good choir here but I say it to preface something else I want to say.

This game would not be here today or in the financial shape it is in without the hard work the EverQuest team has put into it year after year. I know the vast majority of you all really appreciate this too and so I just wanted especially at this holiday time of year to say thank you to everyone on the team. Happy Holidays to the EQ team, all of you and I hope the new year brings you and your loved ones many blessings. I want to offer the same wishes to all the players here too. Without all of you there couldn't be any magic in Norrath. You make this amazing world what it is and you always have.
    Jein-ko, Salinae, yepmetoo and 2 others like this.
  14. Natal Augur

The business unit changed ownership a number of times and the name of the unit changed at the same time. That is normal. It is still the same company. The only thing that changed are the owners.

Unless you think it is somehow reasonable to still be called Sony Online Entertainment when it does not belong to Sony any more.
    Nennius likes this.
  15. Sicarious Journeyman

Maybe it’s just me but this feels canned and patronizing with no real content.
  16. code-zero Augur

it's just you
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Ummm it just means its the same people.
    Nennius and dreamweaver like this.
  18. Cranky old fart New Member

At first I was a bit leery of this acquisition. But in spite of the horn-tooting about all the experience represented by 21 year employees, etc., today's abysmal performance in the new expansion roll-out makes me think it has GOT to get better with some new oversight. Unless they're intentionally driving their worth into the gutter for some unknown reason
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  19. Krystallos New Member

Please show some respect and some patience. Historically, many expansions when going live have presented challenges along with associated delays. This is typical and is a reflection of complexity not intention to lower worth. Keep it real man. Eq is rock solid when the new expansion stability issues are dealt with. Don't let your addiction do your speaking for you. :)
    Skuz and Nennius like this.
  20. Tuho Always a Druid at heart

Lol.. I can't believe that people think their lifetime subs won't be honoured.

This acquisition is a good thing.
    Svann2 and CrazyLarth like this.