Best TLP server is... Pop locked, No Box, MEGA Server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MMOer, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Gnothappening Augur

I think I can get behind a server that all it does is cycle from classic to PoP and then resets, but dumps all the players over to Agnarr after say, 3 months of PoP. That part actually isn't a horrible idea, other than the tons of copy transfers and name issues that will give GMs a headache. The rest of the idea was pretty bad though.
  2. Daivid Lorekeeper

TDS is infected all walks of life, people are so fragile today that if anyone would want to invade they simply just need to ride up to our shores with m @ g @ hats.
  3. Xerzist Augur

The best progression server is live. Didn't you catch the memo?

We are still in Velious...
  4. Xerzist Augur

sign me up :D
  5. Daivid Lorekeeper

BristaleBane server?
    Fun server?
    I've been looking for a new start and an escape from FV =)
  6. Xerzist Augur

BB is a good server. Come on over :p
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Yeah a bunch of people have suggested something along that line.

No need for a mega server we already have Agnarr.

A "seasonal" Classic to PoP TLP probably would have a audience for that cycle since every TLP has a portion of players who basically repeat that cycle constantly, even if they aren't totally aware they do so.

I would do as you suggest, just have Agnarr as the server the seasonal server dumps into once it has finished its run, from Agnarr those players can then either choose to stay at pop-locked or transfer off to another TLP which is going to live once it unlocks Omens of War or a week before it opens OoW. You shouldn't want a bunch of full bis time geared players with tons of plat jumping onto a server that just unlocked GoD imho.

As far as the no-box, forget it, far to costly to implement & even more costly to enforce as the hobbyist coders will circumvent that all too easily one way or another, certain people actually enjoy being disruptive & overcoming challenges like that to test their technical abilities & creative thinking, it's an arms-races DarkPaw will always lose due to being outmanned & outgunned.

I would far prefer a seasonal Classic to PoP server dumping to Agnarr than any future stand-alone locked-era server, the seasonal & Agnarr together fit the needs of all those who cycle TLP quitting after PoP (except the Krono lords who will continue to TLP-hop as that's the only profitable way for them).
    Tweakfour17 and code-zero like this.
  8. MMOer Augur

I would not recommend dumping to agnar for a few reason.
    - Players on agnar did not sign up to be a MEGA server.
    - Name file was never set up for this
    - There should be two pop locked. An Agnar and a MEGA.

As far as GM involvement it would be minimal. The xfers are automatic. The only thing they would need to develop is the shared name database between the two servers. Project1999 already figured that out. They could simply do the same or ask them how P1999 devs how they did it. I think its just setting the servers to use the same file for both when it comes to names. Never need to worry about name duplication. There will only ever be two servers alive for the MEGA. The MEGA Dump and the MEGA feeder for that year.

It is really a brilliant idea for the players and the company is it solves a major issue in the TLP life cycle and profitability.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I bet if you asked Agnarr players if they would like to have players join their server from somewhere else that so long as those players are not from a server that went beyond LDoN they'd be more than happy to get them, we absolutely do not need more than one PoP-locked server, it would be a waste of resource. We only need more than one if Agnarr became full.

Everyone thinks that their own ideas are "brilliant", me included, but ultimately you have to temper that with pragmatism.
    So please bear that in mind when the grizzled vets tear your ideas to shreds.
    Sendori and Nolrog like this.
  10. MMOer Augur

lol the grizzled vocal minority are always what hinder good ideas and progress. A good rule of thumb is to listen to them and do the opposite.
  11. Fluid Augur

That would be me! :)

The Aradune ship has sailed and unfortunately has sunk. I can remember those days and Brad running the show. He did several things I really liked such as draconian rules against cheating and was against RMT. DB had one shot at making a server to honor Brads memory and contributions to the genre and they ended up lov'in the pooch. I don't think people would go back for a second round of bad behavior and hardware glitches, except for the RMT rule breakers of course.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

They may express negative opinions sure, most provide a realty check but ultimately the devs make what they feel are good decisions & the business angle of the game is always a factor.
    Everything has an economic impact some things more than others, an idea may be amazing, but it may also just be too damn expensive to do.
  13. pinco Lorekeeper

new tlp allow boxing and 2 months of classic,then all 3 lvl60 expansion 3 months in total,then 3 months the lvl65 ,then 3 months lvl 70,etc rinse and repeat every 3 months a lvl cap.
  14. Thez69 Elder

I liked agnarr because of it's finite lifespan, i dont get the desire to play the same era forever

if you want to play kunark to pop every year, they already do that?

sounds like your only complaint with agnarr is not enough people play on it - did you consider maybe youre the grizzled vocal minority?
  15. Xeris Augur

Couple things:

1) Players on Agnarr didn't want this? Uh, if you told me that every year we'd get an influx of hundreds of players who got dumped to Agnarr after the new TLP hit POP/LDON, I would be thrilled. I'm sure every other player on Agnarr would also enjoy this... not sure where you get the idea that Agnarr players wouldn't want more people on Agnarr. In fact, it's the only criticism any current Agnarr player has about the server (wish there were more people, cuz this server is awesome).

2) Just b/c character names would be an issue isn't a reason to not do this for Agnarr, if something like this ever happened. That's a solvable problem

3) 2 POP locked servers is really dumb. 2 servers that do the exact same thing will end up cannibalizing each other (see: each new Phinny clone TLP basically)

4) "solves a major issue in the TLP life cycle and profitability." You realize that DBG just sold for 300 million dollars, right? Based on reports, EQ itself generated almost 12 million in revenue, the entire DBG company was at ~27 million. EQ has almost 90,000 active accounts and 66,000 subscribed accounts. I'm sure that very few people could have guessed EQ's population and revenue was so healthy. I'm certain that their current formula, based on the above, works VERY WELL.
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Brunlin Augur

Aradune was suppose to be POP locked, but with a overwhelming response of people who said no, Daybreak changed it. So I imagine because of that, Daybreak will probably never do a expansion lock server. Its funny though as most of the people loud about the pop lock will not even be playing on the server by the time it reached the lock.
  17. Machen New Member

People want to know that they could keep playing further if they wanted to. I think with the psychology of Everquest, having a limited shelf life for your characters tends to be self defeating. The entire game is a never ending treadmill of continually improving your characters. Having a final destination point where you can no longer do anythign to further improve changes the dynamic a lot.
    Skuz likes this.
  18. Panikker Elder

Next locked server should stop 85 with SoD! That way you have 65 (aka classic LOL) 85 mid road and over 100 is live ..
    Jimmy2times likes this.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Locked servers are a bad idea, the only reason Agnarr was even asked for is because of a core audience that wanted that, almost all of the people who wanted a locked server play there, I've seen less than 10 forum users ask for any other expansion lock, like 2 or 3 for Omens locked and 2 or 3 for SoD locked.

I think I can just about understand why you would want a PoP locked server, once the game opens Gates of Discord the playstyle noticeably shifts to a faster paced game with more complex raids & that raid complexity goes upwards from that point - while Planes of Power raids are still very Tank & spank & low on any kind of mechanical complexity.

Locking anything after PoP just really doesn't have any sound reasons for doing so besides "I want it" from a very tiny number of players, for them their best option is to go make a P99 style server of their own with their desired setup because frankly they will be playing it alone anyway.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  20. Jimmy2times Elder

They are not garbage. No one wants to hit by a rat on FV for 9274829274593 points of damage. It doesn’t have the same feel that Everquest was founded on.