COV comments...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Metanis Bad Company

In light of what we now know about EQ's contribution to the bottom line at DBG the excuse about "limited resources" needs to be retired. They had/have plenty of resources, they chose not to expend them. I've already bought 6 copies so I'm not going anywhere. But my biggest complaint is the refusal to even acknowledge the many requests for class changes/fixes/revisions dating back at least 2 or 3 expansions. Everything feels old and stale when you've had the exact same skills/AA/spells for years now. There's only so many times you can re-invent yourself as a [ insert class of your choice here ]!
  2. Hekaton Augur

This game is riding on the merits of all the expansions through rain of fear which was the last meaty expansion. Now more and more barebones content comes out and they want us to pony up $139 bucks for which amounts to an old world othmir illusion. I know there was the covid crisis this year and it was hard to get stuff done....but with what they’ve given us the past 5 years would it have made a huge difference content wise?
    Gyurika Godofwar and Fenthen like this.
  3. KrakenReality Augur

Yeah, it’s a bit hard to talk about limited resources when you’re product has netted a billion dollars in lifetime revenue. Even just this year, their operating expenses were around 3m, but they’ve made 11m through Q3 before expansion sales.
  4. Slasher Augur

I had a long post but ill just break it down to EQ has small expansions because they only spend 1/4th of what the game makes on expenses. Every expansion is created by the current dev team so there is no investment there you're paying these people regardless of what you have them do.

We will never see a real expansion unless they're willing to bring in outside people to develop it.
  5. Tucoh Augur

This is another reason I'm skipping it. DPG isn't trying to hold razor thin profit margins, they're getting plenty of milk from the cow they're starving and don't need me to help keep the lights on
    BadPallyGuildLeader and Fenthen like this.
  6. Tucoh Augur

Nah, they could hire a handful of devs n designers and dramatically increase the content production in a year. If they contracted out the work the team who got the job wouldn't be able to navigate the spaghetti
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  7. Slasher Augur

You do what other games do. You bring in additional resources that work only on that expansion content creation when the expansion is out the contract ends and they move on and the dev team maintains the game. It also happens to be a very good way to see other talent in the industry and maybe you see someone you like and bring them in for a full time job. This is how real software development works its why you see such high turnover in the industry however its never been how SOE/Daybreak has done things because they never reinvest what EQ makes into EQ. What EQ makes has always been spent on other projects. Imagine if they took what EQ2 cost to develop and just used it on EQ. You know why WOW hasn't made a WOW 2 ? Why would you want to split your userbase just upgrade the original and its what they continue to do.
  8. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

It does not matter how much EQ contributes to the bottom line, it only matters how many resources it gets. The devs do not control the money and their time is finite. You said it yourself, you have already bought six copies which validates the bean counters position that EQ can continue to show a profit while being strangled. Money talks, bs walks.
  9. Micker Augur

The hard part is that most people have multiple accounts and the expansion cost isn't just $35. That's not going to break the bank, but between the expansion costs, monthly subs etc, it becomes a lot. I think we should get at least a bundle deal for expansions or lower the price.
  10. Stageguy Lorekeeper

Whataburger FTW!! The best fast food burger you can buy.
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

It IS a resource question. Now we know why resources were being held back.

It's pretty clear that costs were being suppressed to allow the acquisition to go through. To keep costs down and cope with human malware the expansion scope was suppressed as well. DPG will pay for this by depressed subscriptions and expansion sales.

One can only hope DPG will scale up for the next expansion...
  12. KrakenReality Augur

No way, Whataburger is so garbage now. The quality has gone downhill.
    MageGuy likes this.
  13. Cicelee Augur

This is so true. I usually buy the middle priced expansion for my main. If I do that, I am looking at around $235 to play for six months, or around $315 for a full year for my main and box. And while it is only just over $25 a month for that when averaged out, if this expansion is only going to last for 2-3 months... that means potentially $25 a month to log in for 1-2 nights a week for 3 hours for raids for nine months. At some point the cost exceeds the entertainment value provided.

And I know I could buy the entry price expansion for the main. And if I get lucky on a rare and can flip it for Kronos that lessens the cost. But there is point to be made about yearly costs for boxers, of which I am guessing most nowadays are...
  14. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I am not interested in flipping kronos. I did a couple of three month buys just to test out some six box stuff, but I am not impressed (second time I have done it). I suck at boxing even with is_boxer. Account linking with this Dragon Hoard idea would make it more worth my while just for convenient sakes though.
  15. Zaray Augur

love me some gut burgers... till about 6 hrs later. :eek:
  16. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

The best part about CoV is that the group grind will be over quick and I can start playing Cyberpunk sooner. Only needing to log in raid nights is winning an expansion.
    Cadira likes this.
  17. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Not counting local "hole in the wall" places and ignoring bad politics:

Burgers: In-N-Out > Five Guys > Wendys > others
    Fries: McDonalds > In-N-Out > others
    Fake Mexican: Del Taco > Taco Bell > others
    Tendies: Chick-fil-A > Canes > McDonalds > KFC > others
  18. Svann2 The Magnificent

5 guys has best fries.
  19. Velisaris_MS Augur

Whataburger, more than any other fast food joint I've seen, depends ENTIRELY on the location.

You find one of the "good" ones, you'll eat there all day, every day.

You happen to order from one of the "not good" ones...you're gonna become well acquainted with the architecture in your bathroom for the rest of the day.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  20. Micker Augur

Please tell me that CoV doesn't have locked progression?