Ornaments: How You Win EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Allaris, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Allaris New Member

I have a TON of ideas for weapon and armor ornaments and I'm sure I'm not the only one. With Player Studio closed down for us (sad face) and us not getting any new ornaments, I was thinking... There are 20 years of beautiful 'ornaments' already in game!

Imagine you have a dope looking sword from lvl 80 and you are in love with the graphic. You get a few lvls in, and its time to upgrade! But now you have to use a weird noodley purple thing with a fish on it. While it may fit the look of some silly Pally (giggle) it doesn't exactly fit the persona of an evil SK or a beguiling rogue, right?

So. What if there was a container item we could buy, from say the Magus in lobby, that we put an existing weapon in and it *poof*, turns that weapon into a weapon ornament! How effing cool would it be if my 115 Ranger could run around with a Timespinner, Blade of the Hunter Ornament!? Or SK with a Soul Leech, Dark Sword of the Blood Ornament!? Obviously make it nodrop/notrade and price it appropriately, but I feel like this would be a welcome addition to the game without having to reboot EQ Player Studio or having to make any additions or real changes to the game.

Thank you for listening to my Ted Talks,
    -Allari
    Tegila, Kamor, Syldi and 2 others like this.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

There have been a lot of threads talking about this exact thing. I suggest looking up the past threads.
    Nilwean, Yinla and Allaris like this.
  3. scaethach Scholar

Could be a cool thing for overseer?
    Allaris likes this.
  4. Syldi New Member

Hypehypehypehype
    Allaris likes this.
  5. Allaris New Member

Yeah I saw a few posts related to ornaments, but none with the idea of a container item or item that turns existing weapons into ornaments. The magus already carries the Ornament Mutation Tool and the Ornamentation Stripping Tool, it would make sense to have an Ornamentation Creating Tool as well.
    Kamor likes this.
  6. gnomeboss Augur

i think ngreth said once that doing it w/ a container as you suggested means creating a new item for every existing item in the game which made it too much of a timesink/hassle/annoyance/chance to anger the gods.

i think that was said. or something close to it. and maybe it wasn't ngreth. i might have conjured that theory from the nether. i just want to cover my tail w/ the qualifier(s) ~

also, i don't find Stills beguiling at all. creepy, sure. beguiling, no.
    Kamor, Yinla and Allaris like this.
  7. Allaris New Member

He's only creepy when trying to buy/sell feet pics in the barter/baz. Otherwise he seems alright.... Seems.....

I'm def not a developer of any kind, but it would make sense that the item would have a code of some sort to define the graphic when worn maybe? So altering the code of the ornamentation doesn't seem too wild to me, but I admittedly am an interested layman. Either way with Player Studio out of the way to fuel my love of ornamentations, I'm hoping something else comes in other than Overseer, or that Overseer starts selling Ornaments other than gnomish stuff and old raidish weapons. Even the Crude Defiant Shortsword looks better than any of the Chelsith Ornaments in my opinion, and I'd rock it on my Warrior starting this second given the opportunity.
    Kamor likes this.
  8. scratch62 New Member

Love this idea. There are some amazing weapon/shield graphics out there. It would get some players out into old zones too gather some of these items just for the sake of using as an ornament. Customization is already popular in game but it’s still so limited though it’s come a long way since the days of armor dye. This would open up so many options for the players. Let’s make this happen or bring back player studio or both!
    Allaris likes this.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

You didn't read them all, then.

This idea has been pitched several times per year for the last 15 years. On a 32-bit client, this will never happen.
  10. Allaris New Member

You're right, I didn't read 15 years of forum posts. Thank you for your contribution to the thread.
  11. Allaris New Member

Agreed! It would absolutely have players back in the old zones, doing old questlines, old crafting, etc. I hadn't thought about it like that but you bring an excellent point! Just another avenue for nostalgia. :)
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Yes. So let's just assume it's never been pitched and create a new thread to rehash something that's been discussed ad nauseum. Great idea!
  13. Cicelee Augur

If you were not so wrapped up in the tank belt nerf, you would have noticed them...

And before you get in a tizzy, I am teasing you. I think enough time has passed that we can all get a chuckle out of it :)
    Allaris likes this.
  14. Allaris New Member

>:*( <--thats you.
    Sounds like you need a /hug, friend. Maybe search the forums for one.

Edit: BTW searching the forums I only found one thread on this, and YOU started it over 2 years ago (before they closed Player Studio). There are a total of zero replies from a dev on there, so my not knowing the answer would be excusable to any reasonable person.
  15. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Ngreth said something like they'd have to make a new item for every single ornament made via this method, and that such a task is daunting and time consuming in such a way that they wouldn't get any work done on an expansion.

So no, people have suggested literally the exact same thing you have before, and it's not feasible.
    Yinla and Allaris like this.
  16. Allaris New Member

Lol, that was something for sure!
  17. Allaris New Member

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. Like I said, I'm in no way a dev so I wasn't sure if it could be a thing or what all would go into implementing something like that. I found a single thread about the item I'm referring to but there are no comments from the devs on it at all. That's a real bummer for sure, hopefully something like Player Studio opens back up for us. :/ Thanks again and happy adventuring!
  18. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Yeah it's been suggested a few times. The main difficulty is, as mentioned, that it would require both a recipe and an item created for every weapon.

The middle ground that was achieved was the thread requesting specific graphics to be converted to ornaments.
    Yinla and Allaris like this.
  19. Allaris New Member

Thanks for your comment! I was unaware that was how the request threads started, that's actually kind of neat and a good middle ground for sure. They haven't done a request since April, so hopefully another comes up soon! Thanks again for the insight and info. Take care :)
    Syylke_EMarr likes this.
  20. Kamor Lorekeeper

I thought you won EQ by getting the Slayer Achievement.
    Allaris likes this.