EG7 enters agreement to acquire Daybreak

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Skuz, Dec 1, 2020.

1. KrakenReality Augur

My apologies for misreading your post.
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

3. Captain Video Augur

What publication? Even if DBG did secretly purchase SSG, which I seriously doubt, it would only get them the LOTRO IP, since the AD&D IP belongs exclusively to WOTC. DDO has long been at risk since WOTC licensed the AD&D 5e IP to Arc for use in Neverwinter and the announced in-development Magic: Legends ARPG. So DDO can't really be a factor in DBG's valuation either way.
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

It explains much.

What sticks out to me is...

The layoffs and defections were part of what was needed to get their costs down for the company to be in a sellable state.

Timing makes me think Holly left knowing that the company would be sold, and she couldn't keep it in their hands. Also explains her talking about how they were increasing revenue so much.

Word is the last sale took 2 years to complete. Not everyone knew, but higher ups knew long before the sale took place.

Guessing most of them knew this sale was happening over the past year to 18 months.

When you look at their actions based on a goal of keeping costs down, to make the sale, it explains using the terrible hosting despite the downtime and lag problems.
    Metanis likes this.
  5. KrakenReality Augur

Captain just read the publication that is linked in the original post.

Also, I’m just going to follow Skuz’s wisdom from his signature.
  6. Captain Video Augur

It was a press release, not a publication. And it only says that the new owners have the use of the IPs (for as long as their license lasts), not that they now own them. Rather big difference.
  7. KrakenReality Augur

8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Skuz's sig is a quote from Captain Video no?
  9. KrakenReality Augur

Yeah, it is but he’s wise enough to add it for the rest of us.
  10. Aegir Augur

When I read it was a swedish company,

I was just relieved it wasn't Paradox, lol.... What a devious greedy lazy game company, that unfortunately has monopolized the grand strategy genre :-(
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

I can't find anything to support those numbers. Most say $60-80m for a AAA title with some games (Call of Duty, for example) going as high as $250 million.
  12. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I believe the numbers came from Steve Danuser (WoW Creative Lead) and Bill Fisher (longtime dev). They are veritable sources with experience in the field.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

14. Feldwebel87 Journeyman

Looks like I picked a heck of a time to come back before they shut it down soon (hopefully not).
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

Out of curiosity, what in the announcement indicates anything is being shut down?
    Skuz, Corwyhn Lionheart and Svann2 like this.
  16. Feldwebel87 Journeyman

Nowhere does it say that, and I hope it's not the case. I am just not looking at it rationally.
  17. Feldwebel87 Journeyman

Honestly, this is what worries me.
    She addressed the expansion launch dates, but neglects the operations as a whole.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

To be fair we will just have to see how things go. What they say and what the plans are behind the scene can be quite different. That being said I don't expect Everquest to go anywhere.
    Nennius likes this.
  19. Feldwebel87 Journeyman

Yeah, it shouldn't go anywhere unless they are out of their minds. But you just never know any more!
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  20. Leerah Augur

Oh I get it! The same way they gutted and killed Sears and KMart! I remember they learned that strip and spit technique from the Finns.