What would be a good name for a new: TLP RED (PVP) ???

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Corydon Coles, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Triconix Augur

Again...provide proof. That's what I asked. You have yet to provide proof and only repeat the same nonsense.

I'm well aware of what they mean and it still remains that 500 players on a FREE server and using that as justification for DPG to make a red server is absolutely laughable. You're assuming that all these supposed 500 players are going to actually pay to play for EQ again. Hint: You're not.

And that will still be more profitable than any red server made because TLP populations are fickle and tend to cannibalize eachother. Live servers remain a consistent, reliable source of most of their income. It doesn't matter if live populations dip, the money and subscriptions are still flowing. There are at least 50k active subscriptions for all live servers and that's a really really low estimate. A red TLP server would be a waste of money and resources as it won't provide nearly close the revenue stream the live, or even cookie cutter TLP, servers provide.
  2. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Proof of what FV having a high server population? are you serious? is this a joke? WTF.

You did math which clearly indicated you don't understand what Concurrent players means. You're saying stuff again that shows you clearly didn't bother to look it up when called out on it. You're making claims that people wont leave 99 to play on paid TLP but official servers always get more active users then private servers. The number a Red TLP would drive would definitely follow the same pattern.

TLPs are what drives the EQ subs nowdays and it's not even really close.

https://mmo-population.com/r/everquest/stats

There's a reason why the day to day players spike massively upwards each time a new TLP drops. There's a reason why after Phinny TLP was created EQ started to grow in subs/active players for the first time in a decade.
    For reference the first spike is when Phinny hit PoP, The second massive spike is when Agnarr dropped, the Third spike is when Coirnav dropped, the 4th is when Selo/Mangler dropped and the 5th spike is when Aradune/Rizlona dropped.
  3. Triconix Augur

Lmao. A few blips on the calendar is all they are good for. The only reliable source of income are the live servers. You literally just assisted me in my point with that website. TLP players are fickle and inconsistent. They don't provide reliability and consistent means of income. You had a spike of population for the release of Aradune/Rizlona and instantly dropped back down after a month. Don't flatter yourself into thinking TLPs are the lifeblood of this game. It couldn't be anywhere further from the truth.

And it also looks like a nice bump of population right as a new expansion comes around. Hmmm I wonder who those people are. Maybe TLPers as well? /s

Enough is enough, dude. No substantial population wants a red TLP server. If there were, you'd have a lot more supporters. You're in an empty room with a megaphone at this point.

P.S. Learn to read. I wanted proof of your hypothesis that FVs population would result in a successful free trade TLP. I have a feeling you cannot. I'd be willing to bet that a free trade TLP would result in a substantial drop in FV population, though. Again, you wouldn't be gaining anything then. You'd just be migrating a population from one server to another.
  4. KrakenReality Augur

Lol, you’re source shows Pantheon Rise of the Fallen with 12,106 players. Come on, man.

Edit: Their Top 20 Busiest MMOs include Star Citizen with over 700,000 players. Wildstar is still listed with over 13k players and it shut down in 2018.

Edit2: You’re a clown, dude. I respect it though.
  5. Triconix Augur

A game not yet released has 12,000 players? That's quite impressive.
  6. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Before Holly left DBG she said over half of the revenue came from TLPs and that their revenue has been increasing since 2016 after hitting a low point in 2015. You know what happened in 2016? Phinny launched.
  7. Triconix Augur

So your evidence now is a quote from Holly, who is no longer with the company, made over 5 years ago about a relatively new concept (TLPs) as Phinny was only the 2nd ever to be released. It also had rules that fixed any major areas of concerns raised by Ragefire (expansion releases based on voting as an example) so it was like a do-over? Any more strings you want to dangle by?

And tell me, how's Phinny's population now? Lower than all other live servers? I wonder why.

PS: Phinny released in 2015.

Edit: And I think I just read the article you're supposedly quoting. She makes no mention how much revenue TLPs make. She states TLPs helped increase population (which is obvious and not disputable), but there is absolutely no mention of TLPs being the main source of income for the game. This is just another one of your "proofs" which are really just figments of your personal reality.
  8. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

No, she's said this multiple times in multiple interviews including after she started working for Blizzard. In 2015 EQ live was basically dead, then Phinny came along and saved the game from being cancelled.
  9. jeskola pheerie

Link source pls, would like to read
  10. MMOer Augur

Dead, cus red is dead. Server that is. 2% want this.
  11. Machen New Member

December 2015. Not enough to bring in a bunch of revenue for 2015. I can buy that Phinigel created a huge surge in revenue for 2016.

The EG7 financials have been interesting here too. Looks like EQ is currently DBG's most profitable game. I very much doubt that was the case in 2015, or even close.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Miragul was an experiment, the Dev team didn't actually know if it was going to be good or bad, they wanted to see if there was an audience for a server with a Heroic+ character level to start after several TLP.

The consensus among most players is that the reason Miragul did not do as well as it could have done is almost entirely due to it having Truebox enabled at such a late era, many said that Trubox would hamstring the server's success chances & they were largely proven right I think. A Heroic server without Truebox would have received many more players than Miragul did - as many as a classic-start server? no, but enough for 3-5 guilds rather than just 1. While there are certainly some players who want Truebox to be permanent on a TLP a majority I feel would rather TLP turn off Truebox at level 70 or during Depths of Darkhollow - at the very latest it should be removed when Mercenaries are made available during Seeds of Destruction, and plenty of players would like at least some low level mercenaries available earlier than SoD.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I would argue that comparing a FREE PvP server to live servers or TLP servers is a faulty concept from the get-go.

1. The players on a 3rd party Free server do not in any way indicate numbers of players interested in playing on a PvP TLP for several reasons. e.g. they may be completely against/hate SoE, Smedley, DayBreak, DarkPaw, paying, giving money to "the people who ruined the game", or some other concocted frivolous or conspiracy-thinking related excuse for not being a subscriber or even F2P player on the live game servers.

2. There have been prior TLP PvP advocates who tried to whip up enthusiasm, most efforts were empty words, the only effort that had actual players show up to "show numbers" was the "PvP bois" campaign that ultimately resulted in less than 100 characters showing up on Zek, and a bunch of those were clearly just boxed - summary: almost a complete failure & demonstrated that DarkPaw were completely vindicated in believing there was simply too little appetite for an EQ PvP TLP to make it economically viable for them.

Additionally it is also a faulty concept to try comparing TLP servers to live servers.

1. Populations on TLP servers are transient by nature, they are comprised of players who already quit before and came back for a plethora of reasons, some of which are:
    a nostalgia trip, to see what they missed, to make krono for their live server, to play with friends who came back, to just play thorugh the expansions they did before they quit live the first time, to once again experience "Pugging" before it again becomes all but non-existent in later expansions, and probably many other reasons. By contrast Live servers are populated by stable & loyal long term players who have been around for years, a majority have been there before TLP existed.

2. TLP players often "server-hop" from one TLP to the next, again for a whole range of reasons.

While it would be true to say that "some" TLP servers die off, each server should be taken on its own merits since each has slightly different rules, and attracted a slightly different population, Coirnav for example had a very slow EXP start & was highly unattractive, it was largely viewed by players as a worse successor to Phinigel and had a poor start & it declined more rapidly than most TLP. Selo was a very fast-paced unlock and while it started "okay" it lost players rapidly owing to the somewhat "too fast" unlock, former Selo players I spoke to mostly felt 8 weeks was as fast as unlocks should ever get and even that was going to take a high level of commitment to keep current. I covered Miragul in my prior post. Mangler has largely been successful & didn't make the mistake Coirnav made on having awful EXP.

Currently Phinigel still has 3 guilds, 2 USA & 1 EU, it arguably has more active raiders than a few live servers do though it has far fewer casuals.

Overall TLP servers & "what actually works" is an ongoing in-development set of criteria which is being tested out with each server that releases, so far they have managed to try several iterations & likely have a pretty good handle on what will attract a large number of players TO a TLP - what has not been done is anything that is testing what helps players to STAY on a TLP - that is something the devs may look at in the future, or they may opt to stick to appealing to the server-hopping TLP demographics for the next few years.
    Nolrog and Tweakfour17 like this.
  14. Corydon Coles Elder

Sounds like the name of my new guild whenever... the TLP PVP server launches
    Corydon Coles <14 People>
  15. Corydon Coles Elder

THIS

TEAM-S
    I played the Teams PVP over on that server - That shall not be named... It was fun.
    I'd break it up:
    North Side POK, GOOD - Blue
    East Side POK, Middle - Yellow
    South Side POK, EVIL - Red

Class Balance
    People talk about class balance being - WACK!
    There used to be class balance ... In such a way that I use in my D&D games
    A) Punishing Racial/Reward EXP - LOSS for large races as their way better for combat. The GAIN for HLFs was not near enough
    B) Hybrid Penalties
    C) Caster Meditation - Blindness of spellbook
    D) MAG pet - POOF at zone lines
    * Just a few.. There were lots of things. Even the gear had balance, such as HUM trade skilling armor/weapons much easier/cheaper to begin with
  16. Corydon Coles Elder

All good points
  17. Corydon Coles Elder

MOST people get it.. EQ PVP is dead because ---------> We can't find anyone to PVP

I'm not sure about OPEN PVP as evidence of OPEN PVP (no 4 lvls) - I submit WOW PVP. 1 shot wonders.
  18. Corydon Coles Elder

SOUND-S Like PVP was popular when there was a new lauch

Tallon which was so popular on release that they needed to create Vallon as an overflow serve

I'm not sure about the level restriction. I've gotten PVPed by max levels over at WOW. 1 shot and u dead = NO fun
  19. Corydon Coles Elder

There have been lots of PVP servers on EQEMU. The Teams PVP was the most fun.

There have already been Red Guilds on TLP servers.
    There have already been private EQ PvP servers that had a higher population then Selo and Rizlona have.
  20. Corydon Coles Elder

What has... Kept me from 2 subs instead of the 1 sub on TLPs is that I dont run 2 computers. In the past I've ALT T back and forth old school on 2 clients. This set would have to be another part of a TLP PVP build.
    * 2 box would have to be the limit to encourage grouping.