Best TLP server is... Pop locked, No Box, MEGA Server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MMOer, Dec 1, 2020.

1. MMOer Augur

I've brought this idea up previously as a scarce hope for Aradune as it would have keep his name alive for ever in his Era's. So hear me out.

Pop locked like Agnar. This is the best classic spot to stop.

NO box. There are ways around "truebox" rules this and there will be no need for boxes.

MEGA server. Make Everquest ! The MEGA server would be the first launched of a series of TLP's. The rules would be No box, Poplock.

It would start in Kunark or Luclin and the starting expansion would determine the unlock time. Unlock time to POP should target 9 months to allow 3 months into POP before the next server releases. That is right the next server.

You see the MEGA server is a server that other No Box, POP lock servers will feed into. This will eliminate the "player drain" as they will all end up back into the MEGA server.

Every year we would be able to have a new No Box Pop Lock server in addition to what ever strange ruleset DBG wanted to release that year but also be able to keep the continuality of our characters that we played the previous year.

Every on EQs anniversary we get a new server that will feed into the MEGA Server.

- It consolidates expenses for DBG. No more keeping old dead servers alive past PoP It keeps the revolving door open for the players.
    - Players get to keep our raid toons on the MEGA server for ever.
    - Helps with player retention.
    - Gives the players a sense of continuality which we do not currently get with TLPs as they die.
    - Generates $$$ for DBG on a regular cycle.
    - We can count on it. Think of it like Seasons in Diablo. Or rolling an alt on another server that will come back to your main server.
    - Do not prohibit making other TLPs or rulesets along with the yearly.

I really wish this happened with the name Aradune as it would have been so fitting... but that was a pipe dream.

Also... EG7 announced today that it has acquired Daybreak for $300 million.
    Montag likes this.
  2. ikarinokamii Elder

agnarr is awesome but we dont need another pop locked server. there should be another locked server, but it should lock around SoD.
  3. MMOer Augur

omg.. they censored the words great and the word again out of my post. Literally can not post these words together.

What has this world become.
    Uthor, Pikachuuu and Raptorjesus5 like this.
  4. MMOer Augur

I would say make Agnar the feeder server but that would not be fair to people who are there and did not expect that. Thus make a new one.
  5. Xeris Augur

Alternatively... You can just play on Agnarr, the pop lock server that already exists that has a small but very nice community already.

They literally have this server already so why make another one. The dumbest thing is just repeating the same old TLPs over and over again. Phinny, Coirnav, Mangler, Aradune... They're all basically the same thing with some very minor tweaks here and there.

Agnarr, Selos, Miragul were very unique concepts and they should do more unique things for players who want something diff. Sure, Miragul was a big flop, but at least the idea was different. Personally, I think era-locked servers are the best and offer the broadest appeal to casuals... Nothing is better than being able to play specifically in an era you enjoy the most and NEVER feel like you're going to be left behind.

Wanna really take time with your character and min/max every possible thing? You can do that on a locked server. Want to take time and explore the world at your own pace while still maintaining gear relevance w/ the rest of the server? You can do that on a locked server. It's amazing.

Obviously, this is only the case for players who don't mind being locked into the same content forever, but I imagine that there are more EQ players that prefer specific eras of EQ than those who want to play through a TLP all the way to live. This is pretty clearly indicated by the amount of players that drop out of TLPs in various eras. I.e. I have a bunch of friends that play all the new TLPs hardcore from classic thru velious and then leave. Personally, I'm playing on Agnarr because I like POP specifically, and so on.

This is really the best model for TLPs in the future imo. You'd have a super high pop of players who play on the TLP because classic-velious is always very popular, and eventually the server will retain only those players who truly care about that era, and it becomes a really great/positive community (like Agnarr). It's niche sure but no late stage TLP had a super huge population, see Selos and Phinny.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  6. jeskola pheerie

Locked servers are garbage. There are not enough people comfortable with never progressing again to make them viable. Locked servers are not the solution to TLP attrition.
  7. ikarinokamii Elder

i dont know how you reached this conclusion, there is one locked server, and it has a better population than any other TLP that's age and it has a better population than some TLPs younger than it. Factually you are just incorrect.
  8. Triconix Augur

A majority of the people who want a POP locked servers are already on the currently existing one. Creating a new one is just going to cannibalize the one that already exists. You aren't going to bring in any new players. All the players that go to the server will just be migrants from other servers. This is why you shouldn't be creating TLPs over and over and over. It doesn't do anythingi but cannibalize from other servers.

The only thing I can see this server accomplishing would be driving people to boredom even quicker as they can no longer box.
  9. Machen New Member

A lot of those players won't keep playing if there isn't a new TLP. People fall behind and feel they can't catch up, or they don't want to play the content their server has progressed to, but they are ready for a new start. Sure it cannibalizes, but it does so in a way that brings in a lot more sub money to DPG than if they didn't start new servers fresh. It's unfortunate for people who want to play later in the expansions, as the pop inevitably dwindles, but it is what it is.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

Maybe the new owners will have more sense (one can hope.) It's ridiculous to filter the names of those 3rd party apps, too. By hiding them they don't exist, I guess. George Orwell anyone?
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

How do you come to this conclusion?
  12. ikarinokamii Elder

Huh? I didnt say there should be another agnarr. I clearly said there should not be another agnarr. What I said there would be another locked server in around the SoD era.

Making another pop locked server would be silly, we already have one, its very good, but we don't need another, but I firmly believe a server locked around SoD could be successful, and i dont believe it would cannaablize from angarr at all.
  13. tofu stir fry Augur

locking a server makes no sense whatsoever ... who wants to do the same boring raid in time forever and ever .... i mean groundhog day was a funny movie to watch but no one wants to actually live in that situation .... eq is about character growth not stagnation
    Jbur likes this.
  14. ikarinokamii Elder

except for the fact that there are 3 raiding guild on agnarr even 3 years. which is a lot more that some other "unlocked" servers.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Best TLP server is...anything BUT Pop locked, No Box, MEGA Server
    Machen likes this.
  16. Gnothappening Augur

No box... so no players at all, because every computer is a box, even if it is only a single computer.

I think you guys would be better off asking them to code it so that, as soon as you log in, you are forced into a group with someone. Because really, that seems to be what you want. "Please, take away all options for people to play so that they have to group with me!!!!"

If I come across as annoyed, honestly I am a little. We have a game that is over 20 years old and one that I personally love. It has a dedicated base that enjoys playing it. Every server release though, we have people asking them to take away as many options for people to play as possible. Look, I love EQ, but let's be real. EQ isn't going to have a revitalization and bring in droves of new players. For that we would need an entirely new game like everquest next. PLEASE STOP ASKING THEM TO TAKE AWAY WAYS FOR PEOPLE TO PLAY. Also realize that most of today's players don't want to put in any time to reach the top (too many participation trophy kids). This means that you won't be seeing a lot of new to EQ players.
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Chopsuey Augur

Sounds terrible. Would not play.
    sedain111 likes this.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

I didn't say what you quoted me as saying but I get how it happened.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Is Agnarr seeing a constant influx of a lot of new players? I suspect it isn't so it is not growing it is simply maintaining an audience who want a PoP-Locked server, an audience which is largely static in numbers to begin with.

As said before the people who want PoP-Locked are already on Agnarr and there are unlikely to be large numbers waiting for another TLP that is locked. This is a completely different demographic than the other TLP servers and it is therefore largely invalid to compare how many guilds Agnarr has with any other server at any other point in time they are so different.

As far as a locked server in another era goes, I really doubt there are anywhere near the numbers needed to make a success of it.
  20. MMOer Augur

New players don't join agnar and TLP's in general because its top heavy. You have one single month of new players. After that its too slow of a trickle to support groups.

This is one of the main reason for the MEGA server that new Pop locks will feed into.