Skill ups in tradeskills

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kinaforum, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Kinaforum Journeyman

If i remember correctly, the higher a stat, the better chance to succeed. for example, higher int means better success rate for making jewelry. I'm doing jewelry right now.

What about just skill ups? Does higher int make you skill up better? What are ways to make the skill up process quicker, if any?

And, on Rizlona, what, if any, methods are there to increase chance of success minus simply raising my int stat?
  2. starvingblacksmith New Member

success is based purely on skill.
    skill up is based on some prime stat, like int,wis,str,dex

eqtraders.com has a calculator that is surprisingly accurate.

i use it to calculate the expectation of skill ups and load up trade materials appropriately for a tight fit.
  3. Tweakfour17 Augur

4. starvingblacksmith New Member

mods on fishing, i can verify to work. i have an ancient fishing pole and made some bait that changes my skill lvl. this may have been available in classic/kunark but i didn't try it out til a few days ago.
  5. starvingblacksmith New Member

oh i misread. make your own mods... this is interesting, ill give it a whirl.
  6. YourJobNotYourLife Elder

Successes have a better chance of raising your skill than failures so you want to do recipes that are close to the trivial level to be most efficient.
    Nolrog likes this.
  7. Kinaforum Journeyman

Ok, so higher skill, better chance of success. Better chance of success equals better chance of skill up. Higher stats equals better chance of skill up, sound about right?

I was wondering, i was doing like 15 - 20 combines to get a skill at low int, like 145 int.

I'm at skill 167, when should I start again? Like, what int should I shoot for before I attempt to raise again?

And I looked at the grandmaster item for jewelcraft - says skill of 300-500, i will want to try that when i'm like 250 or so.
  8. starvingblacksmith New Member

success i'm not sure impacts skill up greatly.

if you use the tool, there is a split on chance of skill up on success or fail. which i guess are different values.

255 is the max your int can be, you can get an enchanter and bard to help you out if you are still under cap. in general, just try to skill at the cap if you can.

i made the mistake of mastering 3 tradeskills on a bard...

i've noticed right around 150 things start slowing down....
    by like 167 i noticed around a 10% success rate @255 wis.
  9. Gremin Augur

I do all my tradeskilling on an ogre, lol. Wisdom suit ftw.
  10. Nakoda Lorekeeper

does each trade skill have a different stat or is it just the prim stat for your class?
  11. starvingblacksmith New Member

that's a good question, and i'm going to take a guess and say its the max value of either stat regardless of class. when skilling on my bard (smithing/baking) and monk (brewing) i went ahead and stat buffed STR since its the easiest to get to cap, and it seemed to work.

I don't really have any evidence. And it might be different for class specific skills, eg. poison making.

just sharing my experience, maybe someone else knows?
    Nakoda likes this.
  12. Kinaforum Journeyman

So with my int at 150 right now, should I wait to keep going or am I going to basically never skill up? right now i'm only focused on skill ups, not success.
  13. starvingblacksmith New Member

I think it is part of the gameplay to make that decision,

using the calculator:

trying an item with trivial @ 170 and 150 int.
    Adjusted Skill = 167
    Success chance = 91%
    Chance of skill up on Success: 5.57%, on failure: 2.78%, overall 5.32%

vs @170 and 255 int.

Adjusted Skill = 167
    Success chance = 91%
    Chance of skill up on Success: 9.9%, on failure: 4.95%, overall 9.45%

i would personally wait to get your int up.. but it's up to you and your needs.

if you are trying to make a single item, trying to get to trivial before the combine is usually much more lengthy than gambling and failing a couple times before getting what you want. Depending on cost/rarity of the materials.

That gamble is part of the fun.
  14. Gremin Augur

Smithing is Str/Wis/Int, whichever is highest of the 3
    Fletching is Dex/Wis/Int, whichever is highest of the 3
    Rest of the them are Int/Wis, whichever is the highest of the 2.

Referring to the base 7 tradeskills.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  15. Kinaforum Journeyman

Thanks - definitely not unlimited plat here! I'm working on getting int up, which is needed anyways, thanks for the info everyone!