Selo Truebox

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Pappasalt, Jun 19, 2020.

1. sieger Augur

Also Gorgasm in our guild has boxed almost all of this stuff with his six box crew and he will be the first to tell you he's a bad player.
  2. sieger Augur

Also reclaiming Argath is just annoying, it isn't "hard", in fact I'm no sure you can even fail it. My group basically foamed at the mouth and barely understood what we were doing while doing that mission and it took ages, but we were never at risk of dying or failing. If I had read how the mission worked before doing it, it probably would have been a little easier but it is just a badly designed mission. We had at least 3 box crews I'm aware of complete it without serious issue on Selo.
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

Were those boxers that breezed through the hard missions raid geared?
  4. Tweakfour17 Augur

Also truebox vs alt tabbing on a live server would change the dynamic a bit
  5. michahs1 New Member

we have no raid geared boxes, if that's what you're referring to, on selo. mains that are completing these are not in era raid geared upon completion, either. i completed the eok group prog with my box crew this month with, at maximum, 1 piece of eok raid gear, and completed the tbm and tds group content prior to taking any raid gear in either expansion. wasn't necessarily hard, but doing it with an actual group as opposed to my crew was, also, substantially easier.
  6. Rage Lorekeeper

Boxes get little to no raid gear on Selos. Even mains aren't getting the amount of gear you see on other servers, RoS launches tomorrow and the average person has maybe 6-7 pieces of EoK raid gear.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

Let me know how Fall Foilage goes for you when you get there (the first RoS mission).
  8. michahs1 New Member

i already did it on test, was np
  9. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Group content with a full 6 man group or full 6 boxed group is and always has been easy. Even without raid gear, with very limited and often temporary exceptions like the GoD trials in era or some MPG trials in era.

It is the 3 box + 3 merc, or worse, less than a full group of entities where content becomes difficult regardless of gear level.

Allowing boxing on later era TLP servers gives people the option to box more characters if they wish or the ability to box the ones they already have slightly easier than they do currently, saving power and clearing up desk space.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. HoodenShuklak Augur

My tank merc doesn't hit defensive until 2% hp.
  11. sieger Augur

Right, and I really don't know all the permutations of what people try, but it's definitely the case years ago if you were on Phinny you probably could run a group with like a Monk / Berserker / Bard and some healer mercs and do anything you wanted to do, or before mercs were around throw a badly geared Shaman box in that group and roll through everything. You definitely need a box group that is anchored by either a real tank or perhaps a couple mage pets (which actually tank situationally better than real tanks on TLP in the 105 era in group content against single mobs.) A raid geared tank as the anchor for a box crew would be the gold standard, but even a group geared tank, through the virtue of the strong cooldowns the tank classes have + the ability to DPS burn, can get you through just about anything. Now if you're stubbornly refusing to have any real tank or real healer in your box group, I think it's reasonable to expect you will have a really hard time with some group content. The game is designed around an expectation you can tank and heal.
  12. Gorgasm Journeyman

This I think the is the crux of the issue. Regardless of if your group is boxed or are all real players, the game is designed around having tanking and healing in your group. For whatever reason tank mercs are basically the worst of the three mercs, and are often times completely non viable. You could take a 6 wizard group with 6 real players into this missions and also be unable to complete them.

For better or worse, EQ is a game designed around having something of a fairly templated group composition, and while you can sometimes make up for deviations from that core template (e.g. using deftdance to take no damage from a boss if you can burn it quickly enough to kill it before deftfance wears off), in general deviations end up being non-viable in at least some content.

If anything, the fact that is still true is the biggest sign that modern Everquest is designed around people being able to box through the content. Given that Everquest does not have a high enough active population to support 100% of it's players not boxing and only filling groups with "real" players, then the fact that they're still designing mandatory group content suggests that they expect at least some level of boxing to occur in that design. If they didn't, then they would take a different path, such as WoW did where your individual progression is almost entirely tied to doing tasks that are 100% solo-able.
  13. Machen New Member

Yeah. I think these were designed to annoy boxers. You are right, it's not that they are hard for the most part, just pull-your-hair-out frustating. All the quests that involve a high level of tedium, multiply that times six and it becomes miserable.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Oh yes I am a terrible player & an even worse boxer, just ask anyone :rolleyes:

My Magelos are in my signature for my box trio, and I rely on Mercs for the other 3 group slots when boxing, I use no 3rd party software.

Like I said a few times having a player character Tank class is a huge differentiator, if it is a Raid geared main then it's even more of a game-changer.

I have a Warrior at level 100 but with Truebox (and no job for over a year thanks to Covid 19) I cannot run more than the 3 accounts right now, once that Truebox is removed & I can play my Warrior again & 4-box having that player tank will be a Massive night vs Day difference in what I can do - Merc tanks SUCK but that's all I have for now.

I don't have no tank out of choice, a 3 non-tank + mercs "should" be viable, it just isn't, the fact I get though as much content with my box trio as I do (all mercenary & partisan from Hot up to EoK - haven't done much beyond OT/SFM in RoS as I was gearing up my boxes on crafted so far) just screams out how crap I am....
  15. Rage Lorekeeper

The issue with tank mercs is you can't stack them and its fairly binary as to whether they work or not. DPS mercs are awful compared to a decent dps, they do maybe 10-12% of a good DPS sustained in EoK and like 4% of a good DPS burning. Most of the time that just means you progress slower though, not that you can't progress at all. Cleric mercs heal throughput is really weak compared to an actual cleric but you can stack 2 or 3 and combined they do ok. You can't really do the same with tank mercs though.

I think its fairly common knowledge that tank mercs struggle in some content and having a pet or tank class in a box crew will increase the content you can do.
  16. Rage Lorekeeper

I'm not sure how you can brag about clearing almost all content and claim your 3 box isn't "viable" in the same sentence. The fact that you have to group up with other people to complete the occasional harder mission in an MMO isn't a design flaw.
  17. Tweakfour17 Augur

Depending on when he completed the HoT-EoK progression. If he is doing it during RoS then doing non-current stuff because its not viable with your composition so you do older content stuff isn't exactly bragging. Of course if he did all the HoT - EoK progression in their respective era then it doens't make much sense to say thats not viable since it clearly is.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Non-viable for certain missions, like the ones I pointed out already.....

Most of the content I am having to clear out of era with boxes, HoT was an exception I did everything including hunters in era but that expansion was overall more group & boxer friendly & merc tanks coped okay with it mostly, EoK I managed all but the Hero missions boxed in-era, that's not really bragging just countering the claim I'm just a crap boxer.

My way of tackling content is 90% do as much as I can or everything in/with a conventional 6 real players group on my main then try to box it as best as I can with my alts, so I'm not avoiding playing with real players what I am doing is XP/AA grinding & trying to get my alts through the mission afterwards.

I use boxing when I cannot get a group for xp/aaxp, for farming tradeskill materials. Some players have no option but to box on some days just due to the composition of who logged in that day & who their friends / clique members are. Phinigel is an aging server & the EU population there consists of a single guild with maybe 25 every-day activity players and another 15-20 players who play less than that.
    When you are seeing only 2-4 tanks online & the majority are already boxing their own team or have established cliques that you simply don;t fit into because they are already full on dps classes you don't have many options, without the limited terrible & crap boxing I do I would have quit playing altogther 2-3 years ago. I needed Truebox gone 2 years ago to allow my to run a better 4 box with a real tank but that's not the situation I am in.
    Sure I could let either the Shaman or Bard account lapse and play the Warrior in my 3 box instead but then I lose a puller or a healer and both of those are my Berserker's support classes, my complaint is I should not have to do that, why do Merc tanks even exist if they are so bad you can't do group content in-era with them?
    Accipiter and Tweakfour17 like this.
  19. FranktheBank Augur

I don't think anyone disagrees that merc tanks and really all mercs should be better to allow classes like bards, zerkers, rogues, etc to do content.

The thing is, you are intentionally handicapping yourself with a strict box team.

We had a zerker main on Selo who runs an SK and Shm box and he does fantastic. Though, when he is boxing, he drives from the SK, then logs on to the zerker for raids.

Better yet, people can just run a necro box and use the pet to tank and the necro to dps and your group comp no longer matters lol.
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

Well, perhaps I gave up too easily. I lasted about 15 seconds. Did you have a caster group?