Idea for New Server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by negolin, Nov 26, 2020.

1. negolin Journeyman

No mounts, no PoK, no spires to luclin, no run speed aa's, etc.

If the players need each other more for speed, ports, etc (which leads to more socialization as well) I think everyone would feel more attuned to the world.

Just an idea. Make the TLP like the original trilogy and you may find a larger base even at later expansions.
  2. Jbur New Member

nope
    Xhartor and Yinla like this.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

Might as well ask for a pantheon launch date.
    Popknot likes this.
  4. Nightmoon New Member

Dear God no...Last thing we need is yet another TLP to dilute the population even further.
    If anything we need some merges.
  5. Tweakfour17 Augur

I imagine there will be both.
    Selo/Phinny will both hit live sometime around / before they usually roll out a new TLP. Coirnav is ripe to be merged and will actually be in pretty close era to Ragefire if not meet sometime in the spring as well. Miragul is chugging along and due to hit live in 2021 as well. There is no merge option that will please everyone, but if DBG needs the hardware there ARE options. They will likely do something to free up the hardware as I don't see them stopping the 1-2 fresh TLP cycle at this point, they are too popular and bring in too much money from bag/krono sales that I expect we'll get 1-2 EVERY year until we have a couple flops in a row.
  6. ikarinokamii Elder

I do think there is space for a new locked server. locked either at TSS or the TBS. I also agree there will be a new unlock progression server, simply because there is a population of players out there that wantto run classic eq to pop constantly and the Krono farmers who want to cater to those players.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Can't see Coirnav being merged with Ragefire due to it being on a completely different expansion unlock scheme, most likely DarkPaw just allow it to slowly die & merge it to Vox once the last raid guild there stops being able to raid, personally I think they should merge it with Phinigel so at least the few remaining players have a couple of guilds they can join with for company on at least EU/USA east coast times.

Selo will likely lose Faceless as an active guild once it hits live in Mar 2021and again DarkPaw will merge that with Vox once the last raid guild there stops being able to raid.

Miragul has 1 albeit large (the last time i looked) guild still raiding so it might left left alone once it hits live, it's possible they could merge it with another live server but that would mean removing the big key feature of the server which was the 85 heroic character start there - if any of the latter-stage TLP has a chance to keep it's USP then Miragul might be it, since while it has 85 heroic start it doesn't have AoC.

Phinigel hits live in May 2021, still has 3 guilds though, will almost certainly lose AoC and become a bog-basic standard live server with no special features remaining from having been a TLP server, if it keeps Truebox and continues to be all-access only then that will finally kill the server off after damaging its retention capacity for years, best case scenario for the Europeans there is they get a free transfer off and move to AB - for the USA players a straightforward merge to Vox is probably their best case.

I guess there is an incredibly slim chance that Miragul could become the TLP dumping ground, a slimmer chance Selo will become the dumping ground or that Phinigel will become the dumping ground for elder TLP but with the server merge tech back up and running my guess is that the devs would MUCH rather bolster the live servers populations with TLP players who reach live rather than have a TLP server become where they all end up getting merged to, this last option also totally negates any conversations about any of the EX-TLP keeping their unique features/rules which another reason I think this is the most likely option.

I'm cynical maybe, but the dev team want to do as little work on TLP as possible, their focus is the live game, and only removing whatever "roadblocks" may be found on TLP that cause blocks in progression - most of which have been fixed after feedback from Phinigel & Selo.
    Whatever option has the lowest amount of effort from them required is what I think they will opt for.
    TLP servers generate money but I think the long term goal is that they generate Expansion buying players and help fill up the live servers who are struggling with player numbers as a source of replenishment for those.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

P99 exists & does not have, or actually removed a lot of the QoL features which players enjoy on the paid game.

A server like the one you suggest would be really unpopular, why pay to play P99 when P99 is free?
  9. Thez69 Elder

yea it just sounds like you should play p99 instead

if you were around when they announced mangler, it was slated to have slightly slower xp and more penalty for death and the masses lost their minds forcing them to revert that idea

the serial tlp'ers on their 9th tlp want it to be faster if anything, not in slow motion
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Triconix Augur

Here's an idea: No new TLP server. Learn to play and enjoy content past POP. It's some of the best there is.

QoL changes made the game better, not worse. All the things you listed made the game more enjoyable, expanded the world for more travel opportunities in less time, so people can partake in the more fun features of the game IE grinding, raiding, questing. Taking 30 minutes to travel across Antonica is not fun. It's boring. Leave the nut house people who like features in P99.
    Skuz, Xoner, Nightmoon and 1 other person like this.
  11. chunk normous New Member

I would like to see something new and different.

I want the next server to start in classic like past ones but I want any race can be any class. Dont worry GMs you dont need to recode armor besides maybe epics. This would make gearing pretty interesting and challenging if you were like a ogre cleric :).

pvp tlp server would be fun now that DZs are a thing.

I always wanted to play a single life hardcore server. Tweak bosses so they can not harm touch obviously.

im sure there is other fun ideas. they made event servers in the past but they were always dumb and did something like start at 90! well people still want to earn their loot :( dont just have us start at something like that ;/
  12. Thez69 Elder

I guess the every class thing is somewhat doable if you let ogres start in neriak theoretically they could be any class that de's can be, not sure what you do about monk druid etc tho w/o redesigning every hometown or starting in tss

if half aradunes population was flagged pvp i could see the argument for a pvp server but nobody is

i admire the optimism that anyone on a single death server would raid
  13. Dissonant1 New Member

I think what they really need to do with the TLPs is so SLOW TLPs, like unlock expansions every 6 months or so. I really enjoy the TLPs but i kind of want more time in the expansions. rushing through an expac to get the items and quests you want is rough for people with jobs etc.

We have had normal and fast TLPs, lets get a slow one going! Like a long term TLP. Would like a 6-8month unlock timeline server.
  14. Nightmoon New Member

Play on Ragefire.... Job done.
  15. TLPman Augur

this is 2020 we don't socialize we social distance so this idea is crazy
  16. Moranis Augur

I noticed you've mentioned "playing past PoP" in a number of posts, but you're aware that there's a large contingent of the player-base that think the cons outweight the pros in the post-PoP game - right?

You are correct in mentioning that a number of the TLP complaints get resolved after PoP - but it's disingenuous to think that there aren't a number of bad things that get implemented post-PoP as well. Myself, and many others, see the post-PoP era as a fundamentally different game - in large part due to the transition from a simple slower-paced game to a complex button-masher. Original EQ rewarded efficiency in playing your character - balancing DPS with mana/hp - but much of the post-PoP game revolves around just creating a DPS-grinder to kill as fast as possible and then ooc regen.

If post-PoP reduced the clicks per minute by about 75% and eliminated ooc regen, I would probably play it.

Most people want the pros of the post-PoP game applied to the pre-PoP game because they are too turned off by the cons.

Just my 2 cents.
  17. Triconix Augur

And I'll bet 90% of all my stuff that most players that say the cons outweigh the pros have rarely, if ever, played well past POP.

That's not a mark of a different game. It's just a game becoming more advanced over time. Essentially what you're saying is a majority of TLP players aren't skilled enough to play past POP and therefore they think it's bad? Is that the excuse you're subtly getting at? Most players would like to limit themselves to small scope of the game because it involves slow, easy content, requiring no more than a single hot bar and a few button presses a minute?

I'm sorry, but early EQ is dreadfully slow at times and overtly simplistic and I have no hesitation stating this as someone who has played since turn of the century at the age of 10.

But let's give an example of how laughably simple EQ was initially. If devs stayed true to Classic EQ, warriors would not have a single existing non-passive hate ability to press outside of taunt (which didn't really provide hate in original EQ). Now you have players/guilds leveraging not-so-kosher and unintended methods of attaining and maintaining hate and that simply highlights the major deficiencies found in vanilla EQ.

There are just too many deficiencies in the game prior to even just AAs that cannot go unnoticed by the community. Class balance is essentially non-existent. Core class abilities were/are unavailable for some classes. Itemization is laughable at best, absolutely pitiful at worst. People even forget, in all the grandeur that is Velious, itemization in that expansion was completely redone mid expansion and even into Luclin and this was the first time itemization had some semblance of maturation and sense (Blade of Carnage wasn't nearly as good as it is now. Almost all ToV loot was done over. Tunare I believe wasn't even itemized at the start of Velious). I can continue on and on with this, but I won't. I could even go on about some "classic" EQ things that were thankfully changed (imagine having a hotbar of only 6 buttons today or not even having a discipline window o_O).

Original EQ rewarded nothing different. You were just limited to how fast you can kill because the game induced snail-like regen for casters and major negative results for melee. How can we forget the delights of when doing just about anything resulted in loss of stamina (like attacking with heavy weapons) and the resulting consequences of being fatigued?

People have always, and will always, try to kill as fast as the game mechanics allows. This notion hasn't changed. The only thing that changed was abilities allowed this to be faster gradually over time as more classes were rewarded with more abilities. What hasn't changed is the rate of killing is determined by if you know how to use these abilities correctly in conjunction with your group and their abilities. This concept has remained for as long as the game has been around and no amount of abilities has driven it off course..

Let's not start picking and choosing what classic experiences we want because even now, "classic" EQ is heavily modified and sped up. One of the primary archetypes (pure melee) no longer have to put in any effort at resource management in vanilla EQ due to stamina fatigue being nonexistent.

So the primary justification for post-PoP content being bad is people actually had to put forth some sort of effort into playing a game extending past this absolutely debilitating effort of clicking more per minute?

PoP wasn't even the mark of high clicks per minute in EQ. It took many years after PoP to become a real masher of a game. The primary change after PoP was the transition and slow death of tank and spank encounters into to a game that consisted more of events with mechanics. I guess this also goes hand-in-hand with your notion that people had too many "clicks per minute" to deal with? No longer were the days where you can just stand behind a mob with auto attack, clicking a single button on refresh, and then getting loot after X minutes.
  18. Moranis Augur

I can't speak for anyone else, but I played from about Underfoot to TBL and I think the cons outweigh the pros.

I never advocated for "classic" EQ - when I mention "Original EQ" I'm referring to how the game played prior to increased APM and ooc regen. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind if they threw fatigue issues back in there - add a little spice.

I like a lot of the changes made to TLP and would love to see some Live changes applied to TLPs - so long as they're not the ones I mentioned.

To each their own, as they say.
  19. ikarinokamii Elder

A server that starts at Sol or Pop and locks at Sod. with 6 month unlocks, AOC would be so good.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Devs have said that isn't going to be possible, the animations for some classes are simply not there for all races, additionally some classes don't have robe graphics at all (Ogre/Troll Beastlord have to purchase Heroes Forge to have a Robe graphic from one of those sets, the standard files don't have them available).

Also the problem is that as of right now the combinations for Woodelf Beastlord & Froglok Monk are tied to a very late era expansion (Call of the Forsaken), Berserkers are tied to Gates of Discord & Beastlords are tied to Luclin, other combinations are tied to Luclin too, Gnome SHD/PAL & Halfling PAL/RNG.

They removed the Plane of Fear gears for Beastlords & Berserkers so they can now only drop when those classes are unlocked with the expansions that they are tied to.

So the only way you could even get the CURRENT combos of EQ all in at the start would be with a server that had every expansion up to Call of the Forsaken unlocked so at that point you won't have anything resembling a TLP unless the devs have coded a level-lock mechanism to provide a TLP style progression, doing that for just 1 server is unlikely to be something they would spend the code time on. A whole bunch of other class/race combinations would take years due to the current item restrictions & then you have a whole ton of quests in starter cities to consider all those new combinations would need. In short, that's a metric f**K-ton of work for not really very much return on investment - all that effort would be better invested into a new EverQuest game, one built from the ground up to facilitate the ability to have a huge number of classes & races and combinations of them.

For you and at most 30-40 other EQ PvP enthusiasts? - not going to happen.

If EverQuest ever does PvP of any kind in the future it would have to be something like Warhammer Age of Reckoning's Instanced PvP, scenarios or Star Wars the Old Republic's "Warzones" or "Huttball" sports-themed PvP.

EQ's open-world 1v1 PvP sucks badly, the best PvP EQ ever Had was Sullon Zek's which was somewhat close to RvRvR and was still nowhere near as good as DAoC's RvRvR.

As a short-lived "event" server yeah, maybe, I personally can't see that appealing to the EverQuest crowd at all, not the current or the past players.

Quarm was 51/50

I suggested a GoD-Mode TLP, since the only way to have EQ with Beastlords & Berserkers in from the beginning without a lot of dev work/time would be one with all expansions up to & including Gates of Discord unlocked, if the level locking I proposed for that isn't possible then that could alternatively have a 51/50 start too but instead of ending at Quarm or Overlord Mata Muram being beaten it would have a 12 week/8week unlock schedule and go all the way to live.