Ideas that didn't work out (good thing)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Leerah, Nov 25, 2020.

1. KrakenReality Augur

Alright man, I'll take my loss on this one. I don't like it, but I'm going to sit at the bar with my boy Old Man Mckenzie, and I'm going to keep ranting about these damn collectibles.
    Flatchy and Leerah like this.
  2. Triconix Augur

There's a huge difference between what you dislike and something that didn't work. HF worked and continues to work perfectly. Many enjoy it and DPG continues to make money on it. If they didn't, they wouldn't continue making more sets.

I personally think a lot of the sets are fantastic, plate being the best. Maybe try a Drakkin? They look especially sexy in plate. My personal favorite is the Arx set. Oh my, such a nice contrast with my blade of pure light ornament from Overseer.

Gonna have to hand you the L on this one.

How does this differ with any other item? At least collectibles carry of theme relating to the specific zone. They are unique, with fun lore descriptions, and add an additional layer of character & soul to the zones.

If you want to complain about stuff dropping off mobs, how about you complain about random mobs dropping coins, armor, bricks of ore, etc. ?
    KrakenReality likes this.
  3. Ninelder Augur

In reality EQ lost most of its subscribers during PoP. Why many current players have gilded memories of that expansion is beyond me. Unfortunately math tells a different story. Not that was any single reason...

Having most of the expansion locked behind progression that was blockable by raid guilds full of basement dwelling involuntary celibates means most people didn't get their moneys worth. For anyone that remembers the dreadful tale of Forsaken/Conviction and I am sure a bunch of other infamous guilds on different servers that drove players away by hundreds of thousands.

As a cleric and a druid, my memories of PoP raids consisted of what different walls looked like, unfortunately this terribad raid design didn't stop the devs from repeating it for six more years. You may think that merc disparity killed the cleric class off, but a great deal more stopped playing due to PoP "wall raids" and the six years of "wall raids" that followed. It was standard to lose 2-4 healers on every time raid because they would fall asleep at the keyboard. Instead of fixing the problem or learning from it, they just turned druids into armourless versions of "cleric-lite." This alongside LDoN caused most of the druids to quit to, literally 90pct of druid mains quit/main-changed during this time

We could ask them about "the greatest expansion in EQ history;" but it was so "ungreat" they stopped playing.
  4. Triconix Augur

Populations dropped long after POP, mainly in the time frame WoW and EQ2 released. The population of EQ was growing during POP, not falling. The "peak" EQ population of around 500k people was around the 2003-2004 years so I have no idea where you're coming up with your notion that EQ died during POP. Maybe your one guild did, but that anecdote certainly doesn't fit the reality for the entirety of the game.

I'm sorry, but your argument for bored healers during POP holds no water. Literally the same exact thing happened in Kunark and Velious. Hide the clerics away to avoid everything and heal the tanks.
    Skuz and Elyssanda like this.
  5. Raptorjesus5 Augur

People are bringing up specific things about them, but I find power sources in general are pretty terrible. It would be way less of a hassle if you could like, have it drain tribute points instead for the power gain instead of constantly having to make or find new power sources.

Scaling up of HAs was a really bad design and made me quit the game for a while when I couldn't progress even in content that was years old because it scaled. I'd also to like to add any group mission that has a mechanic that requires a certain number of players to be there. It's fine when that's the current expansion but it's basically impossible to find players who want to go back and random missions. This even includes things like monster missions. If I am max level I should be able to do old content without having to pay other players huge amounts of plat or krono just because of some arbitrary mechanic.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I've never been a huge fan of collections. For the most part it was just an extra source of income for me for many many years. My biggest gripe with them is when they locked "power" behind collecting them, like the extra trophy slots.

I still wouldn't classify them as a failure though, plenty of people love them and I can still make some plat off them :)
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I'd like to see an option to recharge the power sources, rather than sit and farm the same stuff over and over to have a stockpile.

Each expansion with a PS could require that expansion or later expansion level of crafted recharge item. Stick in a toolbox, clicky boom. The power sources themselves were never rally a huge "problem" their lack of being user friendly was. More so with Xorbb Orb and beyond. I remember being overly relieved when SoD brought in crafted Power Sources.. at least I could have a stack only taking 1 inventory slot.. even if the cost for convenience was a tad high.
    Skuz and Raptorjesus5 like this.
  8. Leerah Augur

I agree that Heroes Forge armor looks awful (Where's your neck?) and it's insulting to have to buy for each toon on the account. I have yet to buy one. But it IS popular, so I guess it worked out. (Except for stupid hats!) Hats don't even fit right.
  9. Leerah Augur

Oh yah! Tribute and trophies! Can anybody tell when they're turned on or not? Again, a good idea, poorly implemented.
  10. Leerah Augur

Ten levels of mercenary ability! All we needed was J1, A1, J5 and A5. And while we're at it, everyone should get 4 mercenary slots, period. The quests to get more slots are impossible if you don't do trade skills.
  11. Raptorjesus5 Augur

5 different levels made more sense when you unlocked one new level with each zone of progression in Seeds of Discord. Now that you get a "free" J5 merc it's pretty pointless.

At least one additional slot should be more accessible in game though. Maybe purchasable with loyalty points.
  12. Svann2 The Magnificent

I just wish they could do something better than the generic white marble graphic.
  13. Windance Augur

I have a modified window that shows when they are turned on.
    Nennius likes this.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They didn't get merged because they didn't work but as part of an aa consolidation to reduce the number of older AA in the system.
  15. Triconix Augur

Why would you want your neck showing in armor? Have you looked at any suit of armor actually worn? Necks are one of your most protected areas because they are the most vulnerable...

I will agree it's a bit annoying that the purchase isn't account-wide, at least per server, but it is what it is. HF is still widely used by many players and that's definitely a check mark in the success column. They also sell pretty rapidly in bazaar, especially the raid pieces, so it's pretty evident that HF has made its mark on this game and people quite enjoy it.
    Fuzzlump and Elyssanda like this.
  16. Elyssanda Bardbrain

a second one can be gained through a quest that starts in POK
    Yinla likes this.
  17. Leerah Augur

LOL! My point exactly! Over the years I have seen two people saved by that second life proc.
  18. Leerah Augur

Even then, could you tell the difference between a J4 and J5?
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  19. Raptorjesus5 Augur

I don't really consider maxing all tradeskills to be accessible to non veteran players.