EverQuest randomly crashes AND my PC.

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by DekicaMekica, Nov 27, 2020.

1. DekicaMekica New Member

(My English is sorta bad and its my first time on this forum so I'm sorry if I'm writing in the wrong category.)

EverQuest randomly crashes and bricks my pc to the point where I have to restart my pc.
    I got an upgrade to my computer, and before the upgrade it never crashed. In my both states i used windows 10. My spec is:

G4400 3.3Ghz
    12GB RAM
    RX 460 2GB

I installed EverQuest through steam and it crashes both from the steam launcher and from the launcher directly in the directory. So far I've only tried lowering my graphics to the bare minimum and it still crashes. I don't know what to do. Thank you for any help you can give :)

Edit: I forgot to mention this but I'm not sure if it would help in any way. Launchpad.exe and eqgame.exe are both set in windows 7 compatibility, to be ran with administrator privileges and i disabled full screen optimizations. I have done this because the game would show a black window and crash if i were to start it without these options (I'm not quite sure about the administrator privileges and the full screen optimizations, I only enabled them because the game would also crash if i alt-tabbed, but i fixed that issue by setting my resolution to be the same as my monitor's)
  2. smash Augur

Sounds like it is the upgrade that does it, what is the upgrade ? hd/ram or what ?

Try to un upgrade it and see how it is then.
  3. GNOME_POWER Augur

Most people who crash often forget to install DirectX 9C.
    Rondor likes this.
  4. trakk Lorekeeper

Lots crashes with the most recent win10updates. It's not eq
  5. DekicaMekica New Member

Aren't newer DirectX versions compatible with the older ones, therefore you cannot install older ones?
    Or am I wrong?

I tried installing DirectX 9C , but i cant because it requires older versions of windows, and i have windows 10
  6. DekicaMekica New Member

And about the win10 updates... what can i do then? am i stuck?
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

No, sorry but this is wrong.

DirectX 9c is NOT in the latest Direct X. And it is compatible with all Windows.

And it is compatible with new windows 10 - in fact when Windows 10 came out there were a lot of posts on how to download it here.

And yes some folks did have an issue about that saying needs older Windows, I will look for the link and stick it in a post under this one
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

ok found it. Couple points -

if you have not done all your Window 10 updates then the problem could lie in that. Once we get this straightened out then future Windows updates should be ok.

On this link you will see that some users are using Win 7 compatability like you are so that should not be an issue

Also someone notes he had to do a manual download because my win10 does block the webinstaller.

You want the directx 9c link that is in XXGRIFF post here and his directions are good for downloading
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/black-screen.265325/
    Rondor likes this.
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Hmm also see a note about full screen might be the issue. could try that first since its so easy
  10. DekicaMekica New Member

1. Sorry, what I was trying to say is that I have DirectX 12 and I've heard/read that newer DirectX versions have the files from the older versions as well (backward compatible), so I thought DirectX wasn't the problem, but I might be wrong.
    Edit: As I was writing this comment I was also reading the third comment (yours) on this thread
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/grey-screen-on-log-in.265322/
    Might have found the issue i will update you. I didn't know that DirectX 12 didn't include DirectX 9.

2. About the full screen, my old monitor has terrible brightness/contrast settings and the gamma settings in game only work while full screen. It's simply too dark in windowed mode (I don't know if there's a trick to raise gamma in windowed mode)
    I haven't played long enough on windowed mode to see if it crashes because its extremely dark and next to unplayable.
  11. smash Augur

The brightness....
    When you start eq up, did you start up browser b4 eq ?
    If so, try to start up EQ first, and get char in, then you you should be able to change gamma.
    I myself have so, that if i start a browser up first, then gamma settings have no effect.
  12. DekicaMekica New Member

Sooo i fixed the issue, and i will go in detail of what I did.

Firstly, i downloaded DirectX 9 and installed it, after an hour, game bricked my pc again :/
    Then i tried to install the game from their website because i remember on my older spec i installed everquest from their website and it worked fine. Uninstalled everquest from steam, removed it from my account, and the next day i went on the everquest website and downloaded the setup (which only has the launcher, and from the launcher you download and install the full game) , after installing the LAUNCHER , a window popped up for DirectX (i don't think it said which version, nor did i look very hard). I installed it, and then the main game files started downloading. After 4 hours (slow internet) i had the game running. Today i made a dark elf wizard and i played with my new character long enough to finish every quest in Gloomingdeep mines and the game never crashed.

TL;DR - Uninstalled the game from steam and reinstalled it from https://www.everquest.com/home . The issue was missing DirectX files (probably)

To all the people that helped, Thank you :)
    Rondor likes this.