Source for program to display organized list of collection items in house now available.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nanbus, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Nanbus New Member

Hello,

This may not be of use to many but hopefully a few people may get some use out of this.

If anyone uses houses for collection items and always wanted an organized way to display it, I wrote a program that I used to do this. Since RoF, I had been saving extra collectibles for guildies. I made the program to help advertise what I had and allow people to send me emails letting me know which items they needed from which houses. Few people asked for items until the The Burning Lands came out.

There are instructions you can read on the web and they are included in the source. The programming language I used was "go" but I used to have an older Python version. In addition to the source, I have a Windows 10 executable there. I doubt that there will be enough downloads for the browsers that use reputation to ever consider it safe. Personally, When given the chance I would download the source and compile source rather than use an executable built by someone else. Downloading the source also lets you see what the program is doing and make any custom modifications that suit you better. It uses the MIT Open Source License.

As mentioned in the documentation on the web, this was written to specifically match my needs so may not be useful as is to others.

Output sample from an earlier version of the program can be found at https://nuttann.github.io/collection.html. It has been updated slightly to make some browsers handle the HTML details/summary tags better. I never did add any CSS as the browsers I used displayed it fine without any. I used 9 houses at the time to ensure that I had room for one stack of every collection item.

Relevant repositories:

https://github.com/nuttann/equtils - The programs currently available. Start with the Readme. There are links off of that for various parts.

https://github.com/nuttann/eqdata - Supporting data files (YAML files). The equtils documentation will also point to these and downloading them.

Just so you know, I stopped play EQ back in the spring but I may make updates if people are interested in using and have any suggested changes. Also, I can help keep the data files up-to-date if someone wants to send me the necessary data. While I don't check the email every day, I do periodically check "eqnuttann@gmail.com" even though I retired from EQ.

I might even be willing to make the loot filter management tool that I never got around to doing.

Thanks,
    Nuttann
    Rondor likes this.
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I find it rather inspiring that people are still writing third-party code for EverQuest. Great job!

I find it oppositely saddening that in 2020 we are forced to use third party apps and player "housing" to store and manage something now so pivotal as collectibles. I would have liked to see DPG introduce a new "house" specifically for storing, organizing, and dispensing collectibles, TS mats, and such. I guess that's probably never going to happen - so we're back to third party apps.

Thanks for posting this Nuttann. I will give it a try!
  3. trakk Lorekeeper

Will have to check it out. It uses the layout files? Or inventory outputs? Layouts would be best of course since multiple "owners" can exist for the items. I do wish they'd remove "owner" from tradeables items in housing and instead make it searchable through find item ANY tradeables in housing that you have add/remove access to(or at least co-owner). That bit of code would cover collections and tradeskill mats. My buddy and I share both such things and dozens of houses housing them, and many alts depositing or owning the plots
  4. Tsavo New Member

That's cool thanks!
  5. Nanbus New Member

It uses "/output realestate" files, so for my 9 houses, I had to do that from 3 toons each having 3 houses. It wasn't optimal, but worked for me because I did have 3 accounts at the time. Yeah, I only had one toon place items in all 9 houses so that they would stack. It wasn't too bad in my case.

In addition, I got a private guild neighborhood for houses for alts on those 3 accounts to hold TS and quest items. But that is a whole other matter :). These were more of a pain, but I just logged in those toons every so often just to do a dump.

Nuttann
  6. trakk Lorekeeper

Ah, see, if it used layouts..idk if the file would list the stuff in storage or not...but anyone can save a layout if they can add/remove. Can't do an output dump unless it's your plot though so I couldn't track stuff he has and vice versa...but if they'd figure out the coding for what I mentioned above- remove owner tags if tradeables(and not lore probably) then allowed searching or inventory dumps to list any item you have direct access to- like coowning a plot full of teadeables- then all would be well(btw, you could probably just take an inventory dump since it should list eachitem's location, and have 1/3 the work. Then just have to include location in your..spreadsheet? ..to sort by alternatively to alpha(if duplicates in multiple plots)

I keep trying to think of better ways to sort and Mark my plots directly, like coming up with unique designs for the yard that make it obvious which tradeskill it houses or which expansion etc, but it ends up being here: closest to vendors= all current tradeskill, then the real estate's "feel" and the "feel" of harmonious tradeskill(like my druids tree house in the middle of a hedfe maze is fishing and fletching..because wood..and jewelry because hippie lol. I was going to do pottery but decided that pottery oddly went best with tinkering supplies for me due to all the energeiac overlap. Baking and brewing. Smithing is alone and tailoring is alone, then the guys with the meth labs(poison and alchemy) are waaaaaaay on the other side of the zone because...well I ran outta space and I don't do either very often, it was an afterthought. Research has an entire ship because..idk it just does, but I also put my crate with nonplaceable storage there since there's just so much research.

Sometimes I wonder if I ever get my housing storage figured out perfectly and set up, the game will shut down lol.

Oh, and I have 3-4 guild neighborhoods myself but they're not in use, sadly. Instead, 3 of them have hallsbin the neighborhood my buddy and I share without any other neighbors, and his guild has the 4 the slot. We both left the game for a while at different times since RoF, so he went in his alt guild and I went in annold friend's guild. Before all that we were all guildies- him, I, my current guild leader and numerousbinnit- and everyone else has disappeared. Off track. Housing. Collections. Tradeskill. Organization. There's the map, I just gotta follow it.