Twitch: Why do you guys think I don't see people stream on live everquest servers?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by SwordandShield, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

Not enough Dezy's to go around tbh
  2. Febb Augur

Streaming is like Justin Beiber. At first his music was cute everything but it just gets annoying after a while and he should just stay in Canada.
  3. Triconix Augur

I would argue the opposite. Watching 20 year old content, especially slow paced groups, is the epitome of boring. Classic and Kunark are by far the most overrated eras in all of EQ. There is an obnoxious dichotomy in strength of classes and it shows. Watching the same thing over and over in the typical TLP treadmill is like watching a rerun of Jaws 3D.

Someone who states later content is soulless just hasn't played it. There are plenty of fantastic zones post DODH. TSS is a pretty old expansion by today's standards and has some of the most engaging and beautiful zones ever made. HoT has some incredibly creative and engaging zones. As does VOA, ROF, etc.
    Duder likes this.
  4. KrakenReality Augur

Get over it dude, EQ bores people even though it has better class gameplay. If, there were people like big boss Shaun that engages his viewers it would be better.

You pop into a Live stream and it's someone sitting in a camp, which is boring because I'm already tabbed out because I'm camping something. Also, it's silent and there's viewer engagement.

If you could get someone interesting to stream a raid like Mearatas, it would be cool.
  5. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Bruh. Dude is clicking and doesn't strafe. Live content is just as "easy and boring" as TLP content but live Content is souless and lacks the nostalgia factor.
  6. Protocol Dragon Defender

You can make that arguement all you want but the fact of the matter is according to Twitch metrics most people disagree with you.

I have played later content and I do think it is a soulless.
  7. Xeris Augur

Watching ANYONE PLAY A VIDEO GAME IS BORING? Are you 100 years old or something? Do you know how popular Twitch is? Twitch is a multi billion dollar company built entirely on the concept of people watching other people play video games. There's literally hundreds of millions of people watching streams on Twitch daily.
  8. Parkerx New Member

I used to get up before work 2hrs a day and stream live, did this for a few months. I don't have such a great voice and I'm monotone AF, however I know this and tried to engage every single person in the chat and began to see "regulars" after awhile. Now I work with a fella that has personality oozing out of every pore and he mostly streams 1st person shooters, which are more popular nowadays, but he's already make close to 1k a month doing something he loves, heck when im bored I'll log on just to watch him play it's pure entertainment.

So if you had a huge personality streaming live it's my theory it could work. It's a huge pet peeve to watch an EQ stream and try to engage with the streamer and no response, I mean WTF the max will be about 10 ppl you would think the chat room would be priority 1.
    Bobbybick likes this.
  9. Kobra Augur

You could have the best personality in the world, but there is no way I am watching someone play EQ.

EQ is a fantastic game to play, but its horrible to watch. People like to watch first person shooters because there is a lot of action for the most part. I like to watch starcraft 2 streams because those guys are doing something that very few people can do at a high level (guys like Byun are god like for example).

The closest thing to compelling gameplay to watch in EQ was Zaide's self found challenge, but even that was quite boring to watch and I could only tune in for about 15 minutes before losing interest.
  10. Xeris Augur

I used to get 15-20 viewers on twitch streaming raids during classic on Agnarr. But otherwise ya, very few good streamers on Twitch for EQ, and the game just doesn't appeal to younger people.

I feel like as someone who's 32 I'm on the younger end of the spectrum of EQ players. Considering most of twitch audience skews younger, I can see why EQ viewership isn't super big. You've also got Gramps in this thread saying "nobody wants to watch people play video games" and that seems to sum it up nicely.
    Bobbybick likes this.
  11. FranktheBank Augur

Bobby kinda of touched on it, a lot of streamers of modern eq are not great. I've sat in chats and the streamer is silent for 5+ minutes. Sometimes i will type something and it's a while before I get a reply.

Also, the mechanics are late eq are way more interesting, this is true... but that also takes attention of the streamer. Example - If I streamed our raid progression on Kor-Sha in EoK, There is absolutely no way I could have kept up interaction with chat while I do those first two fights. They are incredibly fun encounters, but there is too much happening for me to keep up with chat.
  12. MMOer Augur

Good points. I rare I see a post and find little flaw.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  13. SOLARAXUS New Member

A lot of your points can be said about WoW. A WoW raid that you know nothing about is just as boring as an EQ raid you know nothing about. Yet Mythic has like 200k viewers when going for world firsts. And WoW is a very old game as well with a playerbase that keeps aging too. So one could expect a live streamer going for game first attempts on a raid boss in EQ to at least pick up 200-300 users, but even the godlike man Thott himself, after running away from EQ to WoW cause GoD was too hard has streamed live EQ ToV raids before and only gotten like 10 viewers. So there has to be something else to this conundrum.

Even Lineage 2 has most streamers and more viewers than EQ and Lineage 2 is old and boring as well.
  14. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

EQs raids have very bad visual feedback for what is happening compared to WoW which is pretty counterproductive to streaming. Where EQs events will give you a warning often in a chatline that even at max settings can be hard to see on a stream, a WoW event will have a visual indicator that something is going to be happening at a location. "Don't stand in the red" is a classic example of wow raids where anyone can hear that and pretty much immediately pick up on what is expected.

Combine that with other UI elements like a always-visible raid frame that shows you the health of the entire raid and scrolling combat text there's just a lot more for a viewer to see. Progression raiding (at least when EQ raids were difficult enough to warrant wipes) specifically will also see a lot more continual action as recovery time for a raid is much shorter in WoW, nobody wants to watch a raid rebuff and wait on cooldowns for an hour inbetween attempts. Mythic Kil'jaeden took 654 attempts before it was beaten, the next expansion would have come out in EQ before you could make that many attempts.
    Xyphen and Bardy McFly like this.
  15. FranktheBank Augur

It's also a terrible comparison because there are very, very few consistent, high tier EQ streamers. Proof of your numbers, Bobbybick was actually above 200 viewers during Fall of an Empire.
  16. Bardy McFly Augur

The players still interested in EQ1 would rather play than watch. This is generally true of the older gaming crowd.

WoW still pulls in a large number of young players because of the graphics engine modernizations, cartoony art direction and instant gratification. Being able to catch up to the general current raiding community in a matter of weeks helps retain them and convert them to long-term stream watchers or streamers themselves.
    code-zero likes this.
  17. Xyphen Maximum Augur

What Bobbybick said. EQ does a very poor job visually conveying drama/excitement, so unless the streamer is doing something notable like a hardcore SSF run, the streams are pretty boring.

If you want to listen to a bunch of old folks (no disrespect) shoot the crap while playing EQ, CM99/Doctor Nachoz does a YouTube livestream every night. It's entertaining if you're new to EQ/not very knowledgeable about the game, but might be a bit too amateurish for veterans/hardcore players (there's only so many times I can hear someone say a group encounter is impossible without 20 Berserkers).

Zaide's SSF stream is entertaining. He's good at engaging his audience and the thrill of potentially watching his character die and lose everything gets progressively more interesting.

Most of the EQ streams I've seen are just some dude sitting in a poorly lit room with a webcam and some hillbilly music playing while he clicks buttons every now and then. Streaming is 99% content and audience engagement and a majority of EQ streamers are simply bad at it.
  18. Truesh0t New Member

Us EQ players are too old and not hip enough to attract and entertain viewers with the regular twitch lingo such as "poggers"
  19. KrakenReality Augur

Even with a new expansion releasing, there are only a few live streams. Those live streams get around 6-9 viewers peak. Every time I check on a stream, they seem to be AFK or not really doing anything. They don’t bother to show a face or anything.
  20. HoodenShuklak Augur

Well you've got to ask yourself how big is the pool of players going after modern eq... then how engaging are they?

Eq had a few interesting streamers like freakeo that interacted well, but by and large the eq streamers simply don't make the viewing an experience, and watching someone grind while they click on 8 different arbitrary hotbars simply will not sell itself to a general audience.