Quests Tracking - Is there a way?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Genjo, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Genjo Lorekeeper

I would like to try to spend the next few months doing every quest possible? Dumb, probably but I want to try. However it is hard to track what has been done (achievements help - but dont track all quests). Is there a way to find out what quests you have done and completed? I was told the quest tracker doesnt include all quests and is limited to a 3 month window???

Can anyone give me advice or tell me how to do this?
    Yinla likes this.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Well, if you have saved logs since you started that char (/em looks around, worried someone will discover my secret!), you may be able to parse for quest completion messages, assuming they have discernible messages with the quest name in them (ashamed to say, after 20 years, I don't know if they do or not).
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

4. Captain Video Augur

It is impossible to do every quest in the game using a single toon. Some quests in old-school content are race- or class-specific; some but not all of those can be done via an illusion, but there will still be quite a few you simply can't. Faction will also frequently come into play. The quest encyclopedia on Zam is a valuable tool if you want a checklist, but even that may omit certain quests for which Zam has never obtained NPC dialogs from anyone.

Three months is a slightly low estimate. I would expect it to take more like 20 years.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The three months mentioned is how long the current quest tracker window keeps track of quests. When I saw that mentioned I checked mine and I don't show any older than Sept this year.

Wonder if it has to do with turning off journal
  6. Captain Video Augur

I was referring to the OP's belief that he could complete all quests in "a few months". :) I think the quest journal scroll-off is based on the # of completed quests it shows, not the dates, but that's just from memory.
  7. Flatchy Court Jester

In a couple months lol. Go finish the Artisans prize in that time frame.
    Tatanka likes this.
  8. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I started making an "EveryQuest" spreadsheet earlier this year for something similar (with less total eras) but ultimately decided against it when I started thinking about all the different Newbie Armor, Twilight Sea Armor, Velious Armor type quests. As others said you are also going to run into issues where certain class/race combos just straight cannot get enough faction to met a minimum requirement for some of the earlier era quests, bard/enc give you the most options.
  9. Genjo Lorekeeper

Thank you for the motivating comments!!! I love the neysayers - I dont understand there might be some quests that are impossible but I am gonna try to do all that are possible. I just need a way to track in the system what I did get done. Come on EQ - provide data access to completed quests. Didnt they say they were moving more data to databases rather than flat files??
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

From TSS onwards you can pretty much track everything either with Heros Journey or the individual expansion quests/missions achievements.

Prior to that the only real way to do it is create your own checklists. Back when I started EQ, when EQAtlas was a thing and before Allahkazam, I printed off a list of all zone quests and did the ones I was able to get.
    Thunderkiks and Elyssanda like this.
  11. Captain Video Augur

The Quest Journal didn't exist in the first several expansions, so there was no tracking of completed quests; instead, the game tracked which flags were set on a character as a result of quest completion, such as those needed to access zones. It would be a major development undertaking to go back and re-do all that logic, and the resources do not exist. For the few who care about such things, there will be information in your character's log file which you can use to maintain your own database or spreadsheet. Or you can rely on Zam, which is a most excellent resource, well worth the $1/mo subscription cost. Converting character data from flat files to a database doesn't matter if the things you want to track weren't in the flat files to begin with.
  12. Genjo Lorekeeper

Thank you for your reply, based on your answer I assume you work for Daybreak. As a Daybreak insider can you share the details of the lacking resources you claim? I work in IT and I would be very curious to have a detailed response on what movement from flat files to DB has been going. It is great to have someone on the inside share some knowledge. While I understand you cant recreate something from nothing, but I do think being able to track character progression seems like a worthwhile work project.
  13. The real Sandaormo Augur

I've done some quest before
    Tatanka and Celephane like this.
  14. Celephane Augur

Just start with Hero's Journey, that's a ton of quests you can already track through achievements. Once you are done with that go back and fill in a bunch of holes from other areas. This will keep you busy for a very long time
  15. Tegila Augur

according to my quest history ive only done 2 quests since 2013, but that's not true. According to Achievements, I didnt kill a single named in 2/3 of RoF's zones...also quite untrue so even teh achievement window seems to lose track of things after a number of years (I know for a fact i was about half done with hunter for each zone except the Heart of Fear) but when cotf launched i stopped playing til mid-RoS and then only for liek 6 weeks til now. I think there's been a few hiccups along the way over the years where pieces of data or chunks of data have been lost, so the only way to know what yo uhave or havent done, for sure, is to write it all down yourself. I have /log files showing a lot of stuff the game's somehow forgotten I did.

come ot think of it, working on 350 skills i've found numerous chunks of recipes i KNOW i've done that are missing. like the entire energeiac line in pottery.
  16. Captain Video Augur

What you need to do is search for the Developer's Quest. There are 10 NPCs scattered in 10 different zones which, when hailed in exactly the right order, with no other contact in between, will flag your character with Developer status. This will give you the power to set your stats to anything, set your inventory to anything, give your character all AAs, spells and/or discs, give yourself any or all achievements, and importantly, see all quest-givers in a particular zone. You can also reconfigure zones and move NPCs from one zone to another at your whim. My personal favorite is to move Kerafyrm to the N Qeynos newbie yard and see how many days it takes for anyone else to notice (on a Live server).

Because of the sheer power it grants, it is arguably the most difficult quest in the game. You have to search out a number of Easter Eggs which offer puzzling clues to help determine who the 10 NPCs are. Once you have the full list, you are on your own to guess the proper order; there are 10! = 3,628,800 possible combinations, so good luck!
    Xyroff-cazic. and Nennius like this.
  17. Gleamz New Member

This still sounds easier than trying to do all of the quests in the game :)
  18. Froglok Augur

Achievements, Quest Window, Quests by Zone on Zam and /note for note keeping.