Veteran trying to play again just for fun

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Eknhomaht, Nov 20, 2020.

1. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Oh, a tank merc will basically PL you. So its a good way to solo level if you're in dead old zones until you're like in your 50s or something like that. A cleric merc will heal you, and are an option if you play a tank/dps class, but will be way slower.
    Eknhomaht likes this.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

OK, lots of posts since my last, too much to address point by point. Just want to address one point:

For XP loss upon death. It's about 10% of a level which is lost. A rez gets back either 90% or 96% of that 10%, so after a rez, you've only lost ~0.4 - 1.0%.

You can always get a rez, since we have cleric mercs. Even if you only use them when a rez is needed, it's still worth it. So there's a guaranteed 90% rez when needed.

The other point worth mentioning. Everyone gets a vet reward (see the AA window "v", look at the specials tab), forget the name, Expedient Recovery maybe? It summons and rezzes, at 100%, all corpses you have in the game. Usable once every 4 or 7 days, I forget.

Don't forget, corpses older than 3 hours poof, so no XP rez from those.
    Eknhomaht likes this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Cleric mercs can rez 96% if its a J5 on the paid account.
    But I use Token of Resurrection from Loyalty merchants - just 86 tokens. And mercs won't rez until battle is over. With tokens I can rez anyone in the group during battle -incoming ranger rez!!!
    Eknhomaht and Tatanka like this.
  4. Eknhomaht Journeyman

Thank you!

I found it. It's once every 164 hours so I think that's 7 days.

Can you still lose your equipment or when your corpse vanishes? Or does your equipment now stay with you?

Yeah I'm that old of a player.

XD Fun fact, I'm the one who got the Bone Thunder Staff changed from a 3 charge use to a proc :D

The rare drop required to get the BTS was a 5% spawn mob and 1% drop off that mob. Typically a 7 day camp. I got the BTS, probably the first person to ever get it on the server, and found out the damned item was charge based, and absolutely useless once the charges were used up - especially since it was a cleric only weapon and we already had the spell that procced.

I complained and the Admin GM - one of the lead devs didn't realize it was that rare of a drop. He tested the drop rate and so he fixed the item to be proc based. XD You had to kill a zombie on an hour or so long timer to get Cubert to spawn in the sewers. He spent a few hours and couldn't get cubert to spawn. Then he looked up the drop rates and spawn rates and on the next patch it was all fixed XD

I honestly believe only a handful of people ever bothered to get the staff on this server. I still think I was the only one outside of GMs who had it for the first two years or so.
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Nice story! I loved the old days of EQ, even though in recent days it's a better game.

They got rid of items on corpses a long time ago, though I can't remember precisely when. Probably around 2003, maybe?
    Eknhomaht likes this.
  6. Eknhomaht Journeyman

Here's another story, apparently this happened before people started recording all the patch notes. At one point Verant played with the idea of Magic Resistance. They actually made it so magic resistance applied to ALL magic.

Let me emphasize this: AT ONE POINT VERANT MADE MAGIC RESISTANCE APPLY TO ALL MAGIC.

Yes.

That included healing.

It went over well.

LOL

To this day I suspect that the ability to resist a healing spell was actually a bug, and Verant tried to say "It's not a bug, it's a feature!" but it happened so quickly, within the space of just a couple weeks, that I don't think it was ever intended.

So when you say it's a better game now, yes, I agree, it would have to be.

Oh nice!

OH some odd question, is it possible to still have OLDER models?

I kinda miss the original models.
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I think it is. I remember some screen you could call up during the login process, to checkmark which old models you wanted. This was YEARS ago. 2002-ish. I think you still can use them, but I have no idea how to accomplish that. Pretty sure that screen I remember has been gone for a long time.
    Eknhomaht likes this.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Eknhomaht likes this.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Wow, yeah, that's the screen I remember. Didn't realize it was still there.

TY, CP!
    Eknhomaht likes this.
  10. Eknhomaht Journeyman

Thank you!:D

There is something funny though, he says the Vah Shir models were the same before and after luclin.

;) silly guy. They were vastly different, it was a mini controversy.

The Vah Shir on the planet were actually short little cat person models.

I love them.

The Vah Shir giant tiger people on the moon were ALWAYS big and ALWAYS huge. There was no playable Vah Shir race before Luclin ;)

I was one of the signers asking for an option to play as the original cat people models, but oh well. They never allowed it.

What I believe he is talking about is the low poly Vah Shir models that were released in Luclin so people who were using Windows 98 machines could still play EverQuest with Luclin's release.

Hrm, I just noticed something, I don't have my monk. I think I deleted him to make my Cat person though. We were limited to 7 characters back then. He was not fun to play.

God these models bring back memories.

edit: OMG NOBODY IS CAMPING HADDEN?! NOBODY!? REALLY?!

Times sure have changed.

Time to die, Hadden.