[Question] How to report AFK XP'ing

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Windance, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Nennius Curmudgeon

Quite possibly. But I have done things that didn't seem smart before. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't. But, if I do ever buy Daybreak the halflings are in trouble. We dwarves are hungry.

On a more serious note, I have tried to guess as to Daybreak's value. Would $30 million be enough? I am a slacker when it comes to net worth but some of my friends are not.
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

Thats fine. But if I ask if I can share the camp and you dont answer, dont get all crotchety if I start killing stuff. If you dont want me there just say so and Ill go somewhere else.
    Celephane, Duder and Nennius like this.
  3. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I have no idea on how to value a business but I love numbers, so here's my take on it lol.I did some quick research and it lead me to what I was originally thinking anyways, which is to base it on revenue. For this crude method we can assume the business is worth about 1-2x the yearly revenue. Again, this is based on like 5-10 mins research, so someone better at this can correct me if I'm wrong lol.

Based on Googling EQ's population which results in 908,934, we can assume the monthly revenue from subscriptions. Let's say 75% of the population has an active subscription, that's 681,700 subs per month. Add in the cost per month at $10 a month on yearly subscription and you get 6.8 mil per month or 81.8 Million per year. That's not counting any DBC sales or the loss of revenue from the lifetime subs. But as a rough estimate I would probably put it closer to 100-150 Mil, 30 Mil seems too low.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  4. kimbotta Lorekeeper

Lol if you think that many people play eq consistently you're crazy. It might be 10% of that. MAEBY!
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

There's also: I always solo or two box, so I'm literally never looking at the chat window for tells. Wouldn't even know I was getting tells unless I accidentally see it. And no audio triggers to let me know I got a tell.
  6. Zynt Augur

I actually logged in and did the stupid captcha for this. There might be 15k paid (subs not krono) accounts playing and most of those are on TLPs which consistently fall off as those TLPs progress past PoP and then rise again when a new one is released.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Both subs and Krono are paying, one way or another.

As far as 15k paid subs.......There were 10,000 life time subs sold a few years ago. I am sure that 5000 more are paying monthly, yearly or however.

TlP is a large amount but there are many of us on Live also. The game is supporting both so one is not better than the other.
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I reported what appeared to be an AFK bot group and took a video and uploaded it, and linked it to my petition. Within 30 minutes the group was removed from game mid-fight.

So, DPG is definitely acting on /petitions.
  9. Zynt Augur

The lifetime sub money is long gone. Collected and spent years ago. Krono sales, sure, but I suppose that most of the krono in circulation have been around for years as well. That money has been collected and spent as well. I'm not saying that a lot of krono aren't still being purchased. My numbers, which I 100% admit are supposition, are in reference to actually monthly paying subs.
  10. Tegila Augur

If I were rich enough(we had this discussion in General a couple weeks ago, settling on a fair price for the EQ franchise specifically) I'd start with hiring more devs and paying them competitive with bigger newer games. Start advertising. Split the hardware of the servers back up to improve performance. Make more servers to staisfy all the special-interest groups(maybe even a Live truebox, even though I am not of the opinion boxing is bad), Make it so anyone that pays a monthly subscription at full price($15 a month, not the reduced 3, 6, and 12 month prices) for an entire year straight can then purchase a lifetime membership (not just a once in a lifetime deal) as well as other subscription deals like the old $99 a year one. I'd create a lifetime DLC package, with multiple tiers, to prepay for any and all expansions for the life of the game as a standard, collectors, or ultimate edition of some sort. I'd hope more GMs that are unbiased, but attentive. I'd take input from the community but it would never be a mob rules thing- like polls about future expansions etc. If a player's idea for an expansion we're ever chosen as the basis for an actual expansion, they'd get one of the 2 lifetime packages awarded to them of their choice. I would do whatever I could to keep the game at least in the black for as long as possible, but not overly concerned with profit because that wouldn't be the point, for me, but instead to grow the player base and improve conditions and relations for years to come. If it became a cash cow then great, bit so long as it wasn't a revenue blackhole, then so be it. If it could be turned around with advertising and QOL improvements, customer relations etc, enough, then maybe a new game could be made that combines new engines, modern graphics, and all the classic favorite aspects of both EQ and EQ2, for a new generation. There are a lot of things that could be done, but to do them to start with, profitability has to be put on the back burner and investments and improvements made out of love for the game rather than a desperate play for money.
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Though I favor the ideas you present, Darkpaw Games is not some backwater group of ragtag game designers. They are professionals. Darkpaw Games (and Daybreak Games) are companies who are in it to make money. That's what a business is about. Sure, for some of the employees it's a passion project for which they earn a wage. But that doesn't absolve them of their responsibility to make money and answer to the owner when they miss the mark.

Your ideas are presented from the customer's perspective. In this manner, I could talk about my favorite restaurant and how I wish they would do this or do that. Give me a better deal so I can tell my friends about it. I haven't seen their books or been in their meetings. I don't know what critical issues they face or how their kitchen is run. Which employees are slacking and which ones are performing. I just know I love their food and their service and I want to see them succeed.

I get what you're saying, but what you ask for is already partially done. They've moved servers, they've upgraded databases, they've run specials on their product, and they're still producing expansions. But each of these points (among countless others) has a resource cost associated with it. The pie is only so big. Picking and choosing which ideas and teams get a slice of the pie is up to the leaders, and they aren't going to share their trials and tribulations with their customers.

Just be happy enough that EverQuest is still here, still cranking out expansions, and has some things on the horizon. :)
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Tarvas like this.
  12. Fuzzlump New Member

I just petitioned an AFK/Automated group and included a link to a live twitch stream; 12 minutes later they popped out of the world without appearing to cast gate or sitting to camp, and that same minute I got a response on my petition saying the usual 'can't talk about other players account actions' spiel.

They are on top of it.
    Bigstomp likes this.
  13. code-zero Augur

logged on to what? You've made a statement but provided no direct path to be checked.
  14. KrakenReality Augur

This is why you don’t just pull random search results off of Google. It got posted another forum a couple years ago, EQ1 brought in around $40 million of revenue in 2015 quoted from Elidroth.

https://www.firesofheaven.org/threads/soe-becomes-daybreak-russian-shutdown.989/post-2431789
  15. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

10,000 lifetime subs sold, I doubt more than 30-40 were sold in RoI, for example. There are a LOT more casual paying people that you are giving this game credit for.

To clarity, I'm not saying I agree with that guy's estimate (that is insane).

I mean, this game PEAKED at 550k subscriptions, it is no where near that. But its WAY more than TLP players. Its likely in the 25-40k sub range..
  16. Bigstomp Augur

Can you breakdown how you setup to do this and steps you took?
    I would love to get some more of these cheaters poofed.

(I'm entirely clueless about twitch at the moment)
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Duder like this.
  17. Windance Augur

For the first time ever I reported two players for AFK XP'ing. They were obviously using a script and didn't respond to tells, ooc, or me hanging around them watching what they were doing. These folks happen to be in the same spot for days on end. I'd log in several times a day just to see if they were still there. Week+ nearly 24/7.

In the petition I put as much detail as I could about how/when I saw the players, what clues would show they are automated, etc.

I went back to the zone the next day to see if they were still there and for the first time in a week they were gone, looked at the petition and it was closed about 45 min later I opened the ticket.

I would assume they were suspended. Will see if they pop back up next weekend.

I suspect it doesn't matter if they are running scripted stuff, its about them proving/disproving that they are AFK.
  18. Leigo You come here often?

as far as lifetime sub goes. i got 1 on my main acc then shifted my sub to my old silver acc going from 3 to 4 gold accounts
  19. Tegila Augur

tahts the entire point. if i won the lotto and could buy the EQ franchise, i wouldnt be doing it to make money (it may be possible, but it woudlnt be MY point) it would be the love of the game. Likea a multimillionnaire opening a backwoods ribs join in east tennessee where he grew up, etc etc. Some of these things though...I jsut dont get why they havent done them..in forever. As in: advertising. I once saw an ad for eq on the botto mof some crap youtube video, but thats the only time i've ever seen one. Even when I started playing back in TSS, I had never even HEARD of the game (wasnt into such things in the very early years of EQ so I woudlnt have paid attention, and only found out then bc my boyfriend played) but trust me, I knew about WoW before I started playing EQ. People might've laughed about the Mr. T commercial and such...but people KNOW about WoW. most people i talk to, people that used to PLAY eq...are like..it's still running? If people that like the game don't even knwo it still exists, how are people that have never heard of it supposed to find out? The fewer people know a game exists, the fewer are going ot play it. There's too much attrition and not enough new blood, has been for as long as I've played, all because no advertising whatsoever, for at least the last 2/3rds of the game's life. SoF was the last expac to have a physical disc, the last obvious visible presence on the shelves of a game sectio nat walmart or a gaming store etc, and the SOE game cards were probably the last to depict even 1 character from teh game anywehre in public. That is not how a business makes money.
  20. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

I don't answer camp checks because I scouted the location myself, as everyone is supposed to. It's not my job to let each new arrival know what is camped and what isn't. If you're standing in my camp while I'm actively killing, you're the jerk and I will absolutely send tells. If you try to move in on me, I'll log out right after assisting your puller with 10 or 15 extra adds.

And I'll be in the right the whole time. Mind your business and find your own camp.