Monks Strats, 2.0

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Thrillho, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Chasassis New Member

I didn't say needed.

They're still a pulling class. And no, I'm not on TLP. Awful, awful guess.
    Yes.

I didn't say it wasn't. In fact, I made that very clear in my post.

Literally said this, yes.
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Monk's role in Live is DPS and speed bump for squishies. That's it.
    HeatherPurrs likes this.
  3. Chasassis New Member

If you can't emergency tank, I don't think you know how to Monk.

And I'm expected to pull in groups often as a Monk. Is it easier, if the tank is good enough or well geared enough (preferably both) to just run around, or swarm pull? Definitely.
    feeltheburn likes this.
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Expected to pull? Shameful! People don't realize what it costs to be a Monk......

Emergency tank? Lol.
    HeatherPurrs likes this.
  5. Chasassis New Member

I don't like pulling, but I don't know what your point is other than that
    If the tank dies, Monk is 99.999% of the time next on the aggro list, and expected to step up for the rez to hit and the tank to get back in there.

pop an Earthforce or a Shaded Steps and that wipe won't happen.

The kind of annoying thing about the modern game is that a lapse of attention will have you missing that button press, which I've done, I'm not perfect, but I've saved a lot of groups and, as I've said, at least half of a raid (and tooting my own horn, an entire raid reset or three) by being on the ball with that.
    Quatr and Heajol like this.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Please excuse my satire.

Of course Monks *can* tank. So can many other classes. My lol about Monk emergency tanks is that due to the aggro Monks can generate, Monks often wind up tanking if the tank misses a button press.
    feeltheburn likes this.
  7. Heajol Augur

I'm going to link to this thread for my guild's monks and monk alts etc. I have followed the advice here and gone from level 105 six months ago to 115 with a full set of raid gear (not BiS but still good enough). I am competitive on raids (especially since I haven't raided new content in 12 years). And this thread has helped make that all possible!

/bump for new monks!
    Thrillho likes this.
  8. HeatherPurrs Augur

Monks have no taunt. One heal from the cleric or one mez by the enchanter and the Monk WILL lose agro and wipe city. Please, don't tell Monks they can tank.
    Ezbro likes this.
  9. Szilent Augur

Monks have no direct hate ability, but y'all generate plenty of natural agro in the course of play. It is not the case that monks lose agro to healers or mezzers, that's nonsense. There is no great utility with which to *take* agro from others, but there's no losing it casually.
  10. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I agree, but I think we all just need to come up with a good phrase for tanking without 'at will' agro control. The clashes about monks being able to 'tank' tend to be with how the people define tanking. Some players tend to define tanking as simply being the primary person that the mob focuses their attacks on. Others, and the Devs tend to fall into this group, tend to refer to tanking as the act of being the primary target of the mob's attacks, being able to keep the agro so that the mob does not start attacking others, and being capable of reclaiming that agro quickly and reliably when it is lost. The Devs do somewhat differentiate between with terms like Tank and Light Tank, but the qualifiers for the latter term are inconsistent, and the inclusion of tank in its name causes confusion for some still. For a time the community used the term meatshield, but that ended up getting used just as much to refer to full on tanks just as much, so it lost a lot of its meaning of someone just taking hits and not actively keeping the mobs attention.
    Quatr likes this.
  11. Szilent Augur

It's just verb versus noun. "We got all the Great Divide Partisan tasks done last night with a monk tanking, it was a hoot." versus "oh I don't think we should do the Kael hero mission without a tank." Silly English language.

(also I have guild mates that have totally done Kael mission using monk for tanking. but the example is a fine one for most folks.)
  12. feeltheburn Augur

what ya'll carrying on your spam/mash bar now adays
  13. Lisard Silly

1. a social with /attack on + /disc Vigorous Shuriken Rk. III
    2. Intimidation
    3. Drunken Monkey Style
    4. Barrage of fists
    5. icewalkers synergy
    6. Flying Kick
    7. Tiger Claw
    8. Zlexaks fang
    9. doomwalkers precision
    10. firewalkers precision
    11. icewalkers precision
    12. Curse of the 15
    Quatr and feeltheburn like this.
  14. Ezbro Elder

Why do you have Flying Kick and Tiger Claw there? Aren't they autoattacked now?
  15. Lisard Silly

i keep them in my spam bar. i also included them in that post for posterity
  16. Ezbro Elder

Yes but you are not saying why?
  17. Riou EQResource

There can be situations where you want to use the other Strikes or Kicks, for most it is perfectly fine to have it just auto skilled and rely on the standard best ones
    Lisard likes this.
  18. Ezbro Elder

Agreed, so I have them on a different bar ;)
  19. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Aggro Trap
    Temp Tank
    Squish Saver
    Pain Magnet
    Collapsible Companion

IDK, but I like the idea of Monks having a nickname that is unique to their tanking style.
  20. feeltheburn Augur

umm your wrong and not doing it right , but I will consider the source. Generated aggro can and will hold more often then not...and 5pp is a wonderful tool for "taunt" in case you have been living under a rock. Again....I will consider the source here. Monks can get the job done in a crisis situation..depending what world definition of tanking you are using here. Tank an entire fight? no, not raid mob anyway, but in a pinch? Do just fine. Again..you are misinformed or do not know the class.
    Sunawar likes this.