No More Kunark or Velious remakes ever again PLEASE

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Elyssanda, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Vlad Diszno Augur

Reading posts on my phone and man did I misread the part right after ‘maybe coldain as a race’!
    That would be for a different kind of game. Did make me wonder if there was such a category.

Move along! Nothing to see here! I’ll just continue sweeping my mind out of gutter.
  2. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I finished moonslayer on my ranger and had fun. Could only imagine the nightmare on hollowshade moore (on remake although that zone took me a longtime to complete) to do hunters though with race wars and such but would be a blast!

Andarriel
    Elyssanda likes this.
  3. jeskola pheerie

Any return to Luclin needs bazaar 3.0
    Skuz and Elyssanda like this.
  4. Xerzist Augur

I did P99 before live for a couple years. Imagine doing classic EQ up until Velious... only to come back to Velious ...

It burns.
  5. Szilent Augur

That's a legit reason for being, I'm on board with a Luclin expansion now.
  6. Ecidew Journeyman

Just bought new EXP for 3 toons, did not buy last one .. Pop me Wiz, Chanty and Wife’s Cleric, Were in a Defunct Raid Guild … But there is a Stone to ToV .. Started killing miners ?, spiders and orcs everything yellow or Red .. After 3+ hours EXP bar move 2% with 100% EXP .. Granted no EXP potions not a full group ect. but it still works out to over 700 hours to get from 110 to 115 with TBL raid gear .. I am sure I can get that down to 200 hours but still with nothing but weekends to play that is 10-12 weeks of mindless grind .. Starting to remember why I didn’t buy last expansion ..

Oh and look at: http://elitegamerslounge.com/home/progress/index.php?expansion=TOVOverall
    Just about every raid guild smashed ToV in 4-5 months ..

The Problem is not content !! .. Its mindless grinding with little challenge !!!

I would Raid Mines of Gloomingdeep .. If it was challenging and didn’t take 3 months of Grinding to do it !!!!

Anyone interested in a disgruntled out of date Raid Wiz with only weekends to play ? Have Cleric, willing to travel .. Ecidew: https://eq.magelo.com/profile/3872359 .. Mournful sounds of crickets ..

Guess I will start the forth set of toons on a TLP server ..
  7. Tegila Augur

the problem is youre NOT doing the content, youre trying to mindlessly grind. Stop.

do progression, youll be 115 in 2 days
    Skuz, Nolrog and Metanis like this.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Your kill rate must be horrid to only get 2% after 3 hours.....or is there a some exageration going on there? :rolleyes:
  9. DefectorToN New Member

I vote an entire expansion dedicated to plane of mischief and Bristlebane. Have Bristlebane invade classic EQ dungeons and make them all wacky, humorous, tricky, and new.
    Nolrog and Elyssanda like this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Sounds more like an April Fool's event, an expansion of just that would be....crap.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

My guess as to a better solution is join an active guild & get some help to do the progression, unless it's super-easy to 3 box in which case do that. ToV hit the "Mob-Grind for level XP" approach in the face with a supersonic sledgehammer and "decent" levelling is only found by doing the progression missions, aka Partisan tasks & Hero missions the "good news" is that's how expansions are going to be moving forward too.
  12. Hegsheoshed Augur

It would have to be more like Seeds of Destruction then. Go back to an earlier era. Invade Discord and stop the invasion of Kuaa. See Kuaa in it's Glory. Add a new Void to the list of Voids. Have Akhevan's involved just because we do indeed need more Akhevans.
  13. Hegsheoshed Augur

Unkempt Woods...
  14. Tegila Augur

They could even skip doing zones altogether for one, and reuse existing lore and whatnot....via the same SoD idea:
    Remember how you go through time to get to the void. Now, new expansion you go into Time the same way as in SoD, then there's an NPC of some sort gives you some convoluted loreabout time travel, and gives you a mission. That mission is in o e of 3 zones from Original EQ(like in LDONS, this would be eandom and varied which of 3 said zones it occurs in) Now, same NOC ports you into I started ced version of the song e to do your mission. Once you complete said mission, you may request an instanced version of that zone forevermore with no lockouts(not a mission so would be no completion TO lockout, then you kill level-appropriate mobs for new drops etc etc within said original eq zone) Also unlocked by this mission is access to a mission in one of 3 zones in the first expansion, following same progression of 3 possible zones/mission to I stance for each expansion, and tuning the existing move in the zone to current content(kinda like they did with old raids in Dragons Dragons, Dragons etc)
    This progression continues for each and every expansion, at least to SoD, though perhaps all 27. One mission unlocks 1 zone to freely hunt in in instancing, or maybe it unlocks all 3 zones for the given expansion. Either way, to encourage grouping and sharing, anyone with the expansion, with or without having completed the entrance mission for that particular zone, now can be taskadded to enter the instance and group, or loot rot, or whatever.
    This would also allow for revisiting of old raids. Perhaps every 3 expansions in this manner opens up a raid event.
    Now, progression would thus lock raid events and initial entry, but it wouldn't block players that are behind from getting groups bc they could join those that already did it(bit they couldn't request the free instance until they beat said entry mission)
    Now, there's all sorts of lore that can be tied in here: time paradoxes, trying to undo,bor redo, SoDs void events or some new threat eyc.
    The content could be tuned according to level fairly easily, allowing for it to be a newbie AND vet expansion. Mobs are already tuned to lowbies as originally released. Have a level range for each instance, similar to LDONs etc, where the initial player spawning the zone and his/her group(don't require more than 1 to spawn the instance though, or find some way to make it accessible without a group) their level or avg level now makes the zone mobs within a certain level range, maybe even allow to choose easy, normal, or hard, with easy being 5 levels below and hard being 3-5 lvls above them, and make minimum level to enter said zone say 15 above or below the initiating party, unless they're maxed, then up to 30 levels below(make the range 30 levels for all zones 60+, just like xp gains in groups, centering the range on the requested and offsetting it down based on how many levels above them are still available) Example: level cap is 120 in said expac. Jo Schmo lvl 100 gets an instance, and levels 85-115 can now enter. Jolene Schmo is level 118, she can have levels 90-120 join her in the zone. Don't need mobs to be tuned to each level, just in 5level increments using existing home/abilities for existing levels and adding new to the top. For example: a zone spawned to have level 85 mobs in it would be like Toskirakk to Feerott difficulty, a zone spawned for level 100(normal) would be say Beasts domainish. The easy puts it in the 5 level below range, normal are avg white cons, and hard all yellow and red.
    Where to go from there or exactly what to do with all this, idk, but the entire focus of creating the expansion would be on the actual content(missions), tuning for all levels, new aas of course and spells, and the graphics Dept can work on what they've been working on for all these other rehashed expacs. Don't need to have a 5th EW, just instanced version if choose that zone. Best bet IMO, would be to choose smaller, more dense zones due to the nature of the instances, and then add some creative stuff. Maybe new housing goodies, a revisit of player studio(there were some talented participants in the past) new bag, bank, storage systems, some other new aspects to the game that would be universal- like a baz revamp someone brought up, etc. Anything relating to any zone or expansion in the game, would be available for ideas.

Note: the freely instanced zones should NOT have a cap on players like in missions, except as is handleable by the server, be it 20 or 50 or whatever. This would decrease the need for everyone to do a mission to play the expansion at first, facilitate sharing and hi Dee griefing(the"owner" of the zone could kick griefers immediately without cause) it would also decrease the number of instanced zones at one time. Similar to /pick in practice but with more community input. Say you want to play in so and so camp of a zone, but you don't have the missions done, you can ask in General if anyone has that zone open and isn't using that camp. Or, you can open a zone up to do that camp and advertise the zone e as open except the camp you choose. This again allows for more direct community sharing AND ability to play within the player base you like(your guild, buddies, random whoever's as long as they don't do what you dislike. If you want trains to be ok, then don't kick ppl that train. Of you want a hard and fast camp rule, then you enforce it. Etc)
    Also, vendors for the expac could be in Time, and/or the freely instanced zones. There would be no ports added obviously, but maybe something else for wiz/Dru along those lines like new ports to old expansion zones that previously required more running after said port, or other new transportation ideas that I don't have, like ability for Dru/wiz to summon an item that is temporary/no storage, tradeables, and will port the clicker to the Dru/wiz portin already existing for each of, or a select number of, existing port spells. A Dru could summon a clickie item to give someone that wants to go to NKarana for example so that they can leave and return once during same game session(temporary flag) without needing a second druid zephyr to it.Or a single use cluck that opens a portal to pok, and when they click the summoned item a second time, it returns them to the place initially clicked at, like secondary bind but temporary (similar to town scrolls in Fate or Torchlight for example, but the portal would be invisible and a spellcast rather than something that exists in the world)
  15. Nolrog Augur

You have been slain by a wall of text.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I read the first 2 lines and gave up.
    Fian and Celephane like this.
  17. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Hmm, making every single zone in EQ into a scalable HA with room for several groups and justifying the lore with "time-travel", sounds like something that would be easy, IF Everquest wasn't written with spaghetti-code from the early nineties...:p
    That said, I would still prefer to visit someplace new. :)
  18. Act of Valor The Newest Member

It would NEED an arena like the first one did. That was such a special place.
    jeskola likes this.
  19. Tegila Augur

your loss not mine. some really..interesting spelling issues though typing on phone as i did lol.
  20. Tegila Augur

i mean they could copy and paste old zones for the instances like theyve been doing (spaghetti coding doesnt see mto hurt THAT part) and we know they can change xp rates for individual zones, shouldnt be difficult to increase or decrease the HME of all the mobs in a zone by this or that factor based on level request, and add this or that many abilities as needed. the bigger difficulty would be in deciding whether or not to fix the stuff thats always been broken in some of these zones, like pathing, or just choose zones that would be easier to deal with for this...why i said a set number per expansion.

the whole thing could be released quarterly for a couple years even if they wanted togo that far, with smaller chunks of development needed at a time and spread out rather than a big laundry list of to-dos and ppl getting bored in 6 months. it would be a longterm path/plan for "new" content without having to actually come up with new content, they could even bastardize their own missions as they wanted, just retune and add new gear/aa/spells for the topend.

could even make a way to make them work SIMILAR (but not the same) way to OMM (NO MONSTAR MISSIONS!) wehre you could shroud down YOUR class/race to a set level in standard gear, so yo uca ngroup with a returning friend or something. In such a deal all your xp gets banked and transferrable to aas or reg xp when you "unshroud" This would only work in a downward direction of course, no upshrouding. Youd still be playing the character youve developed and set up, but with this % of HME removed, yoru spells virtually rolled back to the level youre shrouding as, and any aas not available get grayed out (or otherwise rolled back to the rank of the level)

theres so much that could be done and it wouldnt need to be done all at once. could do the first say 10 expansions then 4-6 months later add in teh level-shrouding ability then 4-6 months later start adding antoher 5-6 expansions every few months or so. take a break from that now and then to add new features for the entire game..like the baz revamp or other things not specifically aimed at xp and/or power, like the whole housing system.

Going a path like this would free the devs to work on as many or few ideas as they want, without needing some big cohesive plan like for a new expac, just need some sort of lore to explain teh timetravel or wahtever