Forum or website integration suggestion:chat

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tegila, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Tegila Augur

Everytime I go to have a cigarette or cool off bc our second floor is too hot, I wish I could somehow continue chatting ingame, even if it we're just in tell, fs, or guild,..or general channel. Just how difficult would it be to somehow integrate that into forums (would then be able to use the system for all games) or the direct eq site? Require all access accounts bc of spam, require to choose 1 single character that actually exists on the account(no random names or forum names unless they match) and don't allow changing said default chattoon but maybe every 3 or 6 month to cut back on harassment, spam, baz advertising etc. Idk which would be preferable, the main general chat for a given server, the guild or fellowship of chosen character, or only direct tells, but any would be great I think.

Also, a nonchat suggestion that is NOT mine but mentioned to me earlier ingame: a hybrid tab of sorts for collectibles, that would both give a check for collected items AND allow for easier search, storage, and retrieval of extras. We don't have many collectibles bags ingame now, but hundreds or more collectibles. There's no good way to search for them in the bazaar except by individual name(need more filters than just collectible, maybe add an expansion source filter) and for the many of us storing in housing to share with friends, the combination of tradeables not autostacking unless you withdraw existing stack first(if diff owners) and the extra clicking to see if you have each one already...well it's not ideal.
  2. Celephane Augur

just quit smoking
    Corwyhn Lionheart, Skuz and Zaray like this.
  3. Nadisia Augur

With the average forum speed these days, and about the same for ingame cat channels, a chat integration would probably look like the mail delivery during the 18th century : 15 days at best, sometimes 1 month ... or never. :p
    Elyssanda and Skuz like this.
  4. Zanarnar Augur

Remember when you could log into EQ with an IRC client and chat? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
    Nennius and Nadisia like this.
  5. Nadisia Augur

Yeah, and there was also a small app, I don't remember its name.
    It was maybe the old eqlauncher, around PoP Era ?
    But you're right, there were ways to connect to the chat without launching the game.

Oh, it reminds me : does anyone remember the service, I guess it was built around IRC too, where you could send a serverwide message, and get the item link back in return?

something like : ;t eqitems hero bracer (maybe with quotes, or brackets ?) , and get the real clickable link from the reply.

It's old, I don't remember the exact syntax, and its name. :(
  6. Zanarnar Augur

Something like this, is what your after I think.

https://articles.eqresource.com/createfakelinks.php
  7. Nadisia Augur

No no, it wasn't the fake link trick.
    It was a real service, provided by the community, and not SoE, with a real database behind (not 100% complete, but with most of the important items, at least the gear, weapons, etc), and the calls were made by using serverwide tells.
  8. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

I remember EQIM, that was great.
    Nadisia likes this.
  9. Nadisia Augur

Yeah Rasper, EQIM, that's it !!!
    (EQ Instant Messenger). It was really handy.

*Pretty sure I have a copy of this app on one of my old and archaic hard disk hehe*

The golden age of the small messaging apps : EQIM, MSN, ICQ :p

... and WinAmp to listen our MP3 music btw ;)
  10. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

And then Trillian, which connected them ALL into one.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

While they are having such issues with the chat servers I can't see anything like this happening. We can't even have serverwide chats anymore. :rolleyes:
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

There's an official EQ Discord.

Forum is fine as is, could be faster is all.
  13. Nadisia Augur

Are you talking about the only Discord on earth with an annoying validation process ? :p