Confirmed Billionaire Bug

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Brune, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Brune New Member

If you make the mistake of accumulating over 1,000,000,000 plats on a character, any time you try to access the plats to trade to another character, it results in an automatic disconnect from the server. Thus you can't access your plats :(
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

Reminds me of a line from Robin Williams. Something like, "(It) is God's way of telling you you're making too much money". If you can find a way to access it I can promise to store it for you. For an obscene fee of course. :)
    minimind and AB_H'Sishi like this.
  3. Hegsheoshed Augur

I thought that was coke or something else that was destructive as proof you had to much money?
  4. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Yes. For now you are stuck :/
    You can free yourself by buying a Noble which will bring you under the 1b limit. (it is an actual game limit)
    Nennius and OldCa61 like this.
  5. AB_H'Sishi Augur

The problem is the smaller coins are also counted into your cash. From my understanding you aren't "just" a billionaire by Platin Pieces, you're a Trillionaire by copper pieces.

My understanding of coding is that high value causes an overflow of one of the variables storing or handling the coins. My guess is one of the variables is of a 32Bit type (e.g. "DWORD", a commonly used type) but that one won't reach 1 Billion PP (its limit would be approx. 4.294 million PP or the half amount if the first bit is for a negative sign).

Until the coding is changed drastically (changing all cash-related variables' types e.g. to "QWORD") you're stuck to Ngreth's solution (buy expensive stuff until you're in the "safe" area again) and then distribute your cash across your chars to keep the individual character's cash below the critical amount.
  6. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Don't listen to them, go for 10b and see if you can corrupt your character file.
  7. Zanarnar Augur

Thing is, this one likely isn't an int32 limit. Its 1b plat not 2.1b

In some cases, they store the currency as copper, in those cases 2 mil (or so) plat is the cap (you see this in the bazaar)

Here I think its just a hard-coded limit they never thought would be reached by a single character. I'm guessing its something they can fix easily, it just takes a patch. (I'm also guessing the best they will do is double it to 2b, as much higher would require changing it to an unsigned INT32 or to an INT64 and the latter has performance impacts in a 32-bit program.)
    Andarriel likes this.