Legal onLive? VMWare and multi-seat systems

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tegila, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Tegila Augur

Like these: https://www.geckoandfly.com/23654/virtual-desktop-software-multiple-users/

Are these systems likely to get you banned like using a VPN does on truebox TLPs? Or do they not care either way with live? I'm just looking into better options for the way I prefer to play(individual kybd, mouse, and screens per account), than maintaining quite so many well-functioning machines for eq.

The talk of vpns getting ppl banned makes me leary of this idea,but if it's not a danger, it's very appetizing as my systems run from a top-end gaming machine down to barely functional 15yrold rebuild from PC graveyard scraps.
  2. Captain Video Augur

Live servers are not Truebox. You can still potentially get into trouble if you program automated play, but you can run multiple clients on a single PC without any issue.
  3. Tegila Augur

That's not my question. Does DBG check your game traffic for multiple ip etc to sniff out hackers, and if so or is anything else they might do for that reason be a liability in using one of these programs? I mean, one would think it would seem suspicious if 1 acct sent packets from multiple IPs during the same session in the absence of a VPN, and I haven't seen anyone specifically say that those on vpns that have been suspended we're strictly on truebox or not. I don't use 3rd party anything (I should be using gamparse but Im not atm, that just reads a log though, doesn't interact with the game) but I don't want to risk any of my accounts because of something I don't know about their anti-hacking efforts that may flag me if I use one of these programs above. For that reason I'm not even thinking about VMware, but leaning toward ibik aster or thinsoft betwin. I haven't used these systems before so idk anything about them, nor have I ever had reason to care what methods the game has in place against hackers(obviously, they don't stop it all, but they have stopped previous software and those measures are still in place)

In short: I am not asking if I can box lmao, that would just be silly. I'm asking if THESE SYSTEMS (if you know nothing about multiheading, don't answer the question)might somehow flag me for something because they are NOT normal boxing, but multiheading single computers, as in making 1 computer act like many. For all I know, the automation programs might use very similar coding

sidenote: reason im asking is that too many get banned erroneously and have no recourse. my ex's SHAMAN got banned many many years ago for a hack only usable by monks and SKs...he got the acct back, years later, but they were lifting bans on real hackers at that point, it had nothing to do with reevaluating the ban itself. Too many people have gotten bans for using VPNs and doing absolutely nohting wrong too. These scenarios tell me that the game has too wide of umbrellas in its antihacking systems and I do not want to get caught up in such an umbrella bc i dont know how the software im looking at works exactly.
  4. Captain Video Augur

There is logic to do this, or at least attempt to do this, in the Truebox code, but that code doesn't run on Live servers. You should be able to run VMWare or a similar product and use different IP addresses for each client if you desire, without issue. Personally I don't mess with this, I am fine with using the old-school alt-Tab method when boxing, but then I'm not boxing raid event content, either.

The thing they [theoretically] care about is automation and fully unattended gameplay. Do they have other secret monitoring tools for that purpose? I dunno, it's a secret. The unmentionable programs that support automation and use memory hacks are bannable. Multitasking on a single PC and having each client (on a Live server) use a different IP address is not.
    Andarriel likes this.
  5. xxGriff Augur

I think ur splitting hairs. VM are not allowed. Not simply VMware. Virtual machines and virtual desktops. Asking here and arbitration of your arguments will ultimately be of.little usefulness. Sub a ticket to get full clarification from DBG. Otherwise it is only an intellectual exercise in rationalization. Ask DBG/DPG. U might try asking via discord official EQ channels. U may receive a definite answer in shorter time. The case against a VM or Virtual desktop is they facilitate and enable 3rd party and unattended play. Not that they allow or provide it in and of itself. Ask DBG's provide your scenario...
    code-zero likes this.
  6. Smokezz The Bane Crew

A VPN isn't getting anyone banned...
    Svann2 likes this.
  7. Tegila Augur

Think I'll just upgrade the machines or rebuild. The software I'm most interested in is $100 for the number of heads I need, and I can get new 6gbps hdds for $15, have plenty of ram, and apparently 3 760s I can upgrade vid cards with. I'd have to add vid cards to run 4 screens off myachine anyway. I am still curious how the different types of multi-seat systems work, and if some are more likely than others to draw attention, but it seems to be too much investigating for the timeframe I'm looking at. Thanks though.
  8. AB_H'Sishi Augur

If you ask DBG / DPG about virtualizing software, please post their respond here. Would be nice to know what is allowed and what not.

Yes, they once installed an Anti-VM policy because cheating software running on the host PC modifies the data stream from client to server, "allowing" characters to warp around (even across zones) and fully unattented gameplay (e.g. excessive and greedy hunting) because the data coming from the server includes information when a named spawns and where. But having a lot of seem-to-be-bots groups in the past months made me doubt they still force that policy.
  9. code-zero Augur

a VPN won't get you banned but a VM will
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

There is 100% no reason to run a VM. EQ runs on a potato computer and dial up connection. Would like to see EQ offered on Google Stadia or NVIDIA GeForce Now though
    henry0918 likes this.
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

Well, multiseat systems would save energy consumption which is more environmentally friendly, and not having a second PC saves space for the space limited individuals.

Multiseat is actually a very good solution for couples and families to save money and space to play modern games solo or older games together. Especially now a lot of families now use tablets for most of their computing, so seeing multiple computers in the home is decreasing.
    Tegila likes this.
  12. Tegila Augur

and thats why i was looking into it. i run 4 machines now on 1 desk. most of them ARE "potatoes", which keep freezing when i afk and i have to force eq to close via task manager, thus why i was looking to just use my main, good computer with multiseats instead of upgrading or replacing said potatoes. But, theres too much question about it so ill just go with what i have and make the best of it. If i liked to box, i wouldnt be looking at multiseat software in teh first place.
  13. Tegila Augur

the reason to run a VM or whatever other methods multi-seat use, is to have independent screens, keyboards, and mice for each account. it has NOTHING to do with whether or not the system can handle the accounts at once, itd be the same system!..only running yet antoher piece of software so ...increasing the demands not decreasing them.
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Good point on the independent HIDs. Didn't consider that.

Human Interface Device
  15. Tegila Augur

thats my bigsticking point with boxing. i want to see and touch all my toons at once lol. just call me a Helicopter Gamer idk. THe furnace is being really ugly this winter and while the downstairs (where the thermostat is) is 5-10degrees below what it's set at, the upstairs (where all tehse hot little potatoes are) is 10-20degrees warmer than the thermostat, so removing extra heatsources would be fantastic, not to mention the power bill.
  16. Metanis Bad Company

This thread makes my head hurt. Windows 10 is increasingly virtualized internally. It's one of the reasons it's the most stable Windows ever. And it's the same thing with IP networks, so much is software-defined (VPN anyone?) these days. Not sure how Daybreak can hold a user responsible for these things when so much is out of the user's control. Just look at their recent problems with their own "Content Delivery System"! (Another outstanding example of a software-defined network!)
    Vumad likes this.
  17. Tegila Augur

if you really wanna call win10 stable.... (its been the least stable for me so much that i had to special order a 7pro disc for a new machine im building- pro so that if it ever does HAVE t obe upgraded to 10, itll stil lbe pro) i mean i have 2 laptops right now that need windows reinstalled because of just how unstable win10 is, and ALL they do is play videos off the home network. nothing else.

that said, the rest of your post is good logic...logic that is probably a decade ahead of DBG's
  18. Bigstomp Augur

I would be interested in running in a VM so I didn't have to bootcamp to windows.
    There are plenty of reasons to run in a VM.
  19. Slasher Augur

Why not just use windows Virtual Desktop feature ? Really no reason to use VMware for EQ.
    Schadenfreude likes this.
  20. Tegila Augur

is it jsut me or did like 6 posts disappear from this thread?