Bazaar Crooks

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Silentlyc, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Silentlyc New Member

Prices in bazaar are insane . I can't believe people buy the dropped items i there . I can see high prices for crafted stuff , but 100 pp per spider silk lol . I tried to sell a few items and the crooks snatch them up and away goes the deal . Need a way to block certain players from hijacking your stuff so they can rob people .
  2. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Your fault for not doing your research.
    Lisard, KarmaKitty and Nennius like this.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

It isn't theft if a person willingly pays. And some prices are indeed very high.

I think of it as more like a convenience store. Prices are high in those places because it’s quick and easy shopping. If I don’t want to farm it, and spider silks have to be one of the easiest items in this game to farm, I might pay up for something instead of taking the time to get it myself. In truth, I am very cheap and farmed almost all the things I needed to max my Artisan’s Prize.
  4. KarmaKitty Augur

No doubt guilty, but before you claim the prices are high go farm the item.

Also, don't discount the fee for service.

Someone striving to max their TS paid me 5K each for a drop they could easily get off a trivial mob in
    a newbie zone (like your silks). I assume, they had some aversion to being seen hunting a newbie zone or did not care to take the time to research where to get them. Perhaps they were to busy clicking on TS containers to take the time. Anyway, I still keep them in stock and they do sell.

Hell, I sell stuff that can be purchased off a vendor. Selling one (of 1000) pays for the stack with profit.

Apparently, people value the ability to bring up that bazaar window in the POK (or wherever), shop and parcel the items to the NPC right by the TS containers. Guess it keeps them focused and on plan rather than being interrupted by a hunting session.

As for the silks, 100 each is not bad for the bazaar, It could have been 1000 each. The sucky thing is you need so many of them of TS.

...and to think you sold all those (silks, pixie wings, wasp wings, royal jellies...) to the newbie vendors
    for a fist full of copper :p Oh, you say no fair your a Troll. Well, same thing different list.
    Tegila likes this.
  5. KarmaKitty Augur

Oh, the 5K was their offer in general and not my request or fee.

And they needed three, I figured "Sure, I'll take 20 minutes to hunt a newbie zone off the POK for 15K".

The poor person was happy as well. They had been making the request in general for over an hour.

If the going rate exceeds 45K/hour for something easy, it should be no surprise at some of those bazaar prices.

And the flip side is you will see TS generated items selling for well under the cost to produce. All just to tick a box on the way to 350.
  6. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

100pp for silks aint bad since most people want to buy in bulk and not waste time farming. Time is money. Thats about the cheapest thing i sell is 100pp in 1k stack size otherwise it takes up a baz slot which i could sell something for 100k. be lot nice if they expanded the baz slot so one could sell more but when you got limited space gotta be careful with what you sell. The point is people hate farming and time is money for us traders.

Andarriel
    Mukkul and KarmaKitty like this.
  7. KarmaKitty Augur

Uh, if I need any form of defense for my actions. My vendor is a SK and I'm just role playing :D
    Nennius likes this.
  8. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

I'm unclear what your actual goal is ... but if you are trying to help starting/returning players that might not have much plat, you are using the wrong window. Use /barter to purchase silks and other easily collected (and lower level) tradeskill items at a price that makes a decent wage. I have run a buyer many times over the years and try to set prices that make it a win for the collecting toon.

If I see a person sell to my buyer, I'll try to say thanks and ask if they have any other stuff I don't have a buy line for that they'd like to sell in bulk. I find all kinds of weird things (EQ players are serious pack rats) that people have tucked away. I'll also tell the person that I'll do in person deals in bulk with higher buy prices cause it's worth more to me to collect stacks at a time, rather than 1s and 2s. You do need to advertise though ... since most returning/new players have no idea about the barter system.

There's no way to stop folks from buy cheap stuff ... nor should there be.
    Svann2 and KarmaKitty like this.
  9. KarmaKitty Augur

Good point Cragzop. However, beware I have seen cases where the barter buyer was paying less than the NPC vendors. Working both ends I guess.

I would put up a buyer, but I'm too cheap to pay for a 2nd account.

I do have a couple of alternate vendors. One is stocked with lots of out of the way fish. It hardly sells anything when I have it up. Sub-115 armor and weapon drops don't appear to sell well/fast and sometimes you just can't give away the stuff.
  10. Vumad Cape Wearer

On Luclin, a Krono sells for 2.1 million plat.

So you can buy 21,000 silks for a Krono.

A krono is $18.

That means each spider silk at 100pp is worth 0.00085cents in real world dollars.

To make 85 cents per hour, you'd have to farm 1000 silks per hour. To make federal minimum wage, you'd have to farm 8400 silks per hour.

100pp per silk translated to the value of your time is dirt cheap.

The argument of course is that you don't want to spend real world dollar on Krono, because that's pay to win, but it's just a matter of how you want to live your life. Put up a barter for what you want to pay, or farm it. You don't have to buy plat with Krono. It's just an easy way to calculate the value of your time as it compares to farming (assuming you don't find farming to be an enriching gameplay experience).
    RPoo, Metanis, Svann2 and 3 others like this.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I kinda agree with this when I see bone chips for 5000 plat each - I assume they feel its a convenience thing since most folks don't want to travel to those zones to buy them off the vendor. Or they don't know you can go to those zones and buy them. They can be hard to find for new players.

How to combat this - Plop your own 5000 bone chips in baz and sell for 5 plat each. And advertise it in newplayer and general chat.

All that armor from Teeks daily's can cost quite a bit off a vendor (1500 plat) so people get so much of it they sell that in the baz for twice what you would pay off the vendor. So I sell my extra for about 100 plat each. If the baz mules want to buy it for that then let them. After all the NPC vendor will only give about 7 plat so we all make a profit.

I seldom sell to /bar anymore cause 99% of them offer 5 plat for something others will sell for 100 plat and up.

The best way to make a deal for folks is like someone above said. Wait till they offer in chat or you can offer in chat. There is really no way around sellers like that after all that is just plain ole commerce.

But bottom line also is buyer beware. Just like the newer players are out for instant gratification (due to today's generation) they have enough money to buy plat/dbc or krono and can afford or don't care or know enough to see they are getting ripped off.
  12. Svann2 The Magnificent

Anyone could farm those silks themselves, even newbies.

So "overcharging" doesnt hurt them one bit. Those high prices are intended for long time players that have plat to burn and dont mind spending it at all. Some would pay money for stuff they could literally buy from vendor, just because they dont want to travel 3 zones away to get it.
    Vumad, KarmaKitty and CatsPaws like this.
  13. Broozer Augur

We've come a long way in 20+ years lol. So what servers are we seeing these inflated prices moving products?
    KarmaKitty likes this.
  14. KarmaKitty Augur

If it is a newb overcharging for desirable newbie zone drops then good for the newb.

Long live the newb!

I'm trying to scrape together 10M in order to take/equip an alt from 85 to 115/short on AA.

BTW you can buy unlimited bone chips off an NPC vendor one zone off POK. Almost zero chance of getting killed. Research + 5 minutes game time = profit :cool: Do they even sell well ? I could see buying
    one or two in a pinch, but how likely is that ?

TS components and harder sub-combines are good. Especially when they stack (unlike armor/weapon drops).
  15. Vumad Cape Wearer

All of them where people aren't in low level zones producing a bunch of materials.

For instance, the easiest way to level up tailoring is hilt wraps. It takes hundreds or thousands of pelts to level through tailoring on hilt wraps. You don't find any of these for sale in the baz. There was 1 pelt for 500p, just the 1. Not even people buying all the cheap ones to scalp them higher. There was just 1.

The problem is that 300 tailoring is absolutely trivial by today's standards, but the problem is, the zones they come from are vacant. No one is killing the mobs that drop these items, and anyone who does sell them, is bought out immediately because it's a better option to farming or making other expensive and complicated combines.

And unfortunately, Overseer does have tradeskill items, but not much of that results in something meaningful to leveling your skills. So Overseer is meant to help you catchup, but not in a number of the tradeskills you need for the chase loot. For that, you have to go kill Grey cons, which holds you back. So the earring is very exclusive to new or returning players.
  16. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

What the heck are you buying him? That suit of gold?

Even working non prestige you can do it for almost nothing. Look at TBM - that will hold you from 75 to over 100. Do the HA's your self and you can earn 500-1000 remnants each one. Or buy the remnants in the baz. Should sell for about 20 plat each or ask in chat. The armor drops off named then you buy the augs. The augs can change out each level so the ones at 85 are more powerful than the ones you buy at 75.

You can also buy the armor and weapons with the remnants

Super augs also drop now and then and are excellent for resale in baz or personal use. Also scrapes of wither and decay drop which if you have the tradeskill level you can make a killing.

Stick to RK I spells - don't waste your play on RK II till your much higher. A 100 point damage between them isn't going to make that much difference.

As far as the bone chips go -
    Feerrot
    Dead Hills
    Brells Rest
    Oceangreen Hill
    Degmar
    Tower of Rot
    Lcea

Not zone a lot of low levels go to :) but that is what I meant about not knowing how to look something up and just buying it cause its easier.
  17. Wijimoto Journeyman

/buyer is the way to go for stocking TS stuff if you don't want to farm it. That way, you choose what you're willing to pay. Especially things that drop in low level zones, you can put up a buy at 5p and get a flood. Use them yourself or resell for profit.
    Svann2 likes this.
  18. Angahran Augur

How are they robbing people ? if they are using some hack to get items without paying then report that to DBG.
  19. Xerzist Augur

It's the unfortunate end-game of Everquest with how spread out leveling is, expansions, etc.

You go play on a classic server, progression, P99, whatever - prices matter and people will scalp you and do hard research on what they are willing to pay because plat matters more.

If you are annoyed at seeing elegant defiant gear from some scrub selling for 15k plat, just know that their "assumption" is a high level who has plat and is gearing an alt would probably buy it lol. Games just not super noob friendly anymore, although there are some good folks out there that populate the zar with lower items for cheap on purpose so kudos to them.
  20. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If you don't like the prices don't buy stuff from them. If people are paying your lower prices to buy and sell at a higer price thats how a free market works. But there is no guarentee they will be able to sell at a higher price.

In the past I've put stuff up for a very high price that I don't really want to sell, TS stuff and collects that guild mates may want that I don't want to fill the guild bank up with. Guild mates and friends get refunds if anyone else wants to pay my silly prices so be it. Refunds maybe the full amount or the cost to make the TS item depends on what the item is.
    code-zero likes this.