Help: Steam launcher won't run game on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Eknhomaht, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Eknhomaht Journeyman

How do I get the game to run?

It won't even run. I've tried compatibility with administrator privileges and disabling the fullscreen thingy. Won't work. Also tried compatibility with win 7 and 8.
    Naterbater and Luminya like this.
  2. Luminya The Ancient

My brother is also having the same issue. He uninstall/reinstall with no luck.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

It appears there is a game wide issue happening. A lot of folks have not been able to install.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

5. Eknhomaht Journeyman

That forum post is for people who can start the game. My game won't even start.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

That post is for people unable to download and test server and patcher issues, it covers a lot.

So you were able to download? Is this a new download or have you played on Steam with EQ recently? What happen when you try to log in?
  7. Eknhomaht Journeyman

I have downloaded the files via steam. The program won't even run. I only just downloaded last night.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

After you download the game it needed to patch. It could not patch because of the issue that is going on with the DNS servers

The devs are aware of the issue
    Status: 11/12/2020 8:08 PST - We are continuing to investigate an issue with launching/patching the game.
  9. Naterbater Journeyman

Any updates on this?
  10. Naterbater Journeyman

I really like that you can access the membership info and pay for a subscription, but can't download the game to actually put the subscription to use.
  11. Eknhomaht Journeyman

Ok... there is no pending patch on steam but I assume you mean the game won't open at all unless it speaks with the server?
  12. Eknhomaht Journeyman

13. Oath Elder

It's a patching issue. Steam downloads old game files.
    If you look at the icon in the game folder for Launchpad.exe it doesn't show the DBG eye icon. It shows the older SOE icon.

I downloaded it today and have the same problem on Steam. It is a bummer, man. I feel your pain.
    [IMG]

What you're seeing happen on Steam here is the launcher can't open so it doesn't and closes. This is because the launcher itself is out of date.
    [IMG]

Further proof for anyone interested can be found in log files located in these two places:
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Daybreak Games Company\ApplicationUpdater\.DownloadInfo.txt

<EverQuest Install Folder>\.DownloadInfo.txt
    Naterbater and Eknhomaht like this.
  14. Oath Elder

Presumably anyone with up-to-date game files can still log in using the eqclient patchme trick. Which you can find on the web.
    Naterbater and Eknhomaht like this.
  15. Eknhomaht Journeyman

Thank you for explaining it! See I was given just some generic catcall explanation from Customer Service that didn't seem to match up.

In the past, the Launcher would have to actually OPEN and RUN before downloading the patch, so what you're saying here is that the launcher HAS to connect to the servers to verify it is up to date before running? Because Steam is downloading the older files, and not the newer ones, it just simply won't run because it's not communicating with daybreak servers?

Or is it just that steam downloaded older files and so the steam files are screwed no matter what?
    Naterbater likes this.
  16. Oath Elder

Yeah, basically. What you see on the screen isn't the first thing the launcher does.
    My guess is that it has to be more out of date than a few patches to do what you're seeing on Steam
    Eknhomaht likes this.
  17. Naterbater Journeyman

Day three (?) of this issue.
    Eknhomaht likes this.
  18. Eknhomaht Journeyman

Ok it being THIS out of date explains why there are 2 years of complaints on the Steam Messageboard.
    Naterbater likes this.
  19. Lizzbizz New Member

Having the same issue. Launcher won't start.
    "Devs" Probably forgot to extend certificates or some other crap. :)
    Naterbater likes this.
  20. Naterbater Journeyman

I tried to ask Highwinds (the CDN) what the actual problem is, but they won't disclose information about clients.
    Lizzbizz likes this.